The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

Default Re: 7 day rotation

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Your L1 post above inspired me to dig into one of my "Car Bags" to let this one see some daylight. 3/45lm E1L Outdoorsman. Some Nano oil on the o-rings, and into my pocket for the day. It's cool white with no blue, throwy with the SF optic, and has good runtime on both levels. The added two way clip is just icing on the cake for me, replacing the one way bezel up that came on it. I think I'll be just fine with this today...
    A classic, Greg! It's fun dusting off some of the older lights. This could go on for a while....

My choice today - a Zebralight SC32W. Bought this light new in March of 2015 and it has been primarily a "kitchen cabinet" light. It's seen some carry, as the scuffs on the ano show, but it has the toughness that all Zebralights I've owned have/had. I tortured a predecessor to this light (see that torture here). Sadly, I lost that light that this SC32w was a replacement for it.

Don't know why I don't carry this thing. Small and bright, great moonlight, decent tint, one of the best interfaces out there, and, at least in my case, I've never killed one. I have 5 total scattered around the house and one is a console light in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    I have 5 total scattered around the house and one is a console light in a car.
    A couple more, and you'll have enough for pawns for one side of the chess board. Fill out the back spaces with different Zebralight models, you've got half a chess game. Need to choose something other than Zebralight for the other side.

I have a SC32 I keep on my desk at work, great little light!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

image uploader

Today's carry, the Prometheus Ti Alpha with makers mark 4500K MCE. Look at that beefy Ti head. This light is a pleasure to carry, fully programmable Icarus driver made here in the USA. What's not to love?

Gorgeous light, Brandon!

Gorgeous light, Brandon!
    Thanks Dan, its a big EDC and its "only" 650 lumens. The quality is amazing and it has that satisfying heft and the machined Ti feels great in the hand. Great to have an Alpha back in the stable.

650 lumens, but I'll bet it doesn't step down hard, correct?
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

650 lumens, but I'll bet it doesn't step down hard, correct?
    Hasnt stepped down that I've seen, gets warm, not too hot!!

Awesome. 👍🏻

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different ligh

What kind of beam does it have? The LED seems identical to quad e21a

Default Re: 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different ligh

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    What kind of beam does it have? The LED seems identical to quad e21a
    I would call it a flood beam, but on high it gets out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post

Hasnt stepped down that I've seen
    thanks for posting a photo,
    nice looking light

the light does not have a sharp timed step down. On High mode it seems to drift down about 30% over the course of an hour (that is similar to going down one level on an HDS):
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac_79 View Post
    fwiw, slow gradual change in brightness is not easily noticed by our eyes, as they constantly adapt to brightness changes

Thanks for posting that!! Makes sense as I dont notice any drop.

Greatscoot- Are the big o-rings on your McG's for grip? Do they interfere with the pocketclip?
    I usually holster carry them and it makes it real easy to draw, especially the Haiku. It does cause some interference with pocket caryy but not much. Makes cigar carry really nice too. I think I had all the grooves o-ringed on the 2x123 at one time and just left the top one.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Good info. Thanks!

It's Day 11. A sign that you may have 'enough' (too many?) flashlights? When you have trouble choosing which unique light to carry on the 11th day.

LOL

Today it's an old classic - an HDS Tactical Rotary, raised button, XPG2. I reviewed this light for TheFireArmBlog.com back in September of 2014. Abused it just a bit. Not like some of Hogo's famous gun blast abuse, but stuff that might happen in the course of every day carry. Made a few nicks on the ano, but the light never missed a beat and it's quite useful. The beam is white, not cool, and has a nice spot with transition to spill.

I don't need the strobe, but the interface is so easy that it's easy to bypass the strobe from lower levels just by press/hold to high rather than rotate.

Love it. Day 11 will be enjoyable.

Nice Dan!!

I had a tactical rotary, the UI was cool but not for me.

The quality is amazing and it has that satisfying heft and the machined Ti feels great in the hand. Great to have an Alpha back in the stable.
    Very nice light. Glad she ended up in a good home. Congrats.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Day 12. Starting to feel like a journal...

I'm sad that Venom Defense and Design stopped making flashlights. And I'm sad that I sold my titanium version of this light. It has the proven Nichia 219C 4000k H17F setup. Great tint and beam. Weighs only 3.6 ounces / 100 grams with an 18350 cell inside. Has a wonderful original clip, and the threads from head to body are smooth and solid. I carried it a lot in the past, and I should carry it more now!

Day 12 - aluminum Venom Defense and Design Orion

What a simple EDC Dan! The H17F keeps it fun.

