HDS universal clip transfer on 18650 / 2AA bodies

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed one peculiarity on long bodies (18650) on Rotary/Tactical, this also applies to the body 2AA. If install the universal clip on the back cap and if you bend the clip so that it creates good pressure and is useful, then the cap becomes skewed (top picture).

This skew does not affect the work, but I do not like it, I have a feeling that because of this, there may be water leakage in the future (when used in wet / sea conditions), since one part of the seal is constantly energized, and the other is relaxed.

I moved the clip to the main body to relieve stress on the cap (middle photo). It turned out to be very convenient:

1) it became easier to change the brightness with one hand in any grip;

2) with a cigar grip, it works as a tactical finger support.

To keep the universal clip in place, I put a spacer from a piece of waxed cardboard, in future I will make a lining from 2 semicircular pieces of aluminum (as bushings in a plain bearing, bottom photo). Also a very simple and cheap option - a plastic pipe with an outer diameter of 25.4 mm and inner diameter 21.5mm. The inner diameter may be smaller, it all depends on which pipe you find. If the inner diameter is less than 21.5 mm, then you need to take a file and adjust to the desired size.

Made a small video

https://youtu.be/iYd0mduAbv8

This is all pretty rare use, at least on this forum (I see very few fans of the universal clip), but in case it is useful to someone, I made this separate post so that it does not get lost in the general stream.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Great idea, Desert! Makes good sense, also eliminates any possibility of the clip scratching up the tube as it rotates around. Thanks for the video as well! (The background music is especially inspirational. [emoji4])

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Johnnyh thanks, I hope it will be useful to someone :)

Well, here's a piece of polypropylene plastic pipe for plumbing. The outer diameter was originally 25.4 mm as needed and the inner diameter was smaller. At first I tried to enlarge the inner diameter with a file, but it was too tedious, so I took a knife and cut everything from above. Holds very well, 1 side cut was enough to put on the sleeve, it is springy.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I wrote about, aluminum sleeve, outer diameter 25.4, inner diameter 21.7 (for 18650 body). I had to cut it with an ax, but she does her job perfectly, keeps like a glove. The clip works fine.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, if you decide to put a clip on the body and willing to use a tube to make it fit, then it can be any fitting clip, not necessarily from HDS. Thermal stretch tube would help fix it. This one is from ultrafire u-f10

https://imgur.com/gallery/5qVv3n8

Last edited: