Does the ZL H6XX need the over-the-top strap?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just became owner of an H604c, my first 18650 Zebra. Very fine headlamp. It came with the newer "seatbelt" style strap which includes an over-the-top strap in addition to the around-the-head strap. The headlamp weighs 3 oz w/cell. Do most folks leave the over-the-top strap on, or take it off? Does a 3 oz headlamp need a top strap? I don't plan on doing trail running with it.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For regular use like reading, working around the house or campsite, I leave it off.

For hiking at night, I'm still undecided which way I prefer. With the top strap on, I can loosen the strap around my head a bit. However, it does make it a bit more annoying to put on and take off.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the back/adjustment strap of a ballcap for all of my ZL headlamps.

I'd rather hat hair than headstrap hair.

Interesting. How do you accomplish that? Do you just put on a cap, and then don the headlamp over the cap? Or are you attaching the headlamp to the cap somehow? Do you find the bill of the cap cuts off the lower part of the beam?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, With regular activities it's not falling down. I do have it pretty snug and that might annoy some people.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. How do you accomplish that? Do you just put on a cap, and then don the headlamp over the cap? Or are you attaching the headlamp to the cap somehow? Do you find the bill of the cap cuts off the lower part of the beam?
Take a silicone holder ( sold as an accessory ) and weave it through the adjustable strap on the back of a baseball cap. Then wear the cap backwards.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a silicone holder ( sold as an accessory ) and weave it through the adjustable strap on the back of a baseball cap. Then wear the cap backwards.

Yeah! I like the idea of wearing a ball cap, instead of a strap. Thank You Mr. Minescence!

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I'm more of a neck light guy. For easy walking, I like using a hand held light. For hiking, I think a top strap would help, but I don't bring or use one. The weight is quite noticeable--I still debate if I should bring my H53Fc when going light. I never find headbands comfortable, unless they're over a toque or hat.

I fully recommend this mount for quick release: https://eu.nkon.nl/zaklampen/brands/armytek-flashlights/wizard-plastic-holder.html

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the top strap. It just makes it more solid and there's no risk of it slipping. You can use it without it, but since it's included why not use it?