NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Who's making the better uv led flashlights?

Default Who\'s making the better uv led flashlights?

These things are becoming popular rather quickly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img]
    If you have any thoughts or impressions of a UV led product that you have or would like to have, I for one would like to know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif[/img]
    Any thoughts on eye protection for them would also be greatly appreciated by us all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    It has become disturbingly clear that nobody on the net has functional, replacement eyeballs to replace any that get damaged from the uv light. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Who\'s making the better uv led flashlights?

TheFire makes the best one IMO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] OK, it's not a commercially available product but you should check it out anyway. The Inova X5 UV is another great UV LED light. It will suck a set of 123's dry and get great runtime. Finally an Arc AAA UV (discontinued) is one of those things you gotta have if you need a pocketable UV source. Not as powerful as the former two but in its size, it's in a league of its own.

As far as eye protection, I use the UVEX Patriot. I'd like anyone to pipe in if they know of a better UV blocking eye protection that works around 395nm. I just got the 6W UV Paul made about a week or so ago and bought the eye protection immediately after seeing how much UV that thing puts out.

CM

Patriot is the frame color - red, white, blue.
    Here are the lens options for UVEX glasses - Lens Chart

Flashaholic

Ditto on the X5T - I use it for blood detection and it works great - lights up a large area and with enough power to penetrate fabric etc...

If it matters to you, it also come in a great little package of the usual nylon X5T holster inside a pair of nesting square black tubes - this gives a lot of protection and gives you space to label it DANGER UV!!!...

I love my Inova X5 UV, quality build and puts out plenty of light for me. Although the [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif[/img]scorpions aren't too enthused about it.

Flashaholic

I've been building a "shirt pocket model" with 8 x 5mm LED's.
    They are all 395nm and have a 15° narrow beam. I tried about ten different UV LEDs before I found good matching and proper wavelength. Many of them performed poorly on fluorescent objects.

The light is powered by a 1800 mah rechargable lithium-ion battery. Weight with Li-Ion is only about 3 ounces. Run time is three hours (direct drive). Rocker switch is momentary for safety reasons.

It charges from either AC or 12 VDC regulated supplies in about 2.5 hours.

I have sold a few of them to be used as UV inspection lights commercially.

I also did a couple with 8 10,000 mcd white LED's also.

A photo is at:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/blklt1.jpg

Larry Cobb
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]