Modern Maglite Modding - Been Out of the Game

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Well hello CPF,

Been quite a few years since I've been through here. I started getting into biking for my main transportation these days, which led to me picking up a Nitecore EA41. Which, naturally, led me to looking at every other light out there and here we are.

I also had the itch to start doing some of my own custom work and wanted to start with Maglite 2C lights for a cheap, easy base. Looking to stay within the ~3v range and see what can be done.

What's the latest and greatest in LEDs for swaps, tints, throw vs flood, etc.... been seeing stuff about non cree dies which was news to me. My preference for builds is regulated run times above all and somewhat throwy beam patterns. I guess my first goal would be to replicate the EA41 (~1000 lumens @ 30k cd) using 2 NiMH C Cells and seeing what I can get for runtimes.

What do you all think?

Cheers,
SZ

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to start out by perusing the maglite options at Malkoffdevices dot com.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I remember back in the day when modding stock incan maglites with multiple LEDs and custom heatsinks was the business.

nhatduongchi

Newly Enlightened
I still have my Mag 3D mod with SSC P7 running with 3x18650, don't know if any LED with the same footprint that I can replace for better performance??