[Review] - Fenix E12 v2.0 - Mini EDC Flashlight - AA 160 lumen - by Lock

lock

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone… today we will see the Fenix E12 v2.0: small 160 lumen keychain light powered by AA batteries. The product was sent directly by Fenix ​​for review.

Here
you can find all the official info of the Fenix E12 v2.0

E12%20(9).jpg

E12%20(15).jpg

Packaging and content
The package includes:

• Fenix E12 v2.0
  • AA Battery
  • Lanyard
  • Spare O-ring
  • User Manual
  • Warranty Card

The Fenix ​​E12 v2.0, for this review, was sent to me with the battery and Belt clip included but without any other accessories.

Main features and official technical specifications

• MATCH CA18 cool white LED
  • Portable EDC Flashlight
  • Single AA Battery Powered
  • Outputs
    • High - 160 Lumens/1 Hour/223 Feet
    • Med - 30 Lumens/13 Hours/91 Feet
    • Low - 5 Lumens/70 Hours/39 Feet
  • IP68 Waterproof Rating
  • Aluminum A6061-T6 Body
  • Two position pocket clip
  • Single tail-switch control for one handed operation
  • No standby current when turned off
  • Ultra-thin optical lens (3mm) coated with AI+UV
Batteries

• Included: One 1.5V AA Alkaline Battery
  • Recommended Batteries: AA Ni-MH Battery or AA Alkaline Battery
Size

• Length: 3.06"
  • Head Diameter: 0.75"
  • Body Diameter: 0.69"
  • Weight:0.96 oz (Excluding Battery)

Levels of Output and Runtime
The Fenix ​​E12 v2.0 has 3 normal output levels. The runtimes vary according to the cell used (Ni-MH or Alkaline).

Lumens and Runtime with Ni-MH Battery:
• High: 160 lm dichiarati (misurati 150 lm) – 1
• Mid: 30 lm dichiarati (misurati 30 lm) – 13h
• Low: 5 lm dichiarati (misurati 6 lm) – 70h

The measured data are to be considered peak (taken within 30 seconds of switching on and with the battery fully charged) and all proved to be consistent with the manufacturer's statements.

The body and the materials
The Fenix ​​E12 v2.0 is a small keychain flashlight, powered by primary AA batteries and capable of providing a maximum output of 160 lumens with a maximum shot of 68 meters.

E12%20(18).jpg

The lowest level of only 5 lumens allows a runtime of 70 hours.
Mmaterials are of high quality, the finishes are accurate, the thicknesses are abundant and the weight is low.
It is comfortable in the hand, it fits well, the switch is easily operated.

E12%20(1).jpg

E12%20(2).jpg

E12%20(5).jpg

The body, the tailcap and part of the head are finely worked with a precise knurling that guarantees excellent grip and good tactile feedback.

E12%20(8).jpg

E12%20(11).jpg

The lettering and the anodizing are well done.

E12%20(16).jpg

E12%20(13).jpg

The switch is in the tail, rubberized, mechanical and double-stroke. Pressed until the click allows you to turn the torch on or off while partially pressed it manages the variation of the output levels.
The tail is not flat but tailstanding is still possible.

E12%20(7).jpg

The optical part consists of a transparent lens with anti-reflective treatment, a particular orange peel reflector and a MATCH CA18 cool white LED
with a cool but not excessively cold tint. The bezel is bronze colored.

E12%20(3).jpg

E12%20(4).jpg

E12%20(6).jpg

E12%20(17).jpg

E12%20(19).jpg

The belt clip is particularly sturdy and thick, is double-sided and offers excellent grip on clothing.

E12%20(10).jpg

E12%20(12).jpg

E12%20(14).jpg

Water resistance is guaranteed according to the IPX8 standard, therefore submersible torch up to two meters deep.

E12%20(20).jpg

E12%20(21).jpg

E12%20(22).jpg

E12%20(23).jpg

E12%20(24).jpg

E12%20(25).jpg

E12%20(26).jpg

Following some nightshots ...

