NEW Philips XtremeVison Pro150 (+150) and Philips RacingVision GT200 (+200)

FartMaster3000

Newly Enlightened
Wow! It seems Philips is going to come out with two new tier of halogen bulbs, the Xtremevision Pro150 (+150) and the Racingvision GT200 (a +200 bulb!)

What do you guys think of this? Pretty cool IMO, it's been some time since Philips has come out with something with more power. They did have that G-Force bulb which resists vibrations and shocks which is cool. They managed to keep the 150+ bulb around 450 hours compared to the previous Racingvision +150 bulb's ~200 hour lifespan. The innovation continues... :)

Xtremevision PRO150: https://www.philips.ie/c-e/au/car-lights/headlights/xtremevision-pro150.html

RacingVision GT200: https://www.philips.ae/c-e/au/car-lights/headlights/racingvision-gt200.html

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! It seems Philips is going to come out with two new tier of halogen bulbs, the Xtremevision Pro150 (+150) and the Racingvision GT200 (a +200 bulb!)
+200 compared to legal minimum standard, which may be a change from if they'd claimed +X compared to the nominal standard.

The usual warning of reduced bulb life applies.

The video touts the filament precision and the better resulting beam focus. This is probably the greatest contributing factor to the the bulb's performance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Pretty much the same as all previous steps on this staircase: a little more and better light than the previous step (minus losses due to the blue coating) and a little shorter life/durability.

To me, the most interesting bulb of all in these new Philips lines is HIR2+150. Too bad no apparent availability of it, or I'd buy and try some. Doesn't look like there's a corresponding HIR1, a shame.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how much can we expect the high beam filament to be negatively effected by the blue banding, in comparison to say a xtremevision +100 with no blue banding over the highbeam filament?

Also, other than the obvious push by the marketing departments to push bluer=better, why is blue the go-to filtering color for most bulbs? Why not yellow?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't have data for this specific bulb, but I do have data for the Sylvania ZxE 9003, which is their street-legal bulb with the darkest blue coating.

The following figures are (high beam lumens/low beam lumens):

WITH the blue coating, and operated at 12.8 volts, that bulb produces 1380/860 (minimum legal output is 1350/819)

WITHOUT the blue coating, that same bulb operated at the same 12.8 volts produces 2000/1340

That means the blue coating reduces intensity by about 33% on high beam, about 36% on low beam. Yuck!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, other than the obvious push by the marketing departments to push bluer=better, why is blue the go-to filtering color for most bulbs? Why not yellow?
It's possible the off-axis yellow light may reduce the visibility of front turn signals to some degree. It may also be related to the materials needed to make a durable yellow coating (not that we haven't seen all kinds of yellow headlamp bulbs out there).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Also, other than the obvious push by the marketing departments to push bluer=better, why is blue the go-to filtering color for most bulbs?

Fashion fad, pure and simple. There's no other real reason for it (just a bunch of made-up cockamammy baloney about "whiter light" and "closer to natural sunlight" and all the rest of the nonsense claims).

Why not yellow?

Technically there's no reason why not yellow. There are yellow-coated bulbs on the market, like these (a type applicable only to fog lamps) and these (a type also applicable to headlamps, so has to have "plausible deniability" about white/yellow) and these (no "plausible deniability" from this brand, and LOL @ "2500K" claim).

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
Those last ones are terrible. I regrettably installed them in my wife's 911. At first they are fairly yellow and then they turn almost amber in color. She never uses them anyway.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A user on tacomaworld is reporting that they were able to order a set of these new Philips pro +150 h11 from powerbulbs and got a shipping confirmation.

Travler

Newly Enlightened
A user on tacomaworld is reporting that they were able to order a set of these new Philips pro +150 h11 from powerbulbs and got a shipping confirmation.
They are showing in stock for the H4 versions of Pro150 and GT200

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
On tacomaworld, thread author Craahnburn80 has posted some testing of the Pro +150 H11.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ctor-headlights.589465/page-172#post-24327146

It looks like it does not perform as well as the GE/Tungsram Megalight +130, but it is an improvement over standard H11, and it does claim a much linger lifespan than the GE/Tungsram bulb, which should be a benefit for people whose lamps are hard to access.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
It looks like it does not perform as well as the GE/Tungsram Megalight +130, but it is an improvement over standard H11, and it does claim a much linger lifespan than the GE/Tungsram bulb, which should be a benefit for people whose lamps are hard to access.

Tungsram claims a Tc of 250 hours, not 150, but that's still significantly less than 400 and I can understand why some would prefer the Philips because of that.

Some of the posters on that thread are concerned about the deepness of the tinted bands, but for single filament bulbs it has no effect on the light output that ends up on the road. Unfortunately, with H4 bulbs the band ends up around the high beam filament and that reduces its output. Depending on how much you use your high beams, it might not be a good tradeoff.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of these different evolutions of H4 bulbs, comparing both low beam and high beam outputs. Let's say Philips XV100 vs. XV130 vs. XVP150 vs. RVGT200. How much high beam performance are we actually giving up, and how much low beam performance are we getting?

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your point about the blue banding on h4 bulbs. I already have auxiliary highbeams, so the effect is less significant for me, regarding highbeam performance loss, but it would still be interesting to see low and high beam performance across the range, back to back.

robscorpio

Newly Enlightened
I don't have data for this specific bulb, but I do have data for the Sylvania ZxE 9003, which is their street-legal bulb with the darkest blue coating.
The following figures are (high beam lumens/low beam lumens):
WITH the blue coating, and operated at 12.8 volts, that bulb produces 1380/860 (minimum legal output is 1350/819)
WITHOUT the blue coating, that same bulb operated at the same 12.8 volts produces 2000/1340
That means the blue coating reduces intensity by about 33% on high beam, about 36% on low beam. Yuck!
Wow. I would love to get a little over 2000 lumens - I don't care about the color , it's crazy adults (!) riding bicycles near Miami with no reflectors at 2 AM and crossing streets in odd places etc. whom I need to see. I may have been getting 2200 to 2400 lumens on high beams with the 64205's the last 5 years .
Layman only =please excuse wild guess .
I don't remember any blue on the 64205's and they were getting 13.6 volts in my car .
They had a thick high beam filament compared to the + bulbs of today.
I remember you mentioned they were a +50 bulb and superior in some ways to the 80 watt rallyes - was that you ?
I understand the marketing but on the Sylvanias but that is a lot of light to throw away .....

Anyway I have a pair of H4 GT200s on the way , which have up to 400 hour lifespan -
reasonable trade off.

Can't help wondering what these would be like with no blue coating .

My low beams are rather low so my high beams can be used more often without bothering anyone , not used on left turns or narrow 2 lanes , I only got flashed about twice during 5 years of 70/65 watt Osram Rallyes.

I think the GT 200's will be good.

In my next car - I will get projectors with proper LEDs I think - the factory LEDs on some of the vehicles are very impressive on cutoff and throw .

However - some BMWs have a little banding in the beam as projected on the road - I am spoiled by Halogens uniformity although I think the newer vehicles have very nice beams , on few I have driven or been a passenger .

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't remember any blue on the 64205's
There wasn't any.

They had a thick high beam filament compared to the + bulbs of today.
Not really. The difference in filament size wasn't really perceptible without technical equipment.

I remember you mentioned they were a +50 bulb and superior in some ways to the 80 watt rallyes - was that you?
The "+50" doesn't sound familiar. Yes, the 70/65w bulb was superior to the 85/80w bulb in some fundamental ways.

Anyway I have a pair of H4 GT200s on the way , which have up to 400 hour lifespan -
reasonable trade off.
Assuming those numbers are realistic (see here and here )...!

What trade off are you talking about here? Good low beam performance with those, but the blue tint around the high beam filament takes a baseball bat to your high beam's knees.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Pretty much the same as all previous steps on this staircase: a little more and better light than the previous step (minus losses due to the blue coating) and a little shorter life/durability.

To me, the most interesting bulb of all in these new Philips lines is HIR2+150. Too bad no apparent availability of it, or I'd buy and try some. Doesn't look like there's a corresponding HIR1, a shame.
I'm on chat with Philips now trying to find 9005 and H11. The chat drone doesn't know what I'm talking about and is giving me a link to the X-treme Visions.

edit: I sent him a link and he says they're sorry and not available yet.

Last edited:

EJR

Newly Enlightened
I'm on chat with Philips now trying to find 9005 and H11. The chat drone doesn't know what I'm talking about and is giving me a link to the X-treme Visions.

edit: I sent him a link and he says they're sorry and not available yet.

H11 found HERE.
9005 found HERE.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm on chat with Philips now trying to find 9005 and H11.

Meh. Why bother? You can already get bulbs for those types, better than anything Philips has (Toshiba 9011 for the 9005, and either a good H9 or Stern's H11 +140 with no blue tint). Or do you want these for testing and quantification?