14500 in 2020 - Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holygeez03

Enlightened
It seems like the 14500 cell is not as popular as it once was... I still use them quite frequently in a couple Zebralights and a classic FourSevens neutral tint.

I will stick with the protected button-tops... what is the best cell to get and vendor to purchase from? I care most about long-term reliability and not as much about stated mAh ratings.

Right now my quick research has found Orbtronics, which reportedly use Sanyo cells... other info and potential deals will be appreciated.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vapcell 14500s are by far the best in terms of output and runtime (1050 mAh purple. Available in both button or flat top). But they aren't protected so they might not be for you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Please note that "where to buy" threads are discouraged, as they "go stale" rapidly and are prone to commercial / ad / spam / shill posting(s)

This can stay open for a little while, but please avoid posting direct external sales links, thanks

Moved to Batteries subforum

holygeez03

Enlightened
Fairly certain the FourSevens light does not have any built-in protection since it is designed to be used with 2xAA... So I guess I will go with the Orbtronic 1100 mAh protected cells.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vapcell 14500s are by far the best in terms of output and runtime (1050 mAh purple. Available in both button or flat top). But they aren't protected so they might not be for you.

Seconded, but they are rated 1000mAh and ... 10A !! I don't see them in stock anywhere. But a little bird told me that will change soon.

The purple Vapcell 1000mAh 10A cells are INR, Lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide, so they do not come with protection, nor is it needed. They can take going under 2.5V and still be charged without exploding, just don't make a habit of it... kills the capacity, depends on how long it was down there.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
But a little bird told me that will change soon.

Just got a notice, Li-ionWholesale just got Vapcell in Gold, ICR 3A unprotected... I don't want ICR, but if I did, I'd expect them to be protected. That was actually not in the notice. I didn't see them before in stock, so maybe they were there all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.