Klarus        

Thread: 7x6 H6054 Conversion Housings

Default 7x6 H6054 Conversion Housings

Is this the best option for a 7x6 conversion housing?
    http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...sion-headlamp/

Default Re: 7x6 H6054 Conversion Housings

Be careful to know exactly what you're getting, because Hella makes the best option easily available in this size, but they also make some poor ones in this size. The one to get is this one, very specifically. That is the SAE version, and it is much more efficient and focused better than the UN ("ECE", "European", "E-code") version. The linked SAE lamp is also the only one in this size that is legitimately called "Vision Plus" by Hella. That name does not apply to the European versions.

You will want to upgrade the bulbs and maybe keep the ones that come with the lamps as emergency spares, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    Be careful to know exactly what you're getting, because Hella makes the best option easily available in this size, but they also make some poor ones in this size. The one to get is this one, very specifically. That is the SAE version, and it is much more efficient and focused better than the UN ("ECE", "European", "E-code") version. The linked SAE lamp is also the only one in this size that is legitimately called "Vision Plus" by Hella. That name does not apply to the European versions.

You will want to upgrade the bulbs and maybe keep the ones that come with the lamps as emergency spares, if that.
    Thanks I figured the bulbs are the cheapest version they could throw in the box. I already have some Phillips +130 X-tremeVision bulbs on hand.

Flashaholic*

Virgil, are those Vision Plus lights you recommend above much different from the large rectangular Hellas I bought maybe 10-15 years ago and put in my 1986 F250 a couple or three years back?

I recall you correctly advised me they had an unusually large elevation change between high and low beam. With the truck’s lights being around 42” above the ground, and adjusted for a useful high beam, my low beam is pretty low. But it remains tolerable for oncoming traffic when I have a ton or so in the bed. I am currently running those Hellas with a relay harness and Philips Xtreme Vision H4 bulbs. For general use around the upper Skagit Valley, they seem to do pretty well. I’ll eventually add some driving lights when I get around to it.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Virgil, are those Vision Plus lights you recommend above much different from the large rectangular Hellas I bought maybe 10-15 years ago
    There's no way for me to know what you bought 10-15 years ago. Both the SAE ("Vision Plus") and the ECE versions were available back then.

I recall you correctly advised me they had an unusually large elevation change between high and low beam.
    That's the ECE lamp that has that, so then no, not the same as the recommended SAE Vision Plus units.

Flashaholic*

Thanks. Yes, definitely a European Code low beam with horizontal cutoff to center then 15 degree right hand rise. I will keep these newer ones in my “wish list,” in case I need another set of large rectangular lights. That truck is not worth big budget lights, but seeing and being seen is important. 👍
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Thanks. Yes, definitely a European Code low beam with horizontal cutoff to center then 15 degree right hand rise.
    Many US (SAE/DOT) low beams look like that, too.