Seeking the best 18650 batteries available on Amazon US store

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I know most 18650 batteries sold on Amazon are junk and there are much better places to buy these batteries. However, I'm in a hurry and need approximately 6 batteries delivered in the next 2 or 3 days, so Amazon seems to be my only choice (let me know if I'm wrong!). Can someone link me to some that are reputable and are at decent prices, and maybe state the sellers' names so I don't buy from a bad seller? Thank you!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of 18650? What chemistry? LiCO? Protected or unprotected? LiMn? Hybrid? LiFePO4?

Haste makes waste. I don't believe any Amazon seller will get you anything within a week, usually takes 10 days at least. Fulfillment from Amazon, an Amazon seller, or an eBay seller will be no faster than fulfillment from a reputable domestic Li-ion supplier, look at the page, read the reviews... I've never heard of them, but a good price. these are on sale, I recognize the brand name but I have no idea what that cell is. I'd say these are the best there are, but seller not domestic and cells not cheap. Links are to IMR or hybrid cells, don't need protection. I see there are Keeppower protected LiCo cells sold on Amazon, did not look closely at the seller, so do your due diligence.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just do an express option from Illumn or liionwholesale.com. Amazon is ridden with fake cells and even if you order from the same page where someone has had success, there is often still a chance for a different "bin" of product in their warehouse that they might pull from. Not worth it IMO.

parametrek

Enlightened
2nding the advice to avoid amazon and purchase from a solid vendor. A store that is geographically close to you might save some shipping time too. Here are all the most trustworthy vendors and where they ship from:

• Illumn (CA)
  • Mountain Electronics (UT)
  • IMR Batteries (TX)
  • Vruzend (FL)
  • Li Ion Wholesale (PA)
  • Orbtronic (FL)
  • 18650 Battery Store (GA)
  • RTD Vapor (PA)

Their entire inventories are also in my battery database for quick comparison shopping.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arch, I feel when Amazon is owner of the item, batteries or otherwise, those are the items for Buyer Beware.. imo

Orbtronic use to sell 18650 protected cells on Amz

prof student

Enlightened
What about the batteries from Fenix vendors? Are the 18560s reliable?

I have order a few thing from Fexin-Store (based in Oklahoma) & Fenix-lighting (based in Colorado, but they shipped last week from Arkansas? Dunno why....). I have recieved everything in 3 working days, i.e. shipped out Monday, got it Wednesday.

Also remember a lot of places have cut-off times to ship every day. They may close at 6pm, but their shipments go out at 4pm for that day.

Havok

Newly Enlightened
I have order a few thing from Fexin-Store (based in Oklahoma) & Fenix-lighting (based in Colorado, but they shipped last week from Arkansas? Dunno why....). I have recieved everything in 3 working days, i.e. shipped out Monday, got it Wednesday.

Monticello, Arkansas is the location of their warehouse, and their service repair center.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is KeepPower a reliable brand?
Since I'm in Europe, I can't order from liionwholesale.com, therefore nealgadgets is fine with me.

After AW's factory flooded, IMO, KeepPower are the best there are right now. There are a lot of good cells, of course... the venerable Sony VTC4 (for very high amp, yet ICR and very often without the necessary protection circuit), Sanyo NCR18650GA, and the like; VapCell is now producing some great cells in ICR and INR, in a lot of instances sold out. I like KeepPower for LiMn, and especially for their 1200mAh IMR18350 cells. KeepPower has a number of different 18650 cells in different capacities in IMR and protected ICR.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last keepowers I received were too large in diameter to fit most of my lights.
I am also looking for some new batteries, protected 18650 that are a reasonable size.

stephenk

Enlightened
Is KeepPower a reliable brand?
Since I'm in Europe, I can't order from liionwholesale.com, therefore nealgadgets is fine with me.

Yes, Keeppowers are good quality, and have excellent protection circuits. They products often evolve through multiple generations, so check the size of the listed batteries before buying.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I may be seeing things, but seems to be a belief not strictly true that the best cells have protection circuits, or that with a protection circuit one is safer, glazing over the fact that protection circuits are only necessary on ICR cells (LiCo or LiCoO2). When LiCo cells drop below 2.5V they can form crystals in the liquid electrolyte effectively causing a short and can then explode or cause a fire when recharging, thus the need for a protection circuit. If they are never put back on the charger after dropping below 2.5V, there is no concern. The circuits merely prevent the cell from dropping below 2.5V and serve no other purpose. Decent primary Li-ion cells also have a protection circuit to prevent thermal runaway.

More recent chems (IMR, INR, IFR) do not need that protection, and can drop below 2.5V, and recharge without risk of explosion or fire, taking only a hit to their capacity depending on how often and how long they drop below 2.5V.

So which is safer? A protected ICR or one of the chems that don't need protection? IMO, the other chems are safer, because protection circuits can fail.

But that is not why I posted, to evangelize the newer chem. I could care less what chems anyone uses, as long as they have done due diligence in educating themselves. I posted to make it clear to jabe1, profstudent, MaStAViC and any others that stumble across this that there seems to be a bias towards using ICR cells, because of the protection circuits, which could give a false sense of security. All li-ion cells have some risk, but LiCo cells are the riskiest (any time we have heard or things going wrong and of injury, it was either in the use of two substandard primary Li-ion cells or ICR cells), thus the need for protection circuits. Know what you're using and know why you chose to use what you chose, be aware of the risks, and don't abuse your cells.

Sorry this comment sucks.