Beamshot #1
b%20(1).gif

Beamshot #2
b%20(2).gif

Beamshot #3
b%20(3).gif

Beamshot #4
b%20(4).gif

Beamshot #5
a%20(1).jpg

Beamshot #6
a%20(2).jpg

Beamshot #7
a%20(3).jpg

Beamshot #8
a%20(4).jpg

Beamshot #9
a%20(5).jpg

Final judgement
The Fenix ​​E12 v2.0 is a small and handy flashlight that can be taken anywhere.

Perfect as an EDC, its power is adequate for all small daily tasks.
Simple to use, the switch is easily detectable and activated.

Aesthetically beautiful, it is made with top quality materials and finely finished. Good anodizing and knurling of the body that offers excellent grip. The bronze-colored bezel is beautiful.

Cool tint tending to Neutral, perfect EDC beam.

I have not found any particular defects in this new product, and I can only recommend it.
Thanks for reading XD

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Re: [Review] - Fenix E12 - Mini EDC Flashlight - AA 130 lumen - by Lock

Very nice photography work but I am concerned you might have gotten the wrong manual included with the box. There are 2 versions of the E12. Your photos are all of the recently released V2. But all the specs are for the original.

• XP-E2 versus SST-20
  • 130 lumens versus 160 lumens
  • 88 meters throw versus 68 meters

Sos24

Enlightened

I just got the E12 v2 in the mail. I'm looking forward to doing some testing of it and the E01 v2 that also came.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

• XP-E2 versus SST-20
  • 130 lumens versus 160 lumens
  • 88 meters throw versus 68 meters

Thanks for posting differences between the 2015 and the new one. Is that right that the old E12 has more throw on 130Lm?

bykfixer

Flashaholic

the SST is a throwey LED. So perhaps the optic is more geared to add flood, which may have reduced throw.

BDFA1971-EA4-D-48-E7-94-AA-35-FED960-F489.jpg

The specs for the original.

A2-D00441-189-F-4-A7-C-9-FA0-B5-CF979-DCE06.jpg

The specs for V2

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thx bykfixer. Looks like more lights are using current regulation these days. Sweet.

Edit: didn't look closely enough... previous version was regulated... little chance V2 isn't regulated also. Always loved Fenix, even as a junkie for warmer LED, I always liked Fenix's cool white.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened

the SST is a throwey LED.

The SST-20 is throwy compared to the SST-40 or XM-L2. However it isn't throwy compared to the XP-E2. Until the Osram CSLNM1 came around the XP-E2 had the smallest die of any LED commonly used in flashlights. The SST-20 is more similar to the XP-G2 for die size.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened

I have a hunch that some of my family and friends will be getting these from me for Christmas.

I also have a hunch I'll be getting a few for myself because I want them.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't really like rocking boats, but I prefer the original E12 host.

atZTbdh_d.jpg

Ecstatic they are regulated, didn't think Fenix had implemented current regulation until recently. Always loved their constant current drivers, too. Original E12 are still available, so Fenix still gets my money. Hello November.

Last edited:

lock

Newly Enlightened

yes ... sorry, corrected the specs :twothumbs

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't really like rocking boats, but I prefer the original E12 host.

atZTbdh_d.jpg

Ecstatic they are regulated, didn't think Fenix had implemented current regulation until recently. Always loved their constant current drivers, too. Original E12 are still available, so Fenix still gets my money. Hello November.

I like the original better too. It looks slightly more compact too.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened

I just got 4 of the E12 V2s for glove compartment lights, and am very impressed with them.

For the non-flashlight-nerd members of the family, I wanted something with:
- Readily available batteries
- A simple user interface, with no SOS or strobe, no twisting to get different modes, etc
- Compact size and good performance for every day needs

The E12 fits that bill nicely.

I've EDC'd a Fenix P2D for over 12 years, and the switch is starting to get a little unreliable, so I'm swapping one of the E12s for it. Sorry, old friend, it's been a long and rewarding journey, but it's time.

Fenix doesn't recommend lithium batteries as best for the E12, but for the cars, I need something that won't corrode the flashlight and will have long shelf life. So far, lithium AAs are working fine, with the same output according to my non-calibrated eyes. I've put a few spare lithium AAs in a ziplock in the glove compartments as well.

Coming from all those years with the P2D, I'd like to see more output on the medium level, but getting long life from a AA battery is probably a higher priority, and the high mode makes up for it nicely. I especially like that it starts on a low output that's not going to ruin your night vision, while the high output is plenty bright enough for any casual task with a decent throw.

It has a wider spot, less sharp transition, and more spill than my P2D, which are also useful qualities for a casual task light for the rest of the family, IMO. I'm leaving the clip on and installing the lanyard for the car lights, but for my EDC, I'll remove the clip so I can put some o-rings on it for mouth holding mode, like my P2D has.

As a bonus, when I showed it to my wife, she admired how nice it looks. This is partly due to the beautiful bronze bezel that lock mentions, which is right in her preferred color pallet, but also because of the nice machining and the attractive reflector. It's really quite a good looking flashlight for the money, and I've been a fan of Fenix quality for a long time.

I've been intermittently looking for a high quality, affordable, simple AA flashlight for years for non-flashlight people, and Fenix has hit it out of the park on this one, at least for me. YMMV, as always.

Thanks to lock for the great review!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the original better too. It looks slightly more compact too.

Must be that optical illusion thing (which is big around here:)

For the V2.0, I'm seeing (@fenix-store):

Length: 3.06"
Head Diameter: 0.75"
Body Diameter: 0.69"

For the original E12, I'm seeing (@fenix-store):

Length: 3.54 inches/90mm
Diameter: 0.75 inches/19mm

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Must be that optical illusion thing (which is big around here:)

For the V2.0, I'm seeing (@fenix-store):

Length: 3.06"
Head Diameter: 0.75"
Body Diameter: 0.69"

For the original E12, I'm seeing (@fenix-store):

Length: 3.54 inches/90mm
Diameter: 0.75 inches/19mm

Interesting. I like the higher medium output on the original also. The new version is still a great light for the money and ticks a lot of boxes.

CSG

Newly Enlightened

I like the light from the V2 better but it's a half in shorter than the original (which is also better looking IMO) so the current version is an ergonomic bust for me but still a very nice light for the nightstand. Sadly, the clip in the V2, while it fits the original, is not useful as it extends beyond the tail switch. But, if you like the original (I have two), my guess is you'd buy buy as many as you want because I'm sure they will drop from the line just like the E01s did.

Sos24

Enlightened

I just got 4 of the E12 V2s for glove compartment lights, and am very impressed with them.

For the non-flashlight-nerd members of the family, I wanted something with:
- Readily available batteries
- A simple user interface, with no SOS or strobe, no twisting to get different modes, etc
- Compact size and good performance for every day needs

The E12 fits that bill nicely.

I've EDC'd a Fenix P2D for over 12 years, and the switch is starting to get a little unreliable, so I'm swapping one of the E12s for it. Sorry, old friend, it's been a long and rewarding journey, but it's time.

Fenix doesn't recommend lithium batteries as best for the E12, but for the cars, I need something that won't corrode the flashlight and will have long shelf life. So far, lithium AAs are working fine, with the same output according to my non-calibrated eyes. I've put a few spare lithium AAs in a ziplock in the glove compartments as well.

Coming from all those years with the P2D, I'd like to see more output on the medium level, but getting long life from a AA battery is probably a higher priority, and the high mode makes up for it nicely. I especially like that it starts on a low output that's not going to ruin your night vision, while the high output is plenty bright enough for any casual task with a decent throw.

It has a wider spot, less sharp transition, and more spill than my P2D, which are also useful qualities for a casual task light for the rest of the family, IMO. I'm leaving the clip on and installing the lanyard for the car lights, but for my EDC, I'll remove the clip so I can put some o-rings on it for mouth holding mode, like my P2D has.

As a bonus, when I showed it to my wife