---Fall Flashlight Season---

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
Fall is my favorite time of year for endless reasons with the necessity for illumination hovering somewhere around the top of the list. As it fast approaches I would like to share some thoughts.

This weekend a local pumpkin patch, our favorite Fall family attraction, is set to open for season pass holders only and I am geeking out over being there after dark. Mazes, haunted houses, tractor and train rides through tunnels, pitch black bridges and paths, unlit fields... I dub it the beginning of Flashlight Season when lighting goes from randomly and casually needed to a more constant must have.

Areas near the Nebraska-Iowa border have been under thick spitting clouds these past few days which prompted me to clean out a large Halloween store's remaining stock of neon green glow sticks. Between lights, glow sticks, reflective patches and an overwhelming attraction to all things blaze orange I have come to realize it is the visual treat of Fall that captivates me. This brings me to my simple flashlight use and categorization: to see and be seen.

Somehow dusty sunsets and harvest moons seem all the more vibrant this time of year. I feel like a small rodent scurrying about through the leaves with slate gray clouds coming to life and rumbling over head. I cling to my lights not only for their obvious function but to wrap my hands around heat sinks for comfort against the Midwest winds while lanyards become the physical manifestation of my attachment to my lights. I turn into a child as some measure of wonder returns and simple things like flashlights amuse me all the more.

Do you find a special connection between Fall and flashlights? Do you use anything out of the ordinary to see and be seen this time of year? Do you have any stories about Autumn and lights?

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, very well written and captivating post. I don't word good like you, but here goes.

I too enjoy fall. It's a darker time of the year. My summer carry is usually a lightweight Titanium light, something with flood and not anything particularly bright.

In the fall I wear pants and more pockets and jackets that can accommodate larger lights. Also maybe even more than one.

The days are shorter and more likely to be overcast. Having a good light in autumn is useful. Also, glow in the dark beads and tritium is a welcomed feature.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

JimmyB

Enlightened
It used to crack me up that people referred to a "flashlight season" but now I totally get it and it makes perfect sense. I love Fall too and who doesn't like goofing around with lights.

Havok

Newly Enlightened
I love fall/ winter months... just so you can scratch that itch of wanting a reason to break out your favorite light, and use up some chemlights.

Right now, it's the middle of the night.. it's a brisk 54*F with a slight foggy haze... lightly raining/ drizzle... you hear it land and bounce off of cars, and the pavement with crickets in the background... then, the sound of a wet road as the occasional car drives by. How does that not make you want to go outside, and use your light.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
So relatable!
I kinda go into a pre-hibernation state where I want all the big jobs done and out the way, stock up on food a bit (a little extra each week), freshen the winter beding, stock up on lots of books, make sure all my flashlights are 100% serviced and working (alll 70+ of them!).
It`s a bit like Nesting I suppose and there`s a slight sense of urgency to it as well (never understood that part!?), we live in a 24/7 society where you can buy almost anything at any time of day, it`s not like we`re going to get snowed in for 3 months (I wish! LOL), and yet there`s this inate need to prepare for some reason? like everything`s gotta be cozy.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Accessories & Decisions---

After reading all of your posts my mind is buzzing all the more with Fall, drizzle, preparations, tritium and other glowing things!

I will have my backpack on for the outing which has a permanently mounted 1,700 lumen headlamp fixed to the chest harness that will serve to anchor the system. The secondary backup beater light is what I am going to switch up from a decently powered thrower to a Stream Light Sidewinder for the colored LED options. I'm thinking a red LED would smooth out the night, avoid cramping anybody's vision and prevent ruining the ambience of the Pumpkin Patch.

Plus I can attach a Sidewinder to each of my kids' sling bags (small messenger bags, sort of). This year I bought three strings of rechargeable LED fairy lights in an attempt to make electric glow sticks of sorts to attach to their sling bags. The idea was to cram each string of lights along with its small battery pack into some kind of translucent container. I eventually went with amber pill bottles. It worked but there was just something about it I did not like well enough to finish fleshing out the idea.

Out of the few watches I have my favorite is an orange Seiko-5 Baby Monster. It is an attention hog as it needs regular winding, setting and a flashlight to activate its glow-in-the-dark hands and markings. Its bright orange face and dark green strap remind me of hunting, pumpkins and Halloween candy. Random note: I need to pack rain ponchos, charge the camera, get more hand warmers and refill the lens wipes. So much to do this season. Time to put some coffee in my creamer and get to it!

