How to tell the specs on an HDS light

hatman

Enlightened
Can you use the light's serial number to get the output in lumens and the emitter and tint types?
If not, how?

nbp

Flashaholic
The colored paint circles on the head spring contact pad will tell you the lumens. There is a chart floating around here from Hogo. The emitter is harder to identify, especially since there were some emitters with a few different bins released. A very good picture of it posted should get you close - some of the members are pretty good at identifying LEDs.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since numbered bezels can be and often are swapped or replaced, those may not remain with the original light.

I think there is a way to get the emitter to blink out the firmware revision, but doubt that may be specific enough to narrow it to the exact emitter version.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since numbered bezels can be and often are swapped or replaced, those may not remain with the original light.

I think there is a way to get the emitter to blink out the firmware revision, but doubt that may be specific enough to narrow it to the exact emitter version.

If you go to the bottom of the FAQ. https://www.hdssystems.com/Content/LightFaq/
and look at. What version of software is in my flashlight? That will tell the software version, but nothing else.
The only reason there is a serial number on the bezel is for when a light comes in for repair so we can keep track of it and send it back to the correct person.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
output in lumens and the emitter and tint
short answer:

colored ring on the positive battery contact in the head tells lumens
the LED and labeled mcpcb tell Color Temperature and LED type

---
long version

the packaging lists the LED type, Color Temperature, and lumens. HDS does not list Tint nor Throw info.
xWT5fRU.jpg

the colored ring tells you lumens,
"The calibrated light output can be determined by the colored ring (or lack of one) on the positive contact. 100 lumens is yellow, 120 lumens is either green or no ring with "everyday carry" on the bezel, 140 lumens is either blue, white (GT) or no ring, 170 lumens is purple, 200 lumens is red, 250 lumens is orange and 325 lumens is yellow. "

knowing the lumens narrows down the possible LEDs

plus the nickname HDS uses for the LED is noted on the mcpcb

for example, this is an xp-g2 (which means it is a 250 lumen calibrated output of Low CRI)
KcvKnjb.jpg

other examples of HDS LED codes:
NB4 = Nichia 219b 4000k. These are always 200 luments, Hight CRI
SST40 = SST-20 4000k. These are always 225 Lumens, High CRI
NBOR= Nichia 219b Oveready 170 lumens
f4Q8xFRl.png

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
From a group buy in February, 2015 -- I bought a Rotary 4K with XP-L emitter.
Is that emitter the same as this from the HDS website current listings?
SS40 High CRI 4000°K 225 lumens (LIMITED)

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a group buy in February, 2015 -- I bought a Rotary 4K with XP-L emitter.
Is that emitter the same as this from the HDS website current listings?
SS40 High CRI 4000°K 225 lumens (LIMITED)

The Groupbuy you are refering to is this here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ond-and-Final-4000k-Group-Buy-interest-thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?398304-HDS-4000k-XP-L-Neutral-thread

The LED is a Cree XP-L with 4000K (non Hi CRI) but 325 lumens. This LED was only available on this two group buys.

The LED you are mentioning is a Luminus LED, HiCRI, 225 lumens.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
Thanks, folks. This was very helpful.

I have another HDS that I believe I got directly from Henry.
How can I identify the tint and amount of lumens.
Not sure where to start.
Thanks.

Lithium466

Enlightened
You can start by posting a picture of the led, and telling us the colour of the purple ring or paint dot :)