I fee like I have been slacking here after catching up on the thread! My SS tailed Rotary has gotten the majority of daily carry since mid May when it arrived. I should be changing things up a lot more like you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I fee like I have been slacking here after catching up on the thread! My SS tailed Rotary has gotten the majority of daily carry since mid May when it arrived. I should be changing things up a lot more like you guys!
    Hey Nick - I totally get that! My panda inspired an "Ode", if you will. I miss carrying it and my new XPL HI 4200k HIVE Haiku. But this has been a good exercise and has revealed just how many lights - good lights - that I have sitting around unused! So I need to either find new homes for them or USE THEM.

(But man - ain't that panda nice.... )

Day 13. I've decided that tomorrow is my last day. Maybe some of you will keep it going. Overall, this thread has not exactly captivated anyone....LOL

Keeping it simple this Saturday. I've never carried this light, but had it a while. A simple Lumintop Tool AA with a Nichia 219C. Decent little light for the money.

Overall, this thread has not exactly captivated anyone.
    I've thoroughly enjoyed following this thread, which grew to 4 pages in less than two weeks. Not bad.

But it was like watching the Boston Marathon or base jumping. Watching people do something you know you could never do yourself. Fear, amazement, wonder?

I prefer the 'safety' of a daily routine with the same light(s), stuck somewhere between decidophobia and flashlight monogamy.
    Last edited by lion504; 09-26-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    I've thoroughly enjoyed following this thread, which grew to 4 pages in less than two weeks. Not bad.

But it was like watching the Boston Marathon or base jumping. Watching people do something you know you could never do yourself. Fear, amazement, wonder?

I prefer the 'safety' of a daily routine with the same light(s), stuck somewhere between decidophobia and flashlight monogamy.
    I like this - good post. And I appreciate it.

It's actually been a bit challenging for me. Having said that, my lights are primarily used to help me with small print or anything else that challenges my vision. Still, I was never far from another light should I have needed it. And today I'm home enjoying a quiet Saturday.

Had I kept this experiment going, there were 4 Surefires, another Tana Haiku, and maybe another Tool AA. I'll use the other Tana Haiku to cap off the 2 week experiment tomorrow.

Then, like you, I'll stick with one of 2 lights...HDS Panda and XPL 4200k Haiku.

Other than the two EDC options I posted about earlier, my O/H lights are special purpose like the BLF LT1 or my Franken 69P with the LLLL drop in. Special purpose generally means "not great in the pocket."

EDIT: My HDS 3700K XP-G HiCRI Clicky is at Henry's for a spa day.1 She left right before you started this thread. Will add her into the mix upon return.

1Expressed in Henry/HDS time, not Hogo/Gregorian.
    Last edited by lion504; 09-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.

I'll admit to life being a bit chaotic these last few days, but I've enjoyed seeing what others have been carrying. I fell back into the pattern of grabbing my Panda and heading out the door, on with my day. Today, I broke out a ten year old light I almost sold back in 2012. Ahead of it's time, a frosted MC-E emitter with what would still be considered a killer UI. Small, classic lines and details, pushing 500+ lumens on a single RCR but runs happily at reduced output on a primary cell. I would carry this more but it's pretty much irreplaceable. Milky's Arnor build. KL4 head on a Gen6 Surefire L1 body. 80 taps gives you 4 levels with memory on a Clicky body, leaving it alone gets you low and high like a regular L1. 4 taps gets you about 50% output with a bunch more runtime.

Nice light Scout!!! Regret selling all my milky stuff. He still has a L1 of mine LOL.

Lion what ya getting done to the HDS?

Nice light Scout!!! Regret selling all my milky stuff.
    That makes 2 of us. Creemator, Arnor, Moul, a couple of Milky L1s...oh, how I wish I had them back.

Default 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different ...

Mercy me, yes, all the things I’ve sold over the years! Can’t afford to keep everything so many have come and gone as preferences shift and refine but there’s a few things I do still miss. I had one Milky L4 long ago as well. I wish I had kept better records of all the stuff I had. It is a struggle to bring to mind all the neat things I sold. I could track the sales here but the CPFMP is defunct. Cool McGs, Muyshondts, OR builds, Surefires, Macs, a SPY007, Ti Clicky, Malkoffs, Arcs, Prometheus, a bucket of HDS, mess of Fenixes early on. I feel like I’ve tried almost everything. If it’s on my shelf still it’s gotta be good because it has survived a fairly rigorous standard that many amazing lights have not made it through. Haha

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast