Looking for a 2 for 1 (EDC & to use as a bike light)

prof student

Enlightened
I am looking for a dual pupose light -
1) as an EDC
2) to use as a bike light

I alreay use the TK09 (2016) as my EDC. Love it! Bright as can be. The only thing I don't like about it, & its huge to me, is it has wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to tight & bright of a hot spot. When using on high, especially if somewhat near, it causes too much of a reflection/blindness.

I just purchased the FD20. I was VERY underwhelmed with it.
1) there seems to be a short in the tail cap when switching modes
2) very yellowish tint. Not as bad as my TK20 (2AA), but still. Not a bright, white light.
3) the 350 lumens high is.....well, blah

I would like something that provides a decent amount of spill. The TK09 has ok spill for most duties, but would like to have a little more.
Love the zoom/spot feature of the FD20.
Don't want a bright & tight of a hot spot as on the TK09, but still want a good hot spot.

Any thoughts on either the FD30/40? I believe the have the same LED emitter as the TK09. So, could I expect the same performance as the TK09? The FD series of lights are discontinued, but a few sellers have some left over. The FD30 & FD41 have different optics. I haven't been able to find how that impacts the output (be it lumens or throw/flood). Any info would be appreciated as well.

Any thoughts on the new TK11? (is that supposed to be the new TK09? Saw a YouTube video on the new TK09 from this years SHOT show, but haven't seen a TK09 announced yet)
What about the PD35TAC? Does anyone know if the hot spot is too bright? What about the spill? & if you've compared it to the TK09, what do you think?

Thanks
:)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Looking for a 2 for 1 (EDC & to use as a bike light)

Yes. I couldn't figure out how to move it from the General Discussion to the Recomendation category.

For the future, please ask for staff assistance rather than post a duplicate.

Locking / merging / deleting and thread cleanup is more work for mods than a simple subforum move, thanks.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Bike Light Solution---

A few years ago in February, in the Midwest no less, I started bicycling to work for health reasons and for fun. All though I originally purchased it to use while shoveling snow I went with a Fenix HL60R headlamp for biking as well for the following reasons:

-When making stops around town it is a pain to keep detaching a light in order to secure it on person.
-It seems the constant jarring vibrations of having lights attached directly to bicycles does more damage.
-The headband fit securely on my helmet easily without fuss or tools, just the same it detaches quick as well.
-As for EDC, I would switch the headlamp between my helmet and backpack as easily and as often as needed.
-Repairs and adjustments to the bike were made easier and faster due to the hands free nature of headlamp illumination.
-Adjustable angles of the light's housing allows for riding upright or forward without compromising the desired beam angle.
-The unit is fully weather proof, at least for my purposes which is to stay tolerating wind, snow, freezing rain and road spray.
-If I were to crash in the middle of the street the light would still be on my person, reducing the chance of me being run over.
-I like the ability to see and be seen in any and all directions desired and at any time rather than a light source fixed to handlebars.
-The HL60R in particular can charge an 18650 battery via USB without opening the housing or simply swap a fresh battery if pressed for time.

Note: I upgraded to the Fenix HP30R but found the battery pack and cord too bulky and awkward to attach in any sort of convenient way. I now run the HP30R on my backpack for both lighting and battery bank features.