Illuminator III Build Info - Updated

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the donor lights arrived, I finally got started on the LI III build. Like most projects, there is always something you didn't foresee. In this case, it's that most of the heatsinks were slightly concave in shape from being punched out. That required both front and back surfaces to get ground flat, which then required them to get progressively lapped 400/600/800/1500 grit to get the smooth surface required for maximum heat transfer.

il3_build2.jpg

If that wasn't bad enough, they are slightly too large in diameter to cleanly fit into the flashlight head, so the diameter has to be filed down a few thousandths. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sore fingers are just part of any batch mod project, but these are really making it seem like I've hacked them out of raw square stock or something.

il3_build1.jpg

The converters are all in final burn-in testing where each gets 30 minutes of run time to make sure no losers get in to the final flashlights.

That's all for this update, time to take these sore fingers back to the workbench.

Illuminator III Web Page

Update 3:30 Sunday - after about 70 hours of total labor (including ArcMania's time populating the converters) I have three units ready for final assembly and the one complete black prototype unit.

il3_build4.jpg

These will get tested tomorrow and the first list notices sent after that. My fingers are sore, and it's time to take a brake for the rest of the night.

All the converters are potted, heatsinks finished, and donor lights readied. Reflectors still need cut, but that's best done individually for optimum focus during final assembly. Progress continues .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ubermensch

Enlightened
Do you know how hot these things can get? Because if a bb750 gets up to 170 deg, that means this could get up to 250 deg? Is that even possible?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
Do you know how hot these things can get? Because if a bb750 gets up to 170 deg, that means this could get up to 250 deg? Is that even possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not recorded anything over 133.3F during unattended run time testing. Part of the thermal management has to do with the supper efficient converter ArcMania put together for this project. Even though the batteries themselves heat up from the current draw, the converter runs supper efficient and cool. We want those electrons making photons, not heating up the flashlight.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
The Illuminator III is here. Got mine today.

Thanks Kevin.

Just wait until its dark.....

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I screwed up a disc in my neck and have had to spend a lot of time staring at the ceiling lately.

Monday I shipped all the IL III's that were paid for by 4:00PM CDT, and the same on Tuesday, which means if you've paid, your flashlight it is in the mail on it's way to you.

Thanks!!

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
Ok I'm trying to email Lambda but my isp is apparently blacklisted or something. Is anyone else having this problem? Kevin, I emailed you a couple weeks ago about being on the preorder list and you responded. I'm just tring to find out if I missed an email from you since then because I haven't received any info about sending payment but apparently others are sending payments and you are shipping the flashlights. So please let me know what to do. THanks! I hope you get some good neck rest and get well soon.