The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

Default 7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

Happy Monday, all!

This isn't intended to be a "hey, look at what I have" post. Like many of you, I'm blessed with a collection of lights that includes many that are not carried. But as I was looking through my favorites, I lined up a "7 Day Carry" rotation. Here they are - from Right to Left:
    Haiku XPL 4200k HIVE; Tana Triple Haiku 219B SW45 R9080 H17F; Okluma DC1 AL 219B SW35 R9080 H17F; HDS Executive Rotary with NB4 (219B SW4000); HDS "Panda" - Rotary with SS40 (Luminus SST40) and stainless head and tail; Okluma Ti DC0 from the first run, 219C 4000k, upgraded to guppydrv by Jeff; McGizmo Al PD upgraded to a 4000k Samsung LH351 and current bump to 750mA (Done by datiLED).

And that's the order I'm going to carry them this week. First Haiku is in my pocket today. But I'll get 'em all in the rotation.

What's your 7 day rotation? Let's see those photos and descriptions! And have a blessed week!

Last edited by run4jc; 09-22-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Default Re: 7 day rotation

Mine`s more of a 2 week rotation, these are my reading lights that I use every night before I go to sleep, they`re all Incans.

My rotation is the same two lights day after day with whatever lighting tool will serve as a suppliment as the situation requires.
    Last evening for example, was the second night in a known situation so no suppliment was required as my edc lights filled the need. Tonight I go to an unknown situation so I will suppliment my dailys with a cool white thrower, a zoomie and a warm thrower to cut through whatever tint the light pollution with a contrasting color of light.
    John 3:16

The only lights I carry are two keychain lights with my car keys - I1R 2 Olight and Nitecore Tube V2. I don't get the mindset of rotating EDC gear daily, seems like an internet forum thing, sorry. Not to say I don't own a few flashlights but they are mostly stashed in packs and glove boxes or consoles of my vehicles as well as at home for ready access.
    Last edited by CSG; 09-14-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    The only lights I carry are two keychain lights with my car keys - I1R 2 Olight and Nitecore Tube V2. I don't get the mindset of rotating EDC gear daily, seems like an internet forum thing, sorry. Not to say I don't own a few flashlights but they are mostly stashed in packs and glove boxes or consoles of my vehicles as well as at home for ready access.
    Yeah, it is sort of an 'internet thing', but it can be fun. Truth be told the panda rotary and the XPL Haiku get the bulk of my carry time. Just enjoy shaking things up every now and again.

I'll make a list of seven later, but I'm going to do it as a challenge. Mix it up. Incan, LED, single emitter, triple, one cell, multi cell, different UI's. Maybe blow the dust off a few shelf sitters and get out of my edc comfort zone. Good thread, Dan!
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

just for the record, these are the only lights I actually use in rotation, I have about 60 others that get used at different times and for different things, these aren`t EDC lights, just my reading lights for night time.

CSG- Rotating and discussing breeds, well, discussion. Which brings different ideas and perhaps something you touch on I can learn from. Or if I choose not to participate I can ask questions or find other threads that interest me. And this IS an internet forum you're in...

(Best Rod Serling voice...) Imagine if you will...
    Last edited by scout24; 09-14-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Yeah, it is sort of an 'internet thing', but it can be fun. Truth be told the panda rotary and the XPL Haiku get the bulk of my carry time. Just enjoy shaking things up every now and again.
    Right. If we just bought one flashlight and used it for everything we would be just like everyone else in the world and we wouldnít be here on an enthusiast forum, haha. Variety is our jam! I donít rotate automatically based on set days or anything, but moreso based on what I will be doing. I will snap a pic of my most common primary carry lights in a bit. There are others that are more specialized or for house use or just as a backup pocket light. But Iíll set out the normal frequent carriers.

Remember, I was talking about EDC rotation, not having only one or two flashlights. Still, I probably have less than 30 between home and vehicles. As to EDC rotation, having a law enforcement background, we tend to stick with what we know and train with. Rotation isn't in the cards for most of us.

I havenít carried an incandescent in many moons. Might give it a shot tomorrow after seeing Katherine photos.Not for 7 days but Iíll give it a go😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Hi run4jc, Thanks for the topic and your pic! After 40 lights, I have not yet gotten into that classification of lights, yet. I clicked the link in your signature to see your light list, and I see you have lots of "Lumintop, Acebeam, Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens....let's just say a bunch of them". That is what class of lights I am still solidly in, but I like seeing pics of your class of lights, and I like reading about how much people love them. This topic and its pic reminds me that I need to jump into the Malkoff-HDS class of lights, but a large size, multiple 90.2 has tripped my trigger.

I rotate edc every few days, but seven-day rotation seems like a nice idea. Thanks again for the nice topic and mouth-watering pics!

My lights.
    It could be worse. Common dangerous pet animals donít have antlers.

seven of the lights I used in the last 7 days:

Last edited by jon_slider; 09-14-2020 at 05:49 PM.

I see some similarities here, Dan. Haha. Not all of my carry lights, since I try to give all my lights some love from time to time, and you can see the rest them in my sigline, but these are probably my five most carried/hard used flashlights.

Silvertail Rotary NLT325, Haiku w/DatiLED Nichia 219, Okluma TinyDC Al w/Nichia 219 triple, Oveready Triple E/Scout Nichia 219B 4000k/red, SF Titan Plus lug delete mod

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    Remember, I was talking about EDC rotation, not having only one or two flashlights. Still, I probably have less than 30 between home and vehicles. As to EDC rotation, having a law enforcement background, we tend to stick with what we know and train with. Rotation isn't in the cards for most of us.
    CSG - thank you for your service. I respect what you are saying as it relates to your needs. We have all kinds in this forum and I fall into the category of ďenthusiastĒ - activities such as this are fun for me. Having said that, Iím 62 and my eyesight isnít great so I ALWAYS have a light of some form to help me with small print and vision into darker spots. But I get what you say - you need reliable gear and thatís understandable. I will say that I would trust any of the 7 lights Iím rotating to a) always work; and b) be plenty bright enough.

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    Hi run4jc, Thanks for the topic and your pic! After 40 lights, I have not yet gotten into that classification of lights, yet. I clicked the link in your signature to see your light list, and I see you have lots of "Lumintop, Acebeam, Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens....let's just say a bunch of them". That is what class of lights I am still solidly in, but I like seeing pics of your class of lights, and I like reading about how much people love them. This topic and its pic reminds me that I need to jump into the Malkoff-HDS class of lights, but a large size, multiple 90.2 has tripped my trigger.

I rotate edc every few days, but seven-day rotation seems like a nice idea. Thanks again for the nice topic and mouth-watering pics!

My lights.
    @richbuff - thanks for the nice post! Iím sure that your collection is awesome. After 12 years of obsession with this hobby, Iíve finally figured out what makes ME happy. I donít really care about lumen ratings, etc...rather, being American, American makers, rock solid reliability, and high CRI beams. All these lights check those boxes. But Olight, Fenix, 4/7, Lumintop, Acebeam, and many other, make solid lights that allow the enthusiast to buy a solid product at a friendly price. Nothing wrong with those! Enjoy those nice lights!

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    seven of the lights I used in the last 7 days:

. Solid choices - beautiful emitters.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I see some similarities here, Dan. Haha. Not all of my carry lights, since I try to give all my lights some love from time to time, and you can see the rest them in my sigline, but these are probably my five most carried/hard used flashlights.

Silvertail Rotary NLT325, Haiku w/DatiLED Nichia 219, Okluma TinyDC Al w/Nichia 219 triple, Oveready Triple E/Scout Nichia 219B 4000k/red, SF Titan Plus lug delete mod

Awesome lineup, Nick!

Today the Haiku reminded me why it remains one of my all-time favorites, and definitely one of the finest torches/flashlights ever made. I bought my first Haiku back in 2009 - shortly after that I wrote a long review, inspired by JSí review of the LS20. That review is here. 11 year later the Haiku remains timeless and relevant. Don Mcleish is in the ďhall of fameĒ of custom light makers.

This newer version with the HIVE converter and XPL4200 isnít the most advanced or brightest, but it is a light that I could be happy with from now on. Only 3.4 ounces with battery, one of the best clips ever made, decent programming options, beautiful lines, the ubiquitous but utterly reliable clicky switch, and rock solid reliability. And the beam is gorgeous.

