7 day rotation - updated - how many days in a row can you carry a different light?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Monday, all!

This isn't intended to be a "hey, look at what I have" post. Like many of you, I'm blessed with a collection of lights that includes many that are not carried. But as I was looking through my favorites, I lined up a "7 Day Carry" rotation. Here they are - from Right to Left:
Haiku XPL 4200k HIVE; Tana Triple Haiku 219B SW45 R9080 H17F; Okluma DC1 AL 219B SW35 R9080 H17F; HDS Executive Rotary with NB4 (219B SW4000); HDS "Panda" - Rotary with SS40 (Luminus SST40) and stainless head and tail; Okluma Ti DC0 from the first run, 219C 4000k, upgraded to guppydrv by Jeff; McGizmo Al PD upgraded to a 4000k Samsung LH351 and current bump to 750mA (Done by datiLED).

And that's the order I'm going to carry them this week. First Haiku is in my pocket today. But I'll get 'em all in the rotation.

What's your 7 day rotation? Let's see those photos and descriptions! And have a blessed week!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: 7 day rotation

My rotation is the same two lights day after day with whatever lighting tool will serve as a suppliment as the situation requires.
Last evening for example, was the second night in a known situation so no suppliment was required as my edc lights filled the need. Tonight I go to an unknown situation so I will suppliment my dailys with a cool white thrower, a zoomie and a warm thrower to cut through whatever tint the light pollution with a contrasting color of light.

CSG

Newly Enlightened

The only lights I carry are two keychain lights with my car keys - I1R 2 Olight and Nitecore Tube V2. I don't get the mindset of rotating EDC gear daily, seems like an internet forum thing, sorry. Not to say I don't own a few flashlights but they are mostly stashed in packs and glove boxes or consoles of my vehicles as well as at home for ready access.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only lights I carry are two keychain lights with my car keys - I1R 2 Olight and Nitecore Tube V2. I don't get the mindset of rotating EDC gear daily, seems like an internet forum thing, sorry. Not to say I don't own a few flashlights but they are mostly stashed in packs and glove boxes or consoles of my vehicles as well as at home for ready access.

Yeah, it is sort of an 'internet thing', but it can be fun. Truth be told the panda rotary and the XPL Haiku get the bulk of my carry time. Just enjoy shaking things up every now and again.

scout24

Flashaholic

I'll make a list of seven later, but I'm going to do it as a challenge. Mix it up. Incan, LED, single emitter, triple, one cell, multi cell, different UI's. Maybe blow the dust off a few shelf sitters and get out of my edc comfort zone. Good thread, Dan! :grin2:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

just for the record, these are the only lights I actually use in rotation, I have about 60 others that get used at different times and for different things, these aren`t EDC lights, just my reading lights for night time.

scout24

Flashaholic

CSG- Rotating and discussing breeds, well, discussion. Which brings different ideas and perhaps something you touch on I can learn from. Or if I choose not to participate I can ask questions or find other threads that interest me. :) And this IS an internet forum you're in...

(Best Rod Serling voice...) Imagine if you will...

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

Yeah, it is sort of an 'internet thing', but it can be fun. Truth be told the panda rotary and the XPL Haiku get the bulk of my carry time. Just enjoy shaking things up every now and again.

Right. If we just bought one flashlight and used it for everything we would be just like everyone else in the world and we wouldn't be here on an enthusiast forum, haha. Variety is our jam! I don't rotate automatically based on set days or anything, but moreso based on what I will be doing. I will snap a pic of my most common primary carry lights in a bit. There are others that are more specialized or for house use or just as a backup pocket light. But I'll set out the normal frequent carriers.

CSG

Newly Enlightened

Remember, I was talking about EDC rotation, not having only one or two flashlights. Still, I probably have less than 30 between home and vehicles. As to EDC rotation, having a law enforcement background, we tend to stick with what we know and train with. Rotation isn't in the cards for most of us.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I haven't carried an incandescent in many moons. Might give it a shot tomorrow after seeing Katherine photos.Not for 7 days but I'll give it a go😁

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi run4jc, Thanks for the topic and your pic! After 40 lights, I have not yet gotten into that classification of lights, yet. I clicked the link in your signature to see your light list, and I see you have lots of "Lumintop, Acebeam, Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens....let's just say a bunch of them". That is what class of lights I am still solidly in, but I like seeing pics of your class of lights, and I like reading about how much people love them. This topic and its pic reminds me that I need to jump into the Malkoff-HDS class of lights, but a large size, multiple 90.2 has tripped my trigger.

I rotate edc every few days, but seven-day rotation seems like a nice idea. Thanks again for the nice topic and mouth-watering pics!

My lights.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

seven of the lights I used in the last 7 days:

M2GZxK1l.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

I see some similarities here, Dan. Haha. Not all of my carry lights, since I try to give all my lights some love from time to time, and you can see the rest them in my sigline, but these are probably my five most carried/hard used flashlights.

Silvertail Rotary NLT325, Haiku w/DatiLED Nichia 219, Okluma TinyDC Al w/Nichia 219 triple, Oveready Triple E/Scout Nichia 219B 4000k/red, SF Titan Plus lug delete mod

uYp3pgt.jpg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remember, I was talking about EDC rotation, not having only one or two flashlights. Still, I probably have less than 30 between home and vehicles. As to EDC rotation, having a law enforcement background, we tend to stick with what we know and train with. Rotation isn't in the cards for most of us.

CSG - thank you for your service. I respect what you are saying as it relates to your needs. We have all kinds in this forum and I fall into the category of "enthusiast" - activities such as this are fun for me. Having said that, I'm 62 and my eyesight isn't great so I ALWAYS have a light of some form to help me with small print and vision into darker spots. But I get what you say - you need reliable gear and that's understandable. I will say that I would trust any of the 7 lights I'm rotating to a) always work; and b) be plenty bright enough.

Hi run4jc, Thanks for the topic and your pic! After 40 lights, I have not yet gotten into that classification of lights, yet. I clicked the link in your signature to see your light list, and I see you have lots of "Lumintop, Acebeam, Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens....let's just say a bunch of them". That is what class of lights I am still solidly in, but I like seeing pics of your class of lights, and I like reading about how much people love them. This topic and its pic reminds me that I need to jump into the Malkoff-HDS class of lights, but a large size, multiple 90.2 has tripped my trigger.

I rotate edc every few days, but seven-day rotation seems like a nice idea. Thanks again for the nice topic and mouth-watering pics!

My lights.

@richbuff - thanks for the nice post! I'm sure that your collection is awesome. After 12 years of obsession with this hobby, I've finally figured out what makes ME happy. I don't really care about lumen ratings, etc...rather, being American, American makers, rock solid reliability, and high CRI beams. All these lights check those boxes. But Olight, Fenix, 4/7, Lumintop, Acebeam, and many other, make solid lights that allow the enthusiast to buy a solid product at a friendly price. Nothing wrong with those! Enjoy those nice lights!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

seven of the lights I used in the last 7 days:

M2GZxK1l.jpg
. Solid choices - beautiful emitters.

I see some similarities here, Dan. Haha. Not all of my carry lights, since I try to give all my lights some love from time to time, and you can see the rest them in my sigline, but these are probably my five most carried/hard used flashlights.

Silvertail Rotary NLT325, Haiku w/DatiLED Nichia 219, Okluma TinyDC Al w/Nichia 219 triple, Oveready Triple E/Scout Nichia 219B 4000k/red, SF Titan Plus lug delete mod

uYp3pgt.jpg

Awesome lineup, Nick!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Today the Haiku reminded me why it remains one of my all-time favorites, and definitely one of the finest torches/flashlights ever made. I bought my first Haiku back in 2009 - shortly after that I wrote a long review, inspired by JS' review of the LS20. That review is here. 11 year later the Haiku remains timeless and relevant. Don Mcleish is in the "hall of fame" of custom light makers.

This newer version with the HIVE converter and XPL4200 isn't the most advanced or brightest, but it is a light that I could be happy with from now on. Only 3.4 ounces with battery, one of the best clips ever made, decent programming options, beautiful lines, the ubiquitous but utterly reliable clicky switch, and rock solid reliability. And the beam is gorgeous.

The Haiku and Don McLeish set the bar for custom lights. I don't know how many I've owned and sold and I wish I had them all back now.

Long live the Haiku! And thank you Don for your contributions to this community. Quite telling that 3 of the 7 in this rotation are of McGizmo origin.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Enjoying this thread, thanks @run4jc !

I'm not one to rotate gear on a set schedule either, but I switch lights up all the time based on situation, and am constantly evaluating alternatives.

My goal is to find the best items to meet my specific wants and needs. Probably less than one in twenty "new" items tried ever makes the cut, which is why most of my gear is the old tried and true. But the ongoing search is fun :shrug:

nbp

Flashaholic

What I would like to know is where the stuff that doesn't make the cut goes... I never see a sales thread.... boy would I love to rummage around in THAT closet! [emoji2]

archimedes

Flashaholic

What I would like to know is where the stuff that doesn't make the cut goes... I never see a sales thread.... boy would I love to rummage around in THAT closet! [emoji2]

Bahaha !

Local friends and family get a lot :D

Some people you'd never think to be into lighting gear are now like "how many lumens on this one ? what's the kcd ? this is high CRI, right ? you know cool tint hurts my eyes" ( lol ! )

And then, of course, there is still the "museum" ... :crackup: