PLS Recommend a BRIGHT + SIMPLE black tactical that stands on its end

shintashi

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if I'm asking for a Truck with a Coup Engine here,

but im looking for a recommendation for a very bright, hand held cylinder/tactical flash light.

• has preferably 1 or nearly 1 mode (no strobe/SOS/eco/moon/etc.): Bright
  • is bright (500+ lumens. i had an old flash light rated 800 lumens in 2010.. same light is advertised 2000 lumens using same battery o_O)
  • STANDS ON END, and doesn't fall over because of button

Optional Coolness
  • has tactical bezel
  • runs on 1+ 18650's
  • is black
  • has cool metal grippy knurling

my budget is 50-100 dollars.

P.S. I had a bad experience with a Fenix light while measuring some stuff using lenses.. the eco mode kept kicking down making the light too dim to fine tune the project so i sent the light back to Amazon. Now I have amazon money, but no bright flashlight.

Please recommend Stuff!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff M61 MD2 is currently slightly over your budget but you can have it with a crenelated bezel, 450 lumens. it will run on a 18650 and it tail stands.

If you sign up for Malkoff's newsletter you'll get 20% off your first purchase which will bring the price down to your budget.

Last edited:

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Give the Olight Warrior X or Warrior X Pro a look. Slightly over budget, but fit almost all the bill, and extremely well made and I think extremely cool.

Two modes (the strobe mode on the standard Warrior X can be hidden away), the lower of the two will sustain 300 lumens at 13,000+ candela for 5-8 hours depending on standard or Pro model. The high (turbo) mode is scorching bright but doesn't last long due to thermal regulation and voltage drop.

Both versions of the light will tail stand but they are head-heavy. Battery compatibility is a bit of a snag. The standard Warrior X runs on 18650s but they have to be high-drain 15A cells. The Warrior X Pro uses a proprietary 21700. This doesn't bother me, I just keep a charge cable handy. Others hate proprietary batteries though.
The UI also takes a bit of getting used to. I found it slightly irritating until it became instinctive. It's known as "gas pedal" where a half press engages low mode and a full press engages high. But if you hold the press, it switches to momentary. Swift click keeps it on. Easier to demonstrate than explain...

Worth a look. I love mine.

shintashi

Newly Enlightened
Give the Olight Warrior X or Warrior X Pro a look. Slightly over budget, but fit almost all the bill, and extremely well made and I think extremely cool.

Two modes (the strobe mode on the standard Warrior X can be hidden away), the lower of the two will sustain 300 lumens at 13,000+ candela for 5-8 hours depending on standard or Pro model. The high (turbo) mode is scorching bright but doesn't last long due to thermal regulation and voltage drop.

Both versions of the light will tail stand but they are head-heavy. Battery compatibility is a bit of a snag. The standard Warrior X runs on 18650s but they have to be high-drain 15A cells. The Warrior X Pro uses a proprietary 21700. This doesn't bother me, I just keep a charge cable handy. Others hate proprietary batteries though.
The UI also takes a bit of getting used to. I found it slightly irritating until it became instinctive. It's known as "gas pedal" where a half press engages low mode and a full press engages high. But if you hold the press, it switches to momentary. Swift click keeps it on. Easier to demonstrate than explain...

Worth a look. I love mine.

ive got some INR 18650 25 R's from Samsung rated for 20A.

The Olights look like they have the flat base solved (i saw some streamlights that also had solutions for standing) but seem to have way too many modes.

i need a light thats 200+ lumens stable for hour+ lengths. Something like a 200-500lum/ 500-800 two mode light would be ideal.

i want more throw and less flood. The refund is going straight into Amazon so the purchase options are limited.

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging those requirements into my flashlight search finds a couple of promising options. The standout is the Sofirn SD05. This is a budget dive light of surprisingly quality. (Good enough that it is regularly recommended in recreational diving groups.)

It costs under $50 and is available on Amazon. It can run on an 18650 but was designed for a 21700 and that will be needed to achieve the advertised run times. It has no blinking modes and the lowest mode is 200 lumens.

It does have 3 different brightness levels. However I would not hold that against this light because it uses a magnetic control ring interface. Turn the ring directly to the brightness you want. An interface as intuitive and minimal as a volume dial.

Be aware that there is an older version that stepped down from high. Try to avoid that model. The newer version has flat output on all modes.

As a runner up consider the Nitecore EC22. Also under $50. It has no blinking modes and also uses a dial for control. Unlike the SD05 the dial truly acts like a volume knob - you get smoothly continuous variability from 0.5 lumens to 1000 lumens. Does that count as 1 mode or infinite modes? :)

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
ive got some INR 18650 25 R's from Samsung rated for 20A.

The Olights look like they have the flat base solved (i saw some streamlights that also had solutions for standing) but seem to have way too many modes.

i need a light thats 200+ lumens stable for hour+ lengths. Something like a 200-500lum/ 500-800 two mode light would be ideal.

i want more throw and less flood. The refund is going straight into Amazon so the purchase options are limited.

Other than price, the Warrior X fits the bill. Low mode produces 300 lumens stable for nearly 5 hours, and its dual modes are configurable so you can just leave it in the factory setting of low/high and forget about it.

Also I just checked Amazon and the Warrior X is on a limited time deal of $88.

325addict

Enlightened
I would seriously take a look at Wolf-Eyes. I have a 10+ years old Sniper with MC-E LED that fell onto the street countless times, it has dents and scratches everywhere, but it still performs like NEW. The quality of these lights is just awesome, the same goes for their batteries. This one may fall into your category:
http://www.wolf-eyes.com/index.php?m=Show&a=index&cid=56&id=301

Ot this one, with their "presettable Pro tailcap" which is in fact a tailcap with a selector ring, VERY convenient!
http://www.wolf-eyes.com/index.php?m=Show&a=index&cid=56&id=64

Also availabe with a simple tailcap:
http://www.wolf-eyes.com/index.php?m=Show&a=index&cid=56&id=63

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2D Defender has everything you want except the 18650, but will take a 16650 battery (at least a Keeppower one). Crenelated bezel suited for self-defense, all aluminum construction, 1000 Lumen high (and 5 Lm low), tail-stand capable, black, knurled grip and very rugged construction.

The dual output version can often be had for arround 150, but thats still 50 bucks more than your budget allows, but perhabs you can find a deal or sale somewhere, or get a cupon code for some online shop. I think it is worth recommending nonetheless. There is also a single-output tactical version of this light, but that one usually goes for a little more.