BQ-CC65 and Eneloop?

pmm_fin

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I just bought this Panasonic charger since I wanted to charge single batteries as well as know when they are actually fully charged.

However, it refuses to charge maybe one in three Eneloop's that I have (that are not that old either). It just shows empty battery image with exclamation mark, the manual states this as "abnormal" with no further explanation.

What gives? These batteries still work on my devices and the old simple Sanyo charger seems to charge them just fine. Is the CC65 very picky checking the status of the batteries and can this be bypassed? I don't think Eneloops become dangerous when they go bad.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably measuring their internal resistance as too high, and aborts because it thinks they might be alkaline cells. Sounds like the charger is a bit too sensitive. This is normal behavior for old or worn-out cells, but if your cells are fairly new and haven't been used a lot, then it should charge them.

Is it always the same slot?

pmm_fin

Newly Enlightened
It's probably measuring their internal resistance as too high, and aborts because it thinks they might be alkaline cells. Sounds like the charger is a bit too sensitive. This is normal behavior for old or worn-out cells, but if your cells are fairly new and haven't been used a lot, then it should charge them.

Is it always the same slot?

The slot makes no difference. They seem to take charge well with the old charger, the voltage is alomost at 1,5V now but still no charging with CC65. 2/6 AAA and 1/3 AA regular Eneloop so far fail to charge. 4/4 AAA and 4/4 AA Eneloop Pro charge ok.

Now that I think, I can't vouch for the freshness of these batteries. All failing ones are Sanyo, all Panasonic are ok (actually only one AAA cell is Panasonic). They shouldn't be anywhere near max cycles though.