"Blinker splitter"

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Huh. Here's an interesting device marketed by a German-based site. Called a "Blinker splitter", it's intended for people bringing US-spec cars to countries that don't allow red rear turn signals. It's an ECU to separate the stop (brake) and turn signal functions on a vehicle with combination stop/turn lights. I didn't actually buy one, but I'm bookmarking it. It's obviously way more expensive than a combined-to-separate trailer light converter, but given the lousy dependability and poor function of so many trailer light converters (nobody checks or cares if the trailer lights work properly, hence why you see so many trailer turn signals flashing out of phase with the tow vehicle's signals and assorted other faults), versus the strict vehicle technical inspections in many European countries (also Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc) I'm guessing this device probably is engineered better and works better than trying to kluge a trailer lighting converter.

And 165 Euros (price without the German 16% tax, not applicable on export sales), even plus shipping, is easily less than the bill that could easily get run up if you take the vehicle to an auto electrician and have them try and separate the functions without a module.

Looks like there's another make/version of it on this Swedish site, too.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who knew. Seems like reading about high-end german cars in the past gave customers the option to purchase a new auto and pick up at the factory. I assumed americans could do the same, then ship after a tour of the continent. Would those drivers get a waiver while in Europe or was their machine Euro compliant, I wonder?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those "Buy it at the factory" programs always involve cars built to the specification of the eventual destination country.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Interesting! I'm familiar with the opposite, the common converters sold here for tow vehicles with separate signals and trailers with combined. Too many of those are tiny cheap boxes with diodes inside, which only give signal function until the driver steps on the brake and that takes precedence. A scheme I've used is left and right "brake/signal relays" (it helps to have a tow vehicle with room for a relay & terminal box) with relay coil wired between signal and brake circuits. You get synchronized flash until the driver hits the brakes, then you get opposite flash, but the signal does take precedence. This "blinker splitter" required a bit more design ingenuity. 👍

eggsalad

Enlightened
Who knew. Seems like reading about high-end german cars in the past gave customers the option to purchase a new auto and pick up at the factory. I assumed americans could do the same, then ship after a tour of the continent. Would those drivers get a waiver while in Europe or was their machine Euro compliant, I wonder?

At least in the 1980s, European countries would issue "Temporary/Export" plates to US-based Overseas Delivery buyers, which would indicate to local law enforcement that the vehicle might not meet local codes, and was due to be exported within 30 days. I found several of the Swedish version of these when I had a hobby business of parting out old Volvos. They sold for big bucks on eBay, and I never asked any questions :)

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Virgil, do you think this would work on, say, a US-spec Jeep? For people that would want to fit the JW Speaker Euro turn signals with the slick amber lights?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Virgil, do you think this would work on, say, a US-spec Jeep? For people that would want to fit the JW Speaker Euro turn signals with the slick amber lights?

I can't think why not, it's the exact task the blinker splitter is built for.