NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

Default Re: 7 day rotation

Day 3. Today's carry is an aluminum Okluma DC1. A very special light. Oh, it's not fancy in looks, but it's rock solid in performance. Part of the attraction of owning an Okluma is Jeff Sapp. There are MANY reliable lights out there, and Oklumas rank with the best - but Jeff's customer service is right up there with the best of all of them. Maybe THE best.

This light has an engine that Jeff built for me to my requested specs. Copper pill, H17F driver, and 3 gorgeous "Andy Zhu" Nichia 219B SW35 R9080 emitters. The beam is just wonderful. Soft and warm and easy on the eyes. Colors just pop.

One of the things that Jeff does that I really appreciate is his treatment of the positive battery contact. I've seen many of these with springs, and that's fine, but this solid battery contact just seems more robust to me.

This is one workhorse of a light, and you can tell by looking at it that it hasn't been babied. I am the original owner and have had the light for about 3 years(?), and it has been carried in my pocket with my keys and change.

I always enjoy carrying this light - even with the copper pill it weighs only 3.5 ounces.

I really appreciate the contributors posting images of their awesome lights, even if it makes me envious.

These really aren't rotation, I don't really rotate. I carry one, but grab others as needed for the task. But as of today, I'll probably be rotating the SC5c II for days, and SC53c for nights, unless, again, I need something else for whatever reason.

disclaimer: it is not that I can't compose or take a picture. The problem I have is a lack of choreography. My hands shake, making this a precarious domino set up.

L to R
    1) Surefire M3 head with Tad Customs M3 socket & FM1794, Leef 18650 w/ 2x KeepPower 3.7V IMR18350 1200mAh, Lumens Factory Seraph tail cap w/ Lightsaver Miser switch
    2) Surefire Elite head, Tad Customs E socket & A6010, Surefire E2L AA DSS w/ 2x Exell 3.2V LFP14500 600mAh, Lumens Factory z54 tail cap w/ McClicky switch
    3) Surefire Elite head, MN02, fivemega E head E tail w/ KeepPower 3.7V IMR18350 1200mAh, Surefire z52 twisty switch
    4) Surefire Elite head, Tad Customs E socket & A3718, Vital Gear twisty w/ AW 3.7V IMR16340 550mAh
    5) Zebralight SC62c w/ AW 3.7V IMR18650 3000mAh
    6) Zebralight SC5c II w/ standard AA Eneloop LE Botanic 1900mAh
    7) Zebralight SC53c w/ standard AA Eneloop LE Botanic 1900mAh
    8) Maratac AAA Cool White 3rd Gen w/ standard AAA Eneloop 750mAh
    9) ThruNite TiS Vinh Cree XP-E R2 630nm Red w/ standard AAA Fujitsu 750 mAh
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-16-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Chillinn- That is an absolutely outstanding looking "M3" build.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Thank you, scout24! Not much to it, but it worked out well. I think the Seraph tail cap really brings it together. Still missing the stainless bezel replacement. And it is really only about a 24 minute light on high, at extreme best, usually keep it to 20 minutes. I need a Leef 2x 18650 M head C tail tube.

I don't think I've ever had a 4 cell SF M head build. I do have a pair of Fivemega 2x18650 bodies with C head/ C tail though. Maybe an adapter and an M3 head? Hmmm...

Today entailed a seven hour round trip drive to pick up some things that were near and dear to my Wife, so in addition to my "car light", (Streamlight Polytac X with a couple spare older 18650 cells and a 123 dummy cell to run it on single primaries if need be) I carried The Light That Gets You Home. My HDS Panda Rotary. Rock solid bomb proof, runs on anything that fits, and will work as a Clicky if for some reason the tail ceased to be able to function. This is a regular in my rotation, so no surprises today.

20200916_145503

Flashaholic*

Not really a rotation but I have ended up using those (the first one is the most used one, etc)

1. sf e1e with a mule head made by dafabricata and tanaís super LE with 6x optisolis: 3x 5000k and 3x 6500k - fantastic high noon tint with zero tint shift

2. ultrafire u-f10 zoomie with a single 6500k optisolis, driven by lexel 3amp driver with custom mode banks, bored for 18350

3. sf A2 with fivemega strion horwire bulb/adapter and multimode calipsoii ring with 2x yuji 3200K and 1x yuji 5600k

4. emisar d4 with nichia 219c

5. fivemega 3x 18350 host with his 11v axial bulb and aw softstart in sf tail

6. fivemega 2x 18350 host with 5D mag bulb and miser guts in sf tail

7. sf m6 with fivemega 7v/3a axial bulb in his m6 tower adapter and phd-6 regulated battery holder

Day three here. Triple Time... This is a special light to me, and it's coming into it's season as fall and longer nights approach. Single 18650 and no "flamethrower" levels programmed in the interest of runtime. A compact, long-running light that can run on pretty much anything that fits with appropriate programming. Great beam, awesome clip, and tailstands like a champ. A treat to use...

20200917_100808

Really want one of those heads. Glad their still available, but I just can't afford it.

