Why no N-cell Luxeon keychain lights available?

bigbird

Newly Enlightened
I've been poring over the forum and following links to try to find what I'm lusting for - an N-cell (for size) Luxeon (for white-light output) made for keychain use. The NLS "Larry-light" shown in MrBulk's reviews strikes me as perfect.

My question is - given that there is a proven demand for such a product, and given that prototypes have been made and sold by several people, why hasn't someone (like Arc) actually manufactured and marketed such a product?

I must be missing something - is it a lack of critical component supply? Is it a perceived lack of a market for a short-life light? Is it a pricing issue?

Seems to me that all these things can be overcome - why haven't these lights been brought past the prototype stage?

Can anyone shed some light on this (sorry) for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I know one N-cell Luxeon 1W KEychain light available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's the Turbo-mate or nano-mate from Lambda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

See yourself here : Lambda

But it's sold ould for the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Try in B/S/T Forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigbird

Newly Enlightened
Key word was \"Available\"

The question is why can no-one buy one - "Available" meaning for purchase of new goods.

I can't even buy the Jelly-bean light - all of the world's keychain lights that are worth anything seem to have been eaten by the cookie monster or something...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: Key word was \"Available\"

Runtime on a N-cell LS light is apt to be measured in minutes - maybe even whole minutes.

I'm not fond of changing batteries on my keychain light weekly.

Just because everyone on CPF is clamoring for something doesn't mean that there's a big enough market for a manufacturer to research and develop a product. CPF is a concentrated minority that also conveniently has divergent opinions on just about everything.

Tesla

Enlightened
Yep, I think your premise is faulty about there being a "demand" for this item. I don't think it's there in the general "non-flashaholic" population.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Agreed, an N cell flashlight is a flashoholic niche, but with that said, I love my lambda turbo nanomate, although a lens protector has to be used to protect it's plastic lens when being used on my keychain.

Still smaller and brighter then anything of it's size.. white as can be too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Why no N-cell Luxeon keychain lights available

I think an Arc N style flashlight would be profitable - minimal R&D, other than to reduce output current a little, and a small size. Not every application of an LED needs a Luxeon.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've got an NLS and a Turbo Mate, but then again, I'm an admitted flashaholic, not your average, everyday consumer.
So I'm not in a good position to answer this question accurately or fairly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

bigbird

Newly Enlightened

I'd be willing to bet time and effort that I could sell 5000 of "the brightest keychain flashlight available." Apparently at least several hundred such have already been sold so far via CPF alone.

As to battery life, I'd be happy to trade size for longevity, particulary since typical use of such a thing is probably measured in seconds, rather than minutes, and people have low expectations for such a thing anyway. If I had to do a monthly battery change, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

The Nano-Mate is a bit larger than it needs to be, IMHO.

Meanwhile, for the tme being, I found a used Arc AAA on the B/S/T section, which should be pretty decent when lithium AAA's actually show up (and about time, too).

bigbird

Newly Enlightened

P.S. - I'd bet an NLS would be a best-seller at the Sharper Image...

Aten_Imago

Banned

Humn I had to think on this question a little while. I've owned a Turbo-mate for 2 months now and even as a newbie, judge it to be the most potent flashlight ( oz for oz) in my collection. Speaking objectively, my guess is that the 1AAA lights like the Dorcy and 'finger-tip' lights like the Photon in addition to the button cell lights like the Keymate, Coast/LED Lensers etc fill the market demand in this niche.N cells are not as ubiquitous globally as are button cells or AAA's. And so to paraphrase Gillette "We can only hope to sell a million razors, if our customers can easily purchase 10 million double edged razor blades". My Lambda Turbo-Mate is sweet but the Dorcy AAA covers about 75% of my needs at 1/6 th the cost. Eventually, Turbo-Mate performance will come down in price ( Sorry !) then, N cells might become ubiquitous and with them Luxeons that may run on them.

83Venture

Enlightened

The run time on the Nano-Mate I have seen on one of the threads quoted 30-45 Min depending on brand of battery.

bigbird

Newly Enlightened

Checking battery capacity at Eveready, it shows that with Energizers, N cells have 80% of the capacity of AAA: 1000mah vs 1250, so the battery issue is not major. This would imply that a AAA Luxeon would give about 36-55 minute life, per the previous post. Is that enough? It's certainly enough for me for a bright keychain light.

How about another flavor: a Luxeon LED in an ARC AAA? I actually favor the AAA in one respect, since it is 1.5mm slimmer than an N cell.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

N-cells aren't always easy to find, and tend to be expensive whenever you finally do track them down.

83Venture

Enlightened

I picked up a two pack of N at Target for less than $3.00 not too far from 123 price over the net.

Aten_Imago

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I think alkaline N cells are $1.79 for a package of two at Radio Shack.

[/ QUOTE ] Not at My local Radio Shack they're not $1.79/pair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'll have to double-check that then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
But I'm pretty certain that they were $1.79 for a two pack.

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened

I just bought some N-cells for my EOTech and they were $3.00 for a two-pack of Energizers at Target.