UV Tactical Light?

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
So after seeing the Brinyte T18 Artemis coming out and it having a UV emitter with a tightly focusable beam it got me thinking.. Would a UV emitter be viable for defense? Would they need to be higher powered? I've seen first hand how fast you get welder's flash from an arc welder, so would a UV emitter be able to provide an immediate, and non-permanent effect on a possible assailant?

Let me know what you guys think, I don't know too much about UV emitters, so any input is appreciated!

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
It`s highly improbable to have an Instant effect, in fact if it did, it would probably mean you caused perm damage, most cases of "the flash" occur sometime after exposure.
But It`s very likely to get flashlights legislated against if it did work! :(

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how a UV source would provide any advantage for self defense. Cool white LED lights are available with much higher visible output and should provide a better disorienting/blinding effect than UV.

I tend to agree that substantial output from UV is likely to cause eye damage that could be long lasting. A legal proceeding would likely treat a UV light similar to a laser pointed into someones eyes so the whole idea is not advisable as far as I am concerned.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I cant see it really being useful. The only time I have used a UV light in anything close to a tactical situation was verifying ID's at a night club. Other than that I can not see enough light being generated by a UV light to be disorientating without causing permanent blindness. With the amount of things that flouresce under UV light it could also be dangerous to the user at those levels.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
In addition, the person that you're aiming the UV light at could simply close his eyes. You won't get any appreciable UV penetration through his eyelids, where you would with a visible strobe.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Please keep in mind CPF rules include "no posting of activities which could reasonably be foreseen to threaten any person's safety"

I'm not sure how much longer this thread may stay open, but no discussion of intentional blinding, eye damage, or the like.