Last edited:

Havok

Newly Enlightened
B-D.

Have you ever looked up a product called Lazerbrite? It sounds like it could work for you. It looks like a chemlight but, with LED internals.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Lazerbrite---

Havok, thanks for the info. I looked at their site but could not find any electronic glow sticks without button cell batteries. At the very least I want to be able to use AA rechargeable. I have not been able to find anything similar to a glow stick that runs off of AA and that is also no more than about $5 a piece. Nite Ize makes some neat glow sticks close to what I am after but not quite and too expensive. I may end up gluing two smaller diameter pill bottles together to achieve a longer and leaner cylindrical shape for the fairy lights.

Havok

Newly Enlightened
B-D,

I'll keep an eye out for anything that meets, or is similar to your specs.

I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
---Lazerbrite---

Havok, thanks for the info. I looked at their site but could not find any electronic glow sticks without button cell batteries. At the very least I want to be able to use AA rechargeable. I have not been able to find anything similar to a glow stick that runs off of AA and that is also no more than about $5 a piece. Nite Ize makes some neat glow sticks close to what I am after but not quite and too expensive. I may end up gluing two smaller diameter pill bottles together to achieve a longer and leaner cylindrical shape for the fairy lights.

Have you seen the Nextorch Glo-Toob? I think they'd be perfect for your application.

R

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
That was a very nice and poetic read, B-D, thank you for sharing!

Fall here, only next year. What IS coming is spring, and with it a whole lot of rain that often evolves into moderate tropical storms. They're usually directly related to how nasty the dry season was in the winter, and 2020 was a record breaker in temperature and lack of air moisture, so I'm expecting some blackouts :naughty:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like fall because the sun sets sooner giving more time to use flashlights to see all the fall colors and smells and its still warm enough you can take your time without freezing your nubs off.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like Fall best of all. There's a familiar pleasant feeling and aroma in the air that returns every year. Always look forward to enjoying those cool breeze October nights in particular.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Pumpkin Patch & Updates---

You guys certainly get me. I have been looking up the lights mentions. Thanks for sharing and for the suggestions. No purchases as of yet, funds currently being sunk into keeping a beat up Jeep on the road.

Alicia, I like a good lightning and/or flickering mode. I have a strip of LEDs that mimic storms. It is meant for fish tanks but I keep it over my work bench in the basement just for the effect. This year we ran an outlet and two flickering orange bulbs behind our front yard Fall display. It gives a bit of a camp fire feel to the hay bales and pumpkins.

Jean-Luc, I would love some rain right about now. All though Fall is gorgeous, America's Midwestern harvests pump allergens into the air. Between that, dusty trails and bon fires I woke up this morning feeling like my head was made of petrified wood. I am dying, lol.

Lean Burn, no frozen nubs yet but the air did have some bite to it last night as soon as the sun dropped. First time I have felt that this year. Seemed the humidity intensified the chill. It is certainly that odd time of year where I can somehow feel hot and cold at the same time. I have a few hooded sweat shirts with the sleeves cut off just for this weather.

Wayben, I would carry a kerosene storm lantern like a plague doctor if they'd let me but I'm sure fire code would not be in my favor. Guess we have to stick to old lights.

Well we hit the pumpkin patch past dark last night. Forgot to bring a Stream Light Sidewinder for the red LED. The light I happened to bring was too dim on low and all of the other settings were too bright. No sweet spot but it's my fault for forgetting. I suppose there is always next time which may turn out to be tonight if things go well.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halloween is pretty much cancelled where I live. Church is doing a trunk or treat, but that's about it. Forest areas are closed due to the fires, so nighttime hiking is limited. I think my flashlight use will be limited to future blackout use for the time being. Got all the time in the world right now but no money to travel and everything is closed. Dad is healing from foot surgery so I'm waiting to be able to go on hikes with him. Hoping for things to open up and get back to normal, preferably before all the good hiking areas burn.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Fenix Brethren---

Hooked, I am truly sorry to hear of your dismal situation. I hope you are able to recharge between blackouts. I am a church goer as well, officially baptized in the old Latin rite as of yesterday. Though the secular Halloween may be cancelled, Hallow's Eve and All Hallow's Day are alive and well. Friend, I will say a prayer for your current challenges. Also, I too love and collect all things Fenix.