Day 4 for me. This is a very, very special light. I purchased it second hand here on CPF. It is an HDS Rotary, Executive, Flush, NB4. Actually the emitter is one of Andy Zhu's special Nichia 219B, SW40, R9080. The beam is just awesome. Colors pop - it's soft and easy to look at. The tint has just a tiny bit of rosy color to it and I'm a big fan of that. YMMV. There's lint on the lens...I don't care - this is a user.

Greg carried his SS40 Panda yesterday - I'll carry mine tomorrow - and it's really close for me which tint I prefer, but if forced to pick I'd have to pick this one. It's a tie for my favorite alongside yesterday's SW35 Okluma.

I look for excuses to use this light. It, like all HDS lights, just exudes quality. The flexibility of the interface is awesome. And that beam....

Great thread Dan!! I will have to post up a 7 light pic, and carry the 7 lights in order.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Day 4! This light was a gift from Run4jc, the Sofirn C01s. I hadn't paid any attention to AAA lights since the E01 went away, and that was a mistake. It's a nice light that I'll order a few more of. Awesome runtime on low, stellar beam shape from the optic, high cri, good tint, and tailstands like a champ. All for less than $10.00. Durability will be an ongoing test, I'm not sacrificing one to destruction as I did the E01's back in the day. So, this should work well as a primary carry light today, 100lm on high and a nice low level to save battery. Thanks, Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Great thread Dan!! I will have to post up a 7 light pic, and carry the 7 lights in order.
    Awesome, Brandon! Looking forward to it. Meanwhile, it's day 5. I wrote an 'ode' to this light here. Another special light. This is the light known as the "Panda", in this case specifically a raised switch, naked stainless bezel and tail, rotary, with a Luminus SST20, aka SS40. It's one chunk of a light. As Scout24 mentioned, one that you can count on for sure. Always enjoy carrying this one when wearing jeans...with dress pants or even some shorts, it feels pretty heavy in the pocket. Weighs 4.2 ounces, or over a quarter of a pound, but that's okay. It reminds you that it's " The light that gets you home."

Last edited by run4jc; 09-18-2020 at 02:59 PM.

A real pocket tank!!! Love mine, have the exact same configuration, but you know that.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Well, itís day 6. Not a lot of participation in this activity, but thatís okay. It has been good for me because it has caused me to carry some real jewels that havenít been used enough lately. Todayís carry is just such a light - the gorgeous titanium Okluma DC0. I was fortunate to be allowed to participate in the initial drop of these lights back in May of last year. Jeff took to heart customer feedback and there were few things that I wanted to change. I did send it back to him in November for an upgrade to guppydrv and a softer tail switch. It made the light darn near perfect. I had carried the light for 30 days solid - nothing else - and rarely did it leave me wanting. Guppydrv answered my desire for different levels and even boosted the top output. Scout24 carried it for a while, too, and he loved it. With all the carry - in my pocket with keys and change - thereís nary a mark on the beautiful matte titanium finish.

The optic/lens turns the gorgeous Nichia 4000k beam into an almost floody beam, but still has enough throw. I am hopeful of picking up the new aluminum version with a reflector.

If you get a chance to pick one up new or used, go for it. Awesome light with the best customer service in the business.

Alrighty, Day 5 it is. Time for a 15 lumen flamethrower? Nah... Tana modded SF Elite head, three XPL-HI 5000k with the H17f driver. Just looks like a sleeper... 2 way clip for bezel-down carry, McClicky switch to handle the current possible with H17f. Small, light, and more than bright enough for today.

20200917_102410 by 20200917_102430 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/

GRAIL!
    [QUOTE=scout24;5414115]Alrighty, Day 5 it is. Time for a 15 lumen flamethrower? Nah... Tana modded SF Elite head, three XPL-HI 5000k with the H17f driver. Just looks like a sleeper... 2 way clip for bezel-down carry, McClicky switch to handle the current possible with H17f. Small, light, and more than bright enough for today.

20200917_102410 by 20200917_102430 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/QUOTE]

That DC0 is one lovely little light. Wish I had the scratch for it when those had come up for sale. I will have to put it on my mental list of things to try one of these days. Great lights guys! I think my previously shown HDS has been in my pocket the last few days for work so it hasnít been much of a ďrotationĒ haha.

I'm enjoying this thread, although my rotation is much simpler. I rely on two main lights.

The first is a HDS Rotary F89HG sporting a sw45k Nichia. Absolutely love this emitter. A creamy, 4500k, 95CRI beam that looks great in the AM, at noon, and in the middle of the night. One of my favorite features is the locator flash, which I toggle on and off: on at night to help me locate it on the nightstand, off during the day. My wife hates the flash, which she calls the "disco strobe," so I try to keep it bezel down. Otherwise, she tries to turn it off by furiously clicking a bazillion times. I told her that the deactivation sequence is encrypted... If we're being honest, I must admit that the F89HG is a hefty girl at 3.6 oz. So she often stays home. I know, I know. Sacrilege! However, this usually isn't a problem because...

