• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Bad experience with Battery Junction

Not the Brightest

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased 3x Nitecore NL1834 18650 batteries and 3x UltraFire 18650 battery cases (plus a Nitecore headlamp + charger). These were the top rated items in each category on Battery Junction's website; they were not obscure brands buried somewhere on Page 67 of the search results. Despite that fact, the UltraFire cases were too small for the Nitecore batteries, and in fact they damaged the battery's insulation when I tried to make them fit. Though there doesn't seem to be continuity between the newly-exposed metal and either + / - terminal, I'm still somewhat concerned that this may create a fire hazard.

I called customer service about this. Battery Junction told me they had a technician confirm on their end that the case doesn't fit, but that there was nothing else they could do.

It's only a couple of dollars but I was really disappointed that Battery Junction wasn't willing to make things right (at their expense). This was a terrible experience for a simple purchase. Do we have a contact at the company who might be able to help escalate the matter?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased 3x Nitecore NL1834 18650 batteries and 3x UltraFire 18650 battery cases (plus a Nitecore headlamp + charger). These were the top rated items in each category on Battery Junction's website; they were not obscure brands buried somewhere on Page 67 of the search results. Despite that fact, the UltraFire cases were too small for the Nitecore batteries, and in fact they damaged the battery's insulation when I tried to make them fit. Though there doesn't seem to be continuity between the newly-exposed metal and either + / - terminal, I'm still somewhat concerned that this may create a fire hazard.

I called customer service about this. Battery Junction told me they had a technician confirm on their end that the case doesn't fit, but that there was nothing else they could do.

It's only a couple of dollars but I was really disappointed that Battery Junction wasn't willing to make things right (at their expense). This was a terrible experience for a simple purchase. Do we have a contact at the company who might be able to help escalate the matter?

It doesn't surprise me at all. Not that I've had any bad experiences myself with them, simply because I have no expectations. I have observed over the years that they often will mark up prices on products just days before taking it back down to the previous price and call it a sale. As well as trying to market a sale in which nothing has actually been reduced in price but the wording will be intentionally misleading. Occasionally they will have a good sale but it's usually on items I'm not interested in...not their fault. I have bought things from them, but I try to find other sellers who have what I'm looking for before buying from them.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to be... you know... sorry for your misfortune, Not the Brightest.

But why blame Battery Junction when it is Ultrafire at fault? And why would you try to force anything into anything... ever? "18650" batteries, nominally 18mm diameter, 65mm length, can come with all sorts of variations between the various brands, half a mm fatter, a mm or two taller.

Wise choice not to use them. But ~$18/ea is not "a few bucks," nor cheap, not even for 3500mAh 18650. Why those NiteCore cells? Battery Junction also sells 3500mAh LG MJ1 INR18650 10A cells for $5.35. I'd take those any day over any LiCo cell.

Funny thing... not ha ha... my understanding is that UltraFire 18650 protected cells are never 65mm... always longer, won't fit some lights. Generally, we CPFers all stay away from anything with "fire" in the name, except SureFire... though there are a few attractive UltraFire hosts, or at least one... I do like the UltraFire C3 in stainless, but only for brain swaps, that driver is hidious.

Also, :welcome:

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you tore up your new batteries by trying to force them into a battery case and you want battery junction to replace them?? If somebody walks up to your house and punches your door 75 times and breaks their fist should you have to pay for their medical bills?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Brad has always done right by me. But I haven't broken anything then asked him to give me my money back either.

Last batch of primaries I bought there in July were made in April btw.

Not the Brightest

Newly Enlightened
Wise choice not to use them. But ~$18/ea is not "a few bucks," nor cheap, not even for 3500mAh 18650. Why those NiteCore cells? Battery Junction also sells 3500mAh LG MJ1 INR18650 10A cells for $5.35. I'd take those any day over any LiCo cell.

The NiteCore cells were highly rated, popular, and protected. As stated in the OP, I didn't scroll down to page 67 of the search results looking for a better deal. I wanted to buy a known quantity that would just work with minimal fuss; Battery Junction failed me.

Also, I didn't force the case shut. It had sharp edges that dug into the insulation.

Who is Brad?

tenja

Newly Enlightened
I don't post here much, but this one drives me to comment. I agree with the others above. This is not Battery junction's fault by any means. The 18650 batteries are the most random sizing on diameter and length of any battery. Some fit, some don't, etc. There is no guarantee that that battery fits any particular case. And it's not their fault you damaged the battery by forcing it in. That's on you.

Just buy some rewrapping film on amazon and fix the wrapper yourself for less than $0.25 per battery. I damaged one years ago doing the same thing you did, and that made me figure out how to rewrap batteries. Now I rewrap anything that looks marginal and then label them myself. I honestly like my battery supplies better now as most all have the same "look", and not a drawer full of rainbow colored batteries. I know I can reach for a light green battery and it's a good 18650.

Not the Brightest

Newly Enlightened
I don't post here much, but this one drives me to comment. I agree with the others above. This is not Battery junction's fault by any means. The 18650 batteries are the most random sizing on diameter and length of any battery. Some fit, some don't, etc. There is no guarantee that that battery fits any particular case.

Great, so I guess next time I should fly out to Battery Junction's headquarters to check the fit ahead of time? :rolleyes:

And it's not their fault you damaged the battery by forcing it in. That's on you.

As stated previously, I didn't force it. The case was of poor quality and it had sharp edges.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have solutions given here, namely getting some heat shrink battery wrappers and rewrapping your cells.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
If they sell a battery case (and AFAIK they only offer one "brand") then they are implying that it WILL fit whatever battery they sell. If not, they should list the specific batteries which will/won't fit & their stock numbers for them. That's just good business practice to educate the customer & avoid this kind of bad will.

I had to stop buying from them when their website started launching a zillion scripts from untrusted places. Too much effort to decide which to allow to run & which might be malicious or track me.

Not the Brightest

Newly Enlightened
You have solutions given here, namely getting some heat shrink battery wrappers and rewrapping your cells.

Yeah that's totally worth it, not :rolleyes:

Since "Brad" has not addressed it, I'm thinking I will just dispute the charge. Even in the highly unlikely event that I lose, it will cost them more money in labor than the ill-gotten profits from my order, especially if I appeal it a couple of times.

turbodog

Flashaholic
No need to be vigilante about it. Your post count is low so I'm assuming you a new to the hobby. Chalk it up to learning experience and go on. FYI, like it's been said, 18650 sizing is not all the same. In addition, if you got protected cells that would explain why there's no continuity between the cell side and either end. It also explains why the cell diameter is larger than expected... there's a double layer of shrink wrap.

Not the Brightest

Newly Enlightened
Your post count is low so I'm assuming you a new to the hobby.

I've lurked here for years and accumulated a drawer full of CR123A, AA, AAA based flashlights based on CPF recommendations. My prior use case was infrequently-used, (mostly) emergency lights so I stockpiled lots of primary cells. Now I'm doing more regular walks/bike rides at night so I picked up 14500 and 18650 based lights + batteries + chargers for the first time. This is the first time I've been screwed over by a vendor.

FWIW these cases arrived today and they fit the batteries correctly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZDXP5S/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
FWIW these cases arrived today and they fit the batteries correctly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZDXP5S/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Fantastic! now you have a case for your protected cells, And you get to choose what color you want them to be, And you also have a spare case for any Unprotected cells you`ll probably be needing in the future! :)

I never thought I`d use unprotected cells but the truth is some lights simply won`t accept them! and you Need unprotected. I`v added protection circuits to dozens of cells and done even more re-wraps, it really is easy and also a lot of fun deciding what color(s) you want them to be. I`d be looking at it as a happy accident! :)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see the OP stick around and update with feedback on their post. Give yourself some credit Not the Brightest.
Thank you for following up.