What happens if you use a 5V 1A charger to charge a 5V 2A device?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Many users asked us, can I use a 5V 3A adapter to charge my XTAR VC2 charger (requires 5V 2.1A)? Or can I use a 5V 1A phone charger to charge XTAR 5V 2A charger, or vice versa? I always receive these kinds of questions. So many users want to know what happens when they use the wrong charger specification.

There are two points you need to know.

Firstly, the Voltage supplied by the USB power supply must exactly equal what your device requires. Or some damage may occur to either.

Secondly, the Current of the USB power supply should equal what the device requires or be larger. If it is smaller, the device may charge slow or may not charge.

A device will only draw the current it needs. Under the same voltage, if your device is rated at 2A, it will only take around 2A from a 3A output of the USB power supply, leaving a 1A of headroom. So, as long your device needs less power than the USB power supply can provide, no need to worry.

If your device is rated at 2A and your USB power supply gives a maximum of 2A or even can't reach 2A, it means it is working at 100% and will heat up. Your device will either charge slower or just drain the battery slower (if battery powered) or refuse to work (not enough power to operate).

Any more ideas or suggestions? Please comment below.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
When charging li-ions, slower and cooler is better for the battery. Meaning a lower charge current.

Last edited: