ArmyTek        

Thread: Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights for helmet

Default Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights for helmet

Hi,

I used to be a regular here, but I have not brought any fancy new lights for probably at least 5 years I would say, and my old collection is starting to die and I am starting to run low on lights again.

Today I am here seeking advice from people who have up to date info on good LED lights, specifically two. Here are the requirements:

Both must fit in a Blackjack BJ005 under brim mount on a Pacific BR9 helmet (Basically, single 18650 or 2x CR123 1 inch tube with a bezel size that is not excessive, with no non-removable cigar grip style rings)

I would like 1 to be a very "floody" light (ideally pure flood with no hot spot), and one to be a very "throwy" light (to the degree possible with limited bezel size)

I need to be able to turn the light on, have it on full brightness, and turn it off again with hands in thick leather gloves while attached to the helmet, so basically lights that can be mostly operated with a protruding tail switch. My Fenix SD-SomthingOrOther with the twisty controls would be out of the running.

Does not need to be intrinsically safe, and most bright lights are not, I already have intrinsically safe options if required (couple of Streamlights).

Am after at least 300 lumens, prefer 600+, with very good reliability, waterproof, for USD $150 or less (for each light)

Being as light as possible is a bonus, because having weight on one side of the helmet can cause some issues with the helmet tilting around and annoying me.

I have purchased a number of Fenix, Eagletac, Olight, Streamlight, Surefire, Klarus and Zebralights in the past, I did not have good luck with either Eagletac or Olight, so I would probably avoid those, my luck with Zebralight is borderline. Before posting this I did go to the Fenix website but back in my day they only had TK and E and a couple of other series, now the options are overwhelming, hence I am here . The Fenix's seem to have also gotten more complicated since I last purchased one, and for this use complicated is not an advantage. I think right now I am leaning towards Surefire at least for the "throwy" option but I would like to hear the forum recommendations before getting anything, mainly because Surefire is a little out of budget right now given I think I need 2 of them and my bank balance says i don't need any...

Thanks in advance guys and girls.
    Fenix TK10/11/20/40/41 e20/01 LD01SS/40 L0D HP10|Zebralight H501 H501 H501|4Sevens Preon2-Titanium Preon2-Black 123-Turbo RGB-NW RGB-CW|Mini Maglight|Gerber Tracer|Romisen Flood2Throw-Neutral|Streamlight ProPolymer-4xAA|Tiablo A8-with-Aspheric|Random cheap rubbish

Default Re: Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights for he

Oh, I forgot, battery must be removable and swappable easily.
    Fenix TK10/11/20/40/41 e20/01 LD01SS/40 L0D HP10|Zebralight H501 H501 H501|4Sevens Preon2-Titanium Preon2-Black 123-Turbo RGB-NW RGB-CW|Mini Maglight|Gerber Tracer|Romisen Flood2Throw-Neutral|Streamlight ProPolymer-4xAA|Tiablo A8-with-Aspheric|Random cheap rubbish

Default Re: Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights for he

I have used these with great success in Headlamp aplications. I got a pair for my Vetenerian who uses them for cremations.
    Single IMR RCR123

Foursevens Mini MKIII

Foursevens Mini MKIII Turbo

Wish all those effected by these wildfires to be Safe
    Take Care
    GL

Edit: I also like the Foxfury series of lights for firefighting applications.

Last edited by Got Lumens?; 09-13-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    I have used these with great success in Headlamp aplications. I got a pair for my Vetenerian who uses them for cremations.
    Single IMR RCR123

Foursevens Mini MKIII

Foursevens Mini MKIII Turbo

Wish all those effected by these wildfires to be Safe
    Take Care
    GL

Edit: I also like the Foxfury series of lights for firefighting applications.

Thanks for your reply.

I had a number of 4 Sevens lights in the past and had reasonably good luck with them, I thought they had gone but a short google search finds they have just been brought out.

I think I would prefer a full 18650 size for the extra run time at a higher lumen output, it can be a bit of a pain to change batteries out half way through an incident sometimes.

I had forgotten all about FoxFury, I thought they were really expensive but I just checked the site then, looks like the prices have come down.

I would suggest the Surefire G2X 15/600 lumens and add a flip-down diffuser for when you need it.

You can also mod you light's lens with diffuser film or remove the reflector to get more flood from you light.

Here's an old thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...p-closed!-Pics!

It looks as if Blackjack likes the Surefire, too.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adnj; 09-13-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    I got nothing else to say...

Quote Originally Posted by adnj View Post
    I would suggest the Surefire G2X 15/600 lumens and add a flip-down diffuser for when you need it.

You can also mod you light's lens with diffuser film or remove the reflector to get more flood from you light.

Here's an old thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...p-closed!-Pics!

It looks as if Blackjack likes the Surefire, too.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
    Thanks,

The G2X is on my favorite candidates list, along with the Fenix FD41. I'm not a massive fan of diffusers normally as they reduce output significantly, I would rather use a lens like the Fenix does, but I think the G2X could be a good candidate for the longer range light.

I ran a surefire G2X tactical on my structural helmet when I was still on the department. It was just about ideal. Simple, rugged. A little short on battery life I suppose. I liked the one mode with forward tail clicky as it was dead simple to operate with gloves and under stress. I melted a helmet in a burn house once and the light didnít show anything somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    I ran a surefire G2X tactical on my structural helmet when I was still on the department. It was just about ideal. Simple, rugged. A little short on battery life I suppose. I liked the one mode with forward tail clicky as it was dead simple to operate with gloves and under stress. I melted a helmet in a burn house once and the light didnít show anything somehow.
    Thanks, I am stuck with an intrinsically safe light on my structural helmet, which is a comparatively low output Streamlight. I do have a halfway decent angle light on my jacket though. No such intrinsically safe limitation for this wildfire helmet though fortunately.

I think I am going to run a Surefire (maybe G2X, maybe I pony up for the Fury, or maybe I save money and use my old 6P I already have) for my longer range light and the Fenix FD41 for my pure flood light.

Default Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights fo...

That old 6P with a McClicky switch and a lumensfactory drop in (do the nichia 319) would likely serve very well!

I originally ran a surefire g2L-fy which was rated as intrinsically safe. Most of the guys did and do run the streamlight helmet mounted lights which have pretty good specs.

What chest light do y out run? Despite the fairly unimpressive specs those streamlight survivors really worked well. I still have mine, though it doesnít see any use now.
    Last edited by Buck91; 09-15-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Default Re: Help me choose 2 wildland firefighting (bushfire here in Australia) lights fo...

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    That old 6P with a McClicky switch and a lumensfactory drop in (do the nichia 319) would likely serve very well!

I originally ran a surefire g2L-fy which was rated as intrinsically safe. Most of the guys did and do run the streamlight helmet mounted lights which have pretty good specs.

What chest light do y out run? Despite the fairly unimpressive specs those streamlight survivors really worked well. I still have mine, though it doesnít see any use now.

The chest light is a Streamlight Survivor, one of the newer model ones. The specs are not great I think it is only about 200 lumens, but the throw is pretty good given the output so thats OK.

My helmet light is just a 2AA Streamlight pretty sure its under 60 lumens and is almost pointless except in the darkest of places.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Ouput is a lot lower than I am looking for, thanks for the link though.