The Haiku and Don McLeish set the bar for custom lights. I donít know how many Iíve owned and sold and I wish I had them all back now.

Long live the Haiku! And thank you Don for your contributions to this community. Quite telling that 3 of the 7 in this rotation are of McGizmo origin.
    Last edited by run4jc; 09-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Enjoying this thread, thanks @run4jc !

I'm not one to rotate gear on a set schedule either, but I switch lights up all the time based on situation, and am constantly evaluating alternatives.

My goal is to find the best items to meet my specific wants and needs. Probably less than one in twenty "new" items tried ever makes the cut, which is why most of my gear is the old tried and true. But the ongoing search is fun
    ... is the archimedes peak

What I would like to know is where the stuff that doesnít make the cut goes... I never see a sales thread.... boy would I love to rummage around in THAT closet!

What I would like to know is where the stuff that doesnít make the cut goes... I never see a sales thread.... boy would I love to rummage around in THAT closet!
    Bahaha !

Local friends and family get a lot

Some people you'd never think to be into lighting gear are now like "how many lumens on this one ? what's the kcd ? this is high CRI, right ? you know cool tint hurts my eyes" ( lol ! )

And then, of course, there is still the "museum" ...

Good to be bar buddies with Archimedes!

I know you are quite generous, so Iím sure your friends have received some nifty goodies.

And +100 to all Haiku praise!

I'll see if I can pull together my basic set of regular user lights (if not exactly an EDC rotation) for a photo here soon ....

Starting my "7 days" with an old favorite. E2e Outdoorsman body, Clicky tailcap, LF HO-E1R and a 16650. Light, slim in pocket, bright, and has enough runtime for most tasks. I used to have a 2-flats Outdoorsman body and it is missed. But this does nicely.

20200915_081908
    Last edited by scout24; 09-15-2020 at 06:36 AM.

This is fun. Gorgeous light, Greg - and still a useful tool.

Today is day 2 for me. Today it's the Tana Triple Haiku. I actually have two of these and they are identical in every way, right down to the clip, except one is 4500k and the other 4000k. Bought the 4000k first and loved it. 4000k and warmer are typically my favorites. Like many flashaholics, "two is one and one is none", so when I picked up another Haiku host it was off to Bosnia-Herzegovina for another transformation by Tarik. Both are D220 219B, H17F + FET drivers, and sporting Ti2 Designs clips.

I actually prefer the 4500k (this one.) The driver is set with 2 banks of programming - 1 is moonlight, low and full blast, and the other is medium/full blast.

Beautiful, strong beams with tons of programming options all in the timeless Haiku host.

Eye candy (forgive the dust - this is a user - not a shelf queen. And the label is starting to peel, but I have a spare label if that ever becomes a bother to me. LOL)

Love what Tana does, but nothing is tackier than that tape on a McGizmo Haiku head. Everyone leaves it there. Were it mine, I'd find someone to engrave that info, which I suppose is not easy to do on a curved Ti surface.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    Love what Tana does, but nothing is tackier than that tape on a McGizmo Haiku head. Everyone leaves it there. Were it mine, I'd find someone to engrave that info, which I suppose is not easy to do on a curved Ti surface.
    I understand your point, but tape is easy to remove and/or replace. Personally, I would not want a bunch of info permanently engraved onto my light.

Most of my lights are labeled, but I change dropins and light engines pretty frequently

Well, the idea would be to compress that mouthful of info with clever abbreviation, something that would look better engraved, "Tana 3x219b 4.5kK 3A," leave the rest off maybe. Honestly, I was exaggerating. I'd just pull the tape and keep the info written down somewhere else, use a different clip than all my other Haiku (so many now I have lost count! In my dreams!), and that would make it easy to instantly distinguish it.

And btw, no offense intended for Tana, run4jc, and pretty much every other owner of a Tana. And I do not mean to imply I have taste. I just prefer to wear my tape on my face.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Itís kinda a throwback to Milky, I suppose. People left his tape on too.

Itís kinda a throwback to Milky, I suppose. People left his tape on too.
    Right. Tana refers to it as ďthe artistís signature.Ē I suppose Iím weird - I like having it on there. And it doesnít look as tacky in person as it does in the photos.

Itís still less print than has been lasered into some lights Iíve gotten from across the pond. Lol

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast