Bulb recommendations and source for Maglite 3D

fordag

Newly Enlightened
I need a tough long running light with a bright warm light. So I turned to my Maglites, of which I have a half dozen and which apparently I have replaced all of the bulbs with LEDs.

What is the best replacement warm light bulb, krypton? halogen? (xenon is too white) and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure there are others, but I am only aware of Tad Customs. Tad shut down for a few weeks due to pandemic. I use his E socket and bipin lamps for Surefire E Series, and his M3 socket and lamps, quality stuff, recommended.

fordag

Newly Enlightened
Tad only shows xenon bulbs on the website and they are too white for my purposes. Also still shut down due to Covid.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
paging bykfixer... LOL –bykfixer knows.

Tad won't be shut down forever, and you can also source other bipin halogens to fit in Tad's bipin mag socket. CPF member fivemega may have something for Mag, also, unsure. bykfixer will know. I would guess he is probably at work until EoB EDT.

Curious to see who gets here first... fivemega or bykfixer.

I too am interested in running halogens, those cool bipins that are usually used in tracklighting under counters... lots of neat lamps to choose from, but this is all on back burners. I have some other priorities, and very limited capital, and when I do it, I have to supply a friend who is partial to Mags and is completely unaware of what hobbyist flashaholics have come up with. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I can help with a vintage looking bulb. Want bright? Fivemega to the rescue there.……

I presume you are using 3 alkaline or eneloop cells……
A Krypton bulb will be noticeably warmer than a xenon.
A Maglite 3 cell WhiteStar for example is a nice warm bulb.
A PR3 will be the warmest since it does not use krypton or xenon.

I get vintage bulbs by Tung Sol or Chicago miniatures from eBay. Maglite WhiteStar can be found there or Amazon. Oh and Brinkmann Nextar is another nice krypton but the Maglite are known to be tough.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulb recommendations and source for Maglite 3D
What is the best replacement warm light bulb, krypton? halogen? (xenon is too white) and where is the best place to get them?

Halogen WA01274U is the bulb you want but needs bi-pin adapter and battery spacer to use pair of protected 26650 cells. Obviously, replacing aluminum reflector and glass lens required.
Bright but not too white, long life and good run time.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I myself would go with PR-3 bulbs.

I'm big on the Nostalgia effect.
# Truth