Sylvania Osram TruWave LED bulbs

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I ran across these new LED bulbs from Sylvania in a local store the other day. The packaging was a little vague about it's benefits other than reducing blue glare and providing a higher CRI. I thought about buying one to try it out but they only came in packages of 2 or more so I changed my mind and decided to read about it first.

They've published a lot of new-age marketing hype about these lamps, however I finally found a document that offered some actual details about their tech. They claim that their blue LEDs have multiple quantum wells to produce a more broadband blue as opposed to a narrow spike of blue. They also hinted at a special phosphor mix although they really didn't offer much detail about this. The spectral chart shows a pretty contiguous spectral content that falls off towards the red end of the spectrum, so not flat but not full of gaps either.

Has anyone tried these? They're being offered in a 2700k version and a daylight version. I think they're claiming 90 CRI.

brickbat

Enlightened
This would be the Sylvania 'Natural Series' with 'Truwave Techmology'?

Lots of marketing hype - no real technical white paper, that I could find. Still - looks promising, but with no 3000 or 3500 K offerings, I'm not likely to buy any.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I developed a multiple-quantum well time machine; it has a bug though, and just repeats text whenever I turn it ON.
I developed a multiple-quantum well time machine; it has a bug though, and just repeats text whenever I turn it ON.

:)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

:)

Lol. I think your flux capacitor is leaking fluid.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I spotted a single-unit package in the store topday so I picked one up out of curiosity. It's the filament-LED design with a clear bulb.

Looking at the filament pieces, it appears that one side of each filament has a cooler-white phosphor (yellowish when off) and the other side has a slightly more orange phosphor coating. This is visible when the bulb is lit also. Each filament piece looks like a neutral/warm white sandwich.

My first impressions of the light are that it's ok, although not a wow. I haven't compared it to anything else yet in terms of color rendering.