---Starts With A Light, Ends With A Lanyard---

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
I did not feel the Fenix E18R was a fully equipped and functional lighting system until I had at least half a dozen rechargeable batteries for it. Most of which have a built-in mini-USB port for independently charging. In this way the batteries can be charged via the E18R itself, through a standard USB cord and/or a battery charger. One light, multiple batteries and a variety of charging options gets me close to calling a system complete.

The last step of course, and this is crucial consider my forgetful nature, is the all important lanyard but those alone could fill another post. When all of the bases mentioned are covered I then feel I can move on to developing yet another system for fun, actual need or both.

Do you have similar systems or requirements for your lights? How many batteries per light do you deem necessary? When you develop a system, such as I have with the E18R, do you find yourself wanting to buy that exact light again as backup? Do you try to have a light for every common type of battery out there?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Sometimes, for some of them.
2. 16, for the eight cell lights. Eight, for the four cell lights. Six, for the three cell lights. And so on.
3. Yes. I have exact same backup for X65, MS03 and EC03 (three of them)
4. No. I do not do lithium ion smaller than 18650. So no 18350 or 14220 or 12110 or CR123, etc.

-------------
Attach a small light to a big gun, or attach a small gun to a big light?

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---MS03 & EC03---

I had not looked up those three lights before. The MS03 and EC03 certainly interest me. Thanks for mentioning them.

I like your idea of keeping double the amount of cells. I may have to switch to something similar and use that as my standing rule to even out the madness.

All though I typically run batteries from AAA to 18650 I find myself favoring 18650 more and more. I suppose the age old trade off between fire power and mobility applies to lights as well but the power and run times of larger batteries is worth the extra size and weight for me. Makes me wonder how large of a light I can comfortably carry. So far it has been the Fenix TK35UE-18.

Thanks for your response Richbuff, good talking to you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Also consider a backup light. Something small and comfortable to carry in a pocket. Doesn't have to be as capable as the primary, just reliable in case your primary konks out.

Perhaps a water tight number with an uber reliable twisty switch and a primary fuel cell.

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Primary & Backup---

Hey Bykfixer, funny you mention because I was just commenting today about that sort of thing. I call them anchors and beaters. The anchor is always larger, brighter, more expensive and integral to a specific system such as a backpack or a vehicle. The beater is interchangeable and serves as a backup or gets used to spare the anchor.

Even then there is always that part of me that wants one more layer of redundancy like a keychain light to backup a handheld beater to back up a headlamp anchor.

Last edited: