Shining on the face of a sleeping person - super low lumens

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Even 1 candlepower, focused thru a half-inch lens from 8" away, is really really bright in the eyes.
Bonus would be penlight or larger sized, easier to find in the dark than a 2" long barrel.
Tail stand would be useful sometimes, shine it at the ceiling on a higher lumen setting but still probably less than a candlepower. A real candle is really bright in a totally dark room.

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
Zebralights have very low minimum brightness, tailstand ability and lots of other brightness options for other uses. They make great nightstand lights. The SC53c goes all the way down to .01 lumens and the neutral white is a little easier on the eyes in low light environments. The SC64w HI is my favorite overall light but probably not quite as good for your stated purpose.

edit: The SC53Fc might be even better with the frosted lens to make it more floody.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have an AA Zebralight but getting to the low-low mode is a real PIA and I can't figure out how to lock out higher modes. It wants to start in high and requires clicks to get to low, then more complicated clicking to the sub-mode low-low. The UI is not acceptable.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
That is why I love my TiS...0.04 lumens for 115hrs.

My Thrunite TH10 for 65 days on a 18650 and my TH20 14 days at .03 on a AA If I bump them to
low I get Th10 15lm for 107hrs and TH20 1.6lm for 21hrs useful for bathroom trips.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite Ti 0.04Lm firefly was the first time I fell in love with a mode. Seems to me ThruNite was a subluminal pioneer, but perhaps Zebralight was doing it first. Now everyone is doing it.

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Jetbem RRT-01 X-ML, small light with infinitely adjustable control ring. Goes from genuinely imperceptibly dim to full brightness smoothly.

The ring not button prevents accidental full blast too. I used it I check on my boy when he was tiny and it never woke him up.

Not sure if available now, but presume there are similar models with an "infinitely" adjustable mode.

Is this one attached, note I believe the RRT1 (non X-ML) is a totally different model. I think [emoji848]

ecbaea1b8509dd9c80037c00e11d5803.jpg

Hope that helps,
Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

325addict

Enlightened
Nitecore SRT7, latest incarnation has somewhere between 0.2 Lumens or so (I can tell from experience this is low enough to see the time on your watch in a pitch dark tent, without getting blind afterwards) right up to a blazing 1,000+ Lumens. And red / green / blue, strobe and beacon, all comfortably and super fast selectable with ONE selector ring! The best UI ever in my opinion. Fast reliable and of course, the light starts up next time you use it in the setting you last switched it off... and it all runs on a single 18650. And it has the ability to tailstand.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was already recommended by Richard, and I second his opinion. An infinitely adjustable light with a magnetic ring interface such as the RRT01 would be ideal in your situation. I own the light myself. The picture posted by Richie is however the older model that is no longer made. Jetbeam makes a newer version of the RRT01, which is still available for purchase. To my knowledge Nitecore also sells (or at least used to) some lights with infinite brightness adjust. I believe these can be easily found on their website. Niteeye used to make the EYE 10 and Sunwayman the v11r, both of which are sadly no longer made. I still have the EYE 10 though.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
So what is the IU for the Jetbeam & Nitecore lights?
Find the mode desired
turn it off
turns on in same mode?

How can you assure you won't accidentally change it in the dark trying to turn it on?
Can you lock it in / lock out other modes, or the ability to change modes?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
JetBeam RRT01, at least the 2012 modeled pictured above that very likely can not be found, uses just a control ring for one smeared mode, infinite ramping from low to high. But as so often happens with revisions, the product degrades. The subsequent two RRT01 models changed drastically. There is still a control ring, but also included is a tail clicky, which isn't so bad, but the head is no longer female. For reasons unknown, but apparently arbitrarily, JetBeam changed the design of the head from female to male. Everyone knows that female heads are superior.

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
So what is the IU for the Jetbeam & Nitecore lights?
Find the mode desired
turn it off
turns on in same mode?

How can you assure you won't accidentally change it in the dark trying to turn it on?
Can you lock it in / lock out other modes, or the ability to change modes?

The Jetbeam uses the ring as the in off switch as well. Once the light gets to its lowest output (basically nil), continuing the turn clicks it to fully off. To turn on again you begin turning the ring and ramp to your desired level.

Lockout is by a small twist of the tail cap.

Wish they still made that light as it was, wonder why they don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate, I don't think your Nitpicks are going to be very relevant to the user looking for a light for the specific purpose of "Shining on the face of a sleeping person". I don't think a lamp head with male threading will affect its performance in that regard. Besides that, the original RRT01 also did not have a tail switch, therefore this version is in fact truer to the original referenced by Richard. A crenelated bezel is in fact quite useful to indicate a lights active status. Should one forget to turn the light off before putting it back on the table, a crenelated bezel will let you see that before you either start a fire or drain your batteries. This actually happened to me several times.

Also, I am quite curious about your strong preference of female threading on a Lamp Head as opposed to male. Why would one be preferable to the other and what are the advantages?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allow me to enlighten you. We only have two hands. We open the light to replace the empty cell. Not much shining on a sleeping person's face with an empty cell. We have to set the pieces down. Lint, dust, dirt then gets in the exposed threads. On a female headed light, same thing may occur with the exposed threads on the body. However, the body isn't the business, and safe and easy to clean with warm water, soap and a toothbrush. Same with o-ring, remove and wash. Dry, regrease, reassemble. Get water on the wrong parts of your male headed flashlight, and it is no longer a flashlight. It is a paper weight, no more shining on sleeping faces.

I realize anecdotally it has happened to some members, that they inadvertently do not notice that they have left their flashlight on and then set it face down, forgetting about it, running down the cell, perhaps ruining the cell. But I call BS on anyone attempting to claim this is a real problem that needs solved by mutilating the bezel. PEBKAC. A far better way to solve this is low voltage protection. Where's that? Missing.

I did not mind the missing tail switch on the original. On this light, I am ambivalent about a tail switch. My point was only that it was an acceptable new feature, and the only one, the rest were decorative, but then they removed it, and left the horrid decorations.

Last edited:

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
Update!

Due to being enlightened that the rrt01 had been updated (twice now) and the original being a fav of mine (that I thought was discontinued), I nabbed the warm led version of the 2020 "raptor" rrt01 that has the rail switch.

Nice light, infinite ring is just that and starts and all but imperceptibly low. Love the extension tubes that offer 18650 (button top, protected) cells options as well. Would work well for the op's needs.

One question I have, aimed at you chaps who really delve into the specifics...
The tail switch obviously locks the light out. Does anyone know if, with the tail switch on, but the ring to full "off" position if there is any battery drain in addition to negligible parasitic drain? i.e on my bedside table, can I leave it with the tail switch on and the ring in full off position and not (practically) worry about battery drain, led life etc?

Thanks!
Rich.

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update re the treads, interesting to hear why that may be an issue.

Just to clarify, it appears the 2019 version has no tail switch and the newer raptor version for 2020 does. So the latest revision has the tail switch you prefer and it wasn't removed in a later version.

In any event, either would be fine for the op's use but the warmer tint led option available on the 2020 model only may be nicer for late night domestic use.

Rich.

Allow me to enlighten you. We only have two hands. We open the light to replace the empty cell. Not much shining on a sleeping person's face with an empty cell. We have to set the pieces down. Lint, dust, dirt then gets in the exposed threads. On a female headed light, same thing may occur with the exposed threads on the body. However, the body isn't the business, and safe and easy to clean with warm water, soap and a toothbrush. Same with o-ring, remove and wash. Dry, regrease, reassemble. Get water on the wrong parts of your male headed flashlight, and it is no longer a flashlight. It is a paper weight, no more shining on sleeping faces.

I realize anecdotally it has happened to some members, that they inadvertently do not notice that they have left their flashlight on and then set it face down, forgetting about it, running down the cell, perhaps ruining the cell. But I call BS on anyone attempting to claim this is a real problem that needs solved by mutilating the bezel. PEBKAC. A far better way to solve this is low voltage protection. Where's that? Missing.

I did not mind the missing tail switch on the original. On this light, I am ambivalent about a tail switch. My point was only that it was an acceptable new feature, and the only one, the rest were decorative, but then they removed it, and left the horrid decorations.