Non-stop high or turbo output

prof student

Enlightened
I see that a lot of light that run around 900-1,000 lumens have a limited time duration due to the high temperature it generates, by either time limit or a temp sensor causing the light to down step to the next lower setting.

Are than any lights that can run at 500+ lumens continuous, that won't over heat or down step?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there are a lot. 500lm is not very high today. You have a number of 18650/21700/26650 lights than can put out 1000-1500lm for an hour or more without stepdown. It's pretty much about the mass of the head which is required for sufficient heat dissipation. These usually have a max brightness of 2000-3000lm or more(with stepdown), though. It's pretty common that half of the max(usually called turbo) can maintain the brightness without stepdown.

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
Yes, there are a lot. 500lm is not very high today. You have a number of 18650/21700/26650 lights than can put out 1000-1500lm for an hour or more without stepdown. It's pretty much about the mass of the head which is required for sufficient heat dissipation. These usually have a max brightness of 2000-3000lm or more(with stepdown), though. It's pretty common that half of the max(usually called turbo) can maintain the brightness without stepdown.

Any brand/models that you recommend?
Yeah, 2,000 lumens would be cool, but can't imagine they last that long with the heat created. But, 500 lumens as a step down at a nice, lengthy rate in a hand held/EDC size would be cool.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any brand/models that you recommend?
Yeah, 2,000 lumens would be cool, but can't imagine they last that long with the heat created. But, 500 lumens as a step down at a nice, lengthy rate in a hand held/EDC size would be cool.

Among my favorites for 500+lm lights now available and pretty compact size runned by single cell are:

*Thrunite: TC15, TC20, Catapult v6(all these manage around 1000lm or more without a stepdown after a few minutes). TC15 has an allround beam, TC20 is a flooder and V6 is a super thrower.

*Armytek: Predator(thrower), Dobermann(between) and Viking(flooder). All put out more than 600lm for an hour or more.

I also like Fenix PD40 and TK35 MTG2(2cells). These are discontinued and replaced newer version. Brighter but not necessarily better.

For a bit larger lights now available with several cells are:
*Thrunite: TN42(super thrower and 2000lm for ~60min), TN36(flooder). The latter I have in the discontinued TN30 2016 version with other LEDs and lower output.
*Acebeam X45(floody beast with some throw and ~4500 lumen for roughly 90min)
Maybe worth to mention is that TN30 and TN42 belong to the few lights capable of putting out turbomode continiously without stepdown

The larger models listed don't only have higher battery capacity but also larger mass and better heat dissipation which enables higher outputs for extended periods without overheating.

Apart from these I recommend Malkoff devices. For example the Hound Dog, Super Hound dog and Wildcat.

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
Any that would compete with the Fenix PD41? (brighter, zoomable, 500+ lumens on medium for at least 1 hour on a 2600mAh 18650, and about the same size?)