I always carry my trusty PFlexPro Convoy S2+ in my EDC backpack. Love this light. Also a little hefty at 4.4 oz, but shorter than many 18650 lights. Favorite features are the 18650 mah, the reverse clicky, and the illuminated tail switch which makes it super easy to ID in the bag. The emitter is a XP-L HI 5200K. Looks fine in normal use, but its flaws jump off the white wall when I cross its beam with the F89HG. You're right, the light needs an emitter swap. I'm clinging to a shred of hope that Randy will return like Lazarus "from his large contract order" and permit me an emitter swap. Often use this light to navigate through and out of my office after the building lights auto turn off around 1930. Obviously the UI isn't as good as the rotary, but the h17f is fully programmable and provides immediate access to a special mode via a double click.

Last edited by lion504; 09-19-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    love your photos, thanks for sharing

Here is my AA option today:

Oooooo! Pretty trits!

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I'll see if I can pull together my basic set of regular user lights (if not exactly an EDC rotation) for a photo here soon ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Now THAT'S what I call a "rotation!"

Now THAT'S what I call a "rotation!"
    Thank you, it has taken me "a while" to get my lighting tools sorted out satisfactorily

I like them all. Takes hard work for the money. BK Aviator stands out, not easy to get. That Valiant Concepts head, tho, with that Aleph body and tail. Love it. Chin hanging. Drool dripping.

The A2 is HA not BK, although the photo filter makes it look so.

It does have a custom @calipsoii ring, however.

Iíll have to get a picture of my rotation.

McGizmo Haiku with XPG-2 4000K LE from DatiLED, one of my favorites.
    HDS 4000K XPL Rotary (love the tint and wide beam on this one).
    Recently acquired Okluma DC1 (Ti) with a 5000K LE with Dragon driver (not sure of the LEDís but a very nice tint).
    McGizmo 2x123 with Sundrop XRU.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Day 7. This little exercise has been fun. Someone mentioned doing a "what I don't carry" post, and I may do just that. Problem is, they are scattered all over the house and the pickup, 2 cars, and 1 motorcycle that my wife and I have. I digress.

For the last day, a TRUE classic - the McGizmo PD. This one is aluminum with a ti bezel ring. The trit in the tail is completely 'dead.' I would LOVE to know how many owners this light has had in its 14 (?) year existence.

For all the years, owners, hands and pockets, this old light looks pretty darn good. It came to me with a Seoul emitter. I loved the tint - that creamy white - but my good friend Scout24 suggested it might benefit from the expert hands of datiLED for some upgrades.

So off it went. I asked for a Nichia 219B SW40, but Derek suggested the Samsung LH351D in 4000k. His exact words, "I would like to point you to the 4000K Samsung LH351D. It has a CRI of 92+, and no odd tints. It is my favorite LED for mods at this time."

Having worked with him more times than I can remember, I trust Derek completely and agreed. And he bumped the current up to 750mA.

The result? A beautiful tint and beam/shape, with no tint shifting. I still think I prefer the Nichia SW40, but I have several of those and this Samsung is darn close and perhaps a bit more efficient. And the light functions perfectly - whether using the tail button or twisting. It sips batteries. It almost disappears in the pocket - so light weight. I measure just under 200 lumen on high in my home made sphere. By today's standards, that's not much. But for everyday use, it's PLENTY. Frankly, the low gives all I need for most things.

It's been through many owners, but it's going to stay with me for quite a while.

Classic McGizmo goodness right there, Dan! Day 6 here, and a light that doesn't get enough love here. 14500 isn't one of my faves, but I guess I now have three of those cells so I should carry it more. Micro Mag by KYFishguy. 5000k-ish XP-G3 Triple under a lightly diffused optic. Single 14500, 4 well spaced modes, and about as stealth as that Tana E1e earlier. Everyone knows the Mini-Mag, and has zero expectations when they see it. The workmanship on these is great, and if you haven't owned one I would highly suggest spending the time to track one down. There's a whole lot here for the money...

20200917_102658 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/

Days 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 get the pair of PVD coated lights while the uncoated polished alluminum body gets weekend duty.
    The PR-1 is a daily since June 2016, the PL-2's since August 2016.

Not shown is an Elzetta Bones with a speed clip, Elzetta wire lanyard ring and generic wrist strap.

When I work nights something throwey tags along like a zoomie or an E2 with a Tana module.

I tried a Klarus P1a for a while, an Elzetta Alpha, a Coast HP1 and a Pelican 2350 for a while. But when The PR-1 arrived that was it for them.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.
    John 3:16

.... I asked for a Nichia 219B SW40, but Derek suggested the Samsung LH351D in 4000k. His exact words, "I would like to point you to the 4000K Samsung LH351D. It has a CRI of 92+, and no odd tints. It is my favorite LED for mods at this time."
    I just received my first flashlight with the LH351D, a Frelux Synergy2, and wow was I impressed with this emitter too. Listed as a 5000K bin, mine looks far warmer than that to me, which is

Really nice quality of light. Not quite Optisolis level, but closer than I'd have guessed, and without all of the tradeoffs of the former.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    .... Micro Mag by KYFishguy....
    I thought about including mine in my photo above, but left it out since I rarely carry it. Too many lumens, lol ! But beautifully modded, as you rightly note.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast