ARC-AA It had to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarky

Newly Enlightened
I know that the scratch resistance goes out the window and possibly the warranty??? but the aluminium was just begging to be seen. I have to do some more wet sanding so just ignore the small pits you can still see, tomorrow it will be polished to a mirror finish.
DSC01031new.jpg

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Did you sand the knurling all the way down, or were you turning it in something? I like the look!! What are you going to polish with? Post a final pic!!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a similar thing to a triple-A in a bench drill press one afternoon when I was bored. Used fine grit wet/dry sandpaper to strip the knurl off and polished to a shine with Brasso wadding. Excuse the bad photo, this was before I got my decent camera:

shinyarc.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

clarky

Newly Enlightened
No, the tail lug is what it all started with. It was too big to carry on any keychain so I wanted it as small/short as I could get it to carry in my pocket. Where/How could I put the clear ano over it, does it go on like paint, I had always assumed that it was similar to the chroming process.

clarky

Newly Enlightened
Oh yea, Anti, I used about 100 grit sand wheels on a dremmel to get through the ano and 400 then 600 grit to polish it by hand. Going to use a bufferpad and that paste stuff (not wax) that is used to polish metals, can't remember what it is called???

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I only have this to offer:

arcls6.jpg

Prototype Arc-LS with 2-AA twisty battery pack.

arcls3.jpg

Prototype Arc-LS power head with three battery packs.

This is a prototype Arc-LS without anodizing or texturising.
I received this sometime in 2001 (early August, if I remember correctly)

clarky

Newly Enlightened
yes, but it has been a while. LED, I've seen that ls on your site, if you still have it I'd hold on to it would make a valuable piece in a collection one day

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've received several offers from interested people before, and I've had to politely decline them. There are only two of these "bare" prototypes known to exist outside of the Gransee headquarters: I have one, and Chris M. in the UK has the other.

Yes I agree, that it would be valuable in a collection some day, but I still use mine now and again.
After all, it was meant to be tested and used, and that is exactly what I've done with mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know what Chris M. has done with his, but suffice it to say it probably isn't right to ask, so I'd better let it go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.