Costco - new 12 AA duracell 2500 lm

abhi555

Newly Enlightened
I saw this year's version duracell flashlight 2500 lm with 12 AA batteries. Thanksgiving it should be 19.99 with coupon.
Anyone find it interesting to test out? sad thing is costco discontinued eneloop, hopefully they will restock them next year.

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-24-at-3-50-47-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-24-at-3-50-49-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-08-24-at-3-50-50-PM-1.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2020-08-24-at-3-50-50-PM.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I saw those on ebay awhile back. costco will be opening soon here so something I'll have to keep an eye out for. (If I get a membership).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sounds like a battery eater...... 12AAs means a lot of trouble IMO you would be better suited to go lithium ion and spend $50-$75 for a light than feed a few hundred alkaleaks to this thing over a short period of time.

abhi555

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a battery eater...... 12AAs means a lot of trouble IMO you would be better suited to go lithium ion and spend $50-$75 for a light than feed a few hundred alkaleaks to this thing over a short period of time.

duracell always want to market flashlights that can be battery hogs ... so those who use alkalines will be keep cash coming.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
duracell always want to market flashlights that can be battery hogs ... so those who use alkalines will be keep cash coming.
There are still many lights out there that "encourage" alkaleak usage, the stores are littered with 3AAA,4AAA,6AAA,3AA,4AA, etc lights and a few C/D cell lights. I think we pretty much figure that battery manufacturers don't mind creating battery hogs at all, the cheaper the better for them. What is truly sad is the decent rechargeable options are insanely expensive in stores and often use proprietary or not easily replaceable batteries driving up the cost while greatly reducing the longevity/cost in use. For the price/size of 12AAs might as well just make it a 3D cell light IMO.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's just a light to make you buy crappy alkaleak batteries. Skip it. My bet is that it's only 2500 lumens for the first few seconds when using brand-new 1.6v alkaleaks. Probably no regulation at all.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Alkalines refuses to die even in 2020 and beyond. I am now convinced that nothing can beat them. All because they are convenient. The buy and use definitely beats, recharge and wait [emoji14] lol.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines will die when the lithium primaries are as cheap and easily found in stores as alkalines currently are.

I'm amazed that "heavy duty" cells are still around. I would have thought that by now alkalines would have killed them.

Nothing cheap every truly dies as long as there's a factory somewhere willing to make it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Alkalines will die when the lithium primaries are as cheap and easily found in stores as alkalines currently are.

I'm amazed that "heavy duty" cells are still around. I would have thought that by now alkalines would have killed them.

Nothing cheap every truly dies as long as there's a factory somewhere willing to make it.
There is too much profit in alkaleaks for the battery companies to abandon them such that they are propping up the price of them high enough that for in light use devices heavy duty batteries are competitive still. I rarely buy name brand alkaleaks instead I buy generic ones for 25 to 50 cents a battery instead of 75 cents to 1.10 or so each. I even buy heavy duty 9V batteries for some things because they are insanely priced now.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Also. Batteries tend to get tossed by accident. Rather have alkaleaks get tossed instead of a rechargeable battery mistakenly thinking it was a alkaline duracell. I can see this happen with duraloops as they almost look identical.

If anything. Lithium primaries should be the battery of choice for any AA/AAA devices for those don't want to deal with rechargeable systems and not worrying about leaks.

Why not all switch to primary lithiums? Duracell, Energizer. Just reduce the cost a little and there. I don't understand why alkalines still in this day and age?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Also. Batteries tend to get tossed by accident. Rather have alkaleaks get tossed instead of a rechargeable battery mistakenly thinking it was a alkaline duracell. I can see this happen with duraloops as they almost look identical.

If anything. Lithium primaries should be the battery of choice for any AA/AAA devices for those don't want to deal with rechargeable systems and not worrying about leaks.

Why not all switch to primary lithiums? Duracell, Energizer. Just reduce the cost a little and there. I don't understand why alkalines still in this day and age?
The reason is simple.... economics and ignorance. In order to get a decent price on lithium primaries you have to get a Sam's or Costco membership otherwise they cost about $1.50 or more each with the clubs you get them for about $1.25 each. You can get alkaleaks for about $1 each or in larger packs about 75cents each or a little less and generic alkaleaks are around 25 to 35 cents each. For people constantly buying them they don't do the math and on low drain devices the leakage is shrugged off for the savings as lithium primaries don't have any advantage in cost/runtime. I think when lithium primaries AA/AAAs patents run out then we will see everyone selling them and the price may drop to below $1 in larger packs and it will push alkaleaks down in price just below that in similar sized packs. Until alkaleaks are 6/$1 in dollar stores every day we probably won't see the end of heavy duty batteries any time soon.
I keep hoping for a new chemistry to come about with no leaks and dirt cheap and competitive capacity.

abhi555

Newly Enlightened
The reason is simple.... economics and ignorance. In order to get a decent price on lithium primaries you have to get a Sam's or Costco membership otherwise they cost about $1.50 or more each with the clubs you get them for about $1.25 each. You can get alkaleaks for about $1 each or in larger packs about 75cents each or a little less and generic alkaleaks are around 25 to 35 cents each. For people constantly buying them they don't do the math and on low drain devices the leakage is shrugged off for the savings as lithium primaries don't have any advantage in cost/runtime. I think when lithium primaries AA/AAAs patents run out then we will see everyone selling them and the price may drop to below $1 in larger packs and it will push alkaleaks down in price just below that in similar sized packs. Until alkaleaks are 6/$1 in dollar stores every day we probably won't see the end of heavy duty batteries any time soon.
I keep hoping for a new chemistry to come about with no leaks and dirt cheap and competitive capacity.

yeah lot of toys with me hard to clean due to leaky batteries. About costco, i love the membership for the quality of produce and other stuff. I know lot of people share it with friend/relative if membership cost is overhead but savings+quality is unmatched IMO.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than about 4 AA cells gets to be a PIA and duracell is not known for making very good lights, some of the older ones would melt down if you ran them on eneloops, because they relied on the high IR of alkaline cells to limit current.

If costco still has them, the 3 packs of lifegear AR Tech flashlights/lanterns are pretty good. These run on 3 AA's, have a bunch of modes and will automatically flash red when dropped in water so you can find it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yeah lot of toys with me hard to clean due to leaky batteries. About costco, i love the membership for the quality of produce and other stuff. I know lot of people share it with friend/relative if membership cost is overhead but savings+quality is unmatched IMO.
They put in a costco here after we have 3 sam's clubs all of which are miles closer to me than the costco is which is about 15 miles away while I have a sam's club at 3-4 miles from here I don't know why they decided to put the costco out of town for most in the second biggest city in the state here.
The sad thing about alkaleaks is buying more expensive batteries doesn't mean less leakage at all, just means when they leak you throw away a more expensive battery. If they could ever figure out how to make a leakproof alkaline battery they could probably sell them for $1 each all day and night but for me they aren't worth more than 50 cents.

Last edited:

RANGER295

Newly Enlightened
I am a little late to this party but I thought I would throw my $0.02 in. I have not used this specific light in question but I have bought a number of the Duracell lights from Costco in the past. Every one of them has failed on me in relatively short order. While they have worked they have been great for the price but when you add up how many you would have to buy to keep supplied you are better off spending more. I needed another flashlight to use on our ranch at night and almost bought one a few days ago then thought better of it and ordered a Streamlight ProTac HL5-X. It came today and I just took the batteries off the charger. I will try it out in a few hours when it gets dark.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont forget the junkers that had high parasitic drain.
there was a class action for those.
that 12aa series parallel mess is a disaster in the making.
that will ensure the duraleakers live up to the name!