how often do i recharge my 18650 batterys in storage?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have many stored in plastic 18650 cases. how often do i need to recharge them?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 4 for 2 hosts. About every two months or so, I use up one of the cell's capacity, rest it, charge it, and place it ready at the end of the my rotating 18650 line. So IOW, I'd like to know, too.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
if you Must keep them charged and they don`t have a protection circuit on them, then check on them every couple of years. I had one cell fully charged that got completely ignored in some camping gear for over 4 years, took 20 mins on the charger to top it back up!

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
Often enough so that they are **certain** to stay above say 3.2V

Do not store at higher than 3.7V or so

30-40% SoC is a good starting point

Start off checking monthly, scale back over time as you get familiar with the actual discharge rate

Cold temperatures helps a lot, also for longevity

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is "awhile?" A month? 6 months? 2 years?

Something just occurred to me. I don't doubt the advice, and I follow it. But why would long term self-discharge of a full Li-ion battery adversely affect it in any way? Isn't self-discharge the same as an extremely low amp draw? Are such extremely low amp draw applications not suitable for Li-ion?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking charging up batteries to full charge just for them to sit is going to do more harm than good. It is best to leave cells charged to about 50% capacity or ~3.6V if they are going to be sitting for along period of time.

Charging cells, especially charging them quickly, is ultimately what wears most on a battery's life span. "Topping" cells off is probably the worst practical thing you can do to a battery.

If I know I'm going to leave an 18650 in a light for along time, I will probably only charge to 4.0 or 4.1V since you drop from 4.2V massively quick even in 21700 cells. Any typical high quality cell from brands like LG, Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic will drop at most 10% of charge over the course of a year from fully charged.

Please note as I say batteries here I'm thinking specifically about Lithium ion.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Something just occurred to me. I don't doubt the advice, and I follow it. But why would long term self-discharge of a full Li-ion battery adversely affect it in any way? Isn't self-discharge the same as an extremely low amp draw? Are such extremely low amp draw applications not suitable for Li-ion?

EDIT (see discussion with @HKJ below) ...

Li-Ion cells will eventually self-discharge to an unsafe voltage. Even "protected" batteries are not immune from (albeit slow) self-discharge.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
They will eventually self-discharge to an unsafe voltage. Even if "protected" those circuits may not trip the over-discharge detection, because the drain is so low and slow.

actually With protection, even in storage you have to check them more often because the circuit itself uses power, that`s why I mentioned them in my first post. Unprotected and out of circuit (in a plastic box for instance) they`ll be good for years.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will eventually self-discharge to an unsafe voltage. Even if "protected" those circuits may not trip the over-discharge detection, because the drain is so low and slow.

Right, but then why not leave them at full charge, and instead store at 3.7V? Wouldn't a full charge give them the ability to store longer? I always took the advice to leave them at 3.7V for storage at face value... should have asked "why" earlier.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Right, but then why not leave them at full charge, and instead store at 3.7V? Wouldn't a full charge give them the ability to store longer? I always took the advice to leave them at 3.7V for storage at face value... should have asked "why" earlier.

From what I understand it stresses the cell and lowers the amount of charge discharge cycles so does heat, for instance a cell charged to 4.2v will give you roughly 300-500 charge cycles, But... if you charge them to 4.1v you get about 600-1000 cycles!
So you can do it, but it will reduce the active life of the cell, charge it to 3.9v and you can get about 3000 cycles out of it!!!! and when you look at the dischage curve of Li-ION they spend most of their time delivering power at 3.7v anyway, so it`s no great loss only charging to 4.1 or 3.9 even. :)

edited to add: I found this, it may be helpful; https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charge them to 3.75v, then put them in long-term storage. I check them every 2 years. They lose very little voltage over that time, so I suspect I could leave them for over 5 years no problem.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
The total amount of time spent at high SoC should be very low for all LI chemistries, as a lifetime percentage.

I would not let my cells sit near Full more than a few hours before discharging.

If a big race required doing so overnight once a month, that's not so bad.

_____
The **process** of self discharging is NP, nor are extremely low amp draw applications.

You just must avoid allowing that to continue until the cell goes dead flat, even just once can destroy the cells, or t leas take away 90% of their useful lifespan.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, yes, and yes.

High SoC (most especially at elevated ambient temperature) is bad for capacity.

Low SoC will eventually drain, with or without protection circuits, into unsafe voltage.

If they have been too low, for too long, when recharged they may go :poof:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Even if "protected" those circuits may not trip the over-discharge detection, because the drain is so low and slow.

Protection circuits do not have an special circuit to disable them at low current, they work at any current!
But they have nothing to do with self discharge, except they increase it a bit due to their current draw, that is very small.

Generally checking a battery once a year is more than enough.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know about the ideal storage voltage of around 3,7V. But I just have too many batteries to keep track on so my batteries usually are more or less fully charged. And especially with Li-ions(because of the very low self discharge) I usually never need to check out that they don't become depleted. Yes, it has happened in a light because of parasitic drain.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Protection circuits do not have an special circuit to disable them at low current, they work at any current!
But they have nothing to do with self discharge, except they increase it a bit due to their current draw, that is very small.

Generally checking a battery once a year is more than enough.

I did not mean to imply that protection circuits are intentionally disabled at any current draw, instead that they do not prevent self-discharge.

archimedes

Flashaholic