Dusted off the Maglite 2D

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and determined to go on a rural road walk with a fresh set of batteries giving me the full blazing 27 lumens of the ultimate 100 CRI and functional simplicity.

As I headed out from under the glow of the town streetlights, I became more enveloped in thick darkness as there was no moon and the sky nor stars as they were blocked out by high elevation smoke.

I activated my 2D with the thoughts akin to proton energy beams emanating from the front, but the resultant glow was much less spectacular. I adjusted the beam so that the hotspot was about 3 feet in diameter of soft glow. I became aware that there was a lot of things I couldn't see, but the back road was well enough illuminated.

"What is that" I actually said it out loud. I could hear something moving over in the wheat field off to the right. It could be anything, fox, coyote, rabbit...nope skunk! Double time walking...I moved the beam more frequently to capture more of a complete picture of my surroundings.

As nice as it was to bathe the country side in incandescent glow and despite the crystal clear glass, the perfect reflector and fresh cells, my 2D was outmatched by the wide expanse on a very dark night.

When I got home I was notified of a missing cat. I brought out the 2D to look in and around the yard closed in by fences and decks and other objects closer in range and familiar. The 2D did not disappoint one bit. It was great! I now know more distinctly its forte and will be brought out more now that the sun light wanes.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
A simple mod of 2D: get two 3AA serial battery holder, 6 Eneloops and a 6-cell bulb.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool suggestions and tempting....but I really have no intentions of modifying my classic 2D as it was my first quality light I have owned. I have plenty of other lights. My post about my walk in the rural expanse was to see and be reminded of its performance and limitations of the time. It amazes me how simple the light is and how much things have changed as technology moves forward. I did the same walk last night with my Thrunite Archer to see the difference and enjoy each lights contributions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Something about a 2D Maglite and cool crisp evenings to bring back fond memories.

If you haven't already, a glass lens and xenon bulb can squeeze a few more photons out front but the thing that surprised me was how cleaning contact points also allowed a krypton bulb to burn brighter.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Another simple mod of 2D: Get pair of 26650 batteries, modifying tail spring and 6 cell bulb.
Pair of 21700 (21750) will work too.

What's involved in cutting the tailspring? Make it shorter by how much? Cut the narrow or wide end (I guess narrow so it still "sticks" in the tail). Heavy cutters or do you need to grind it with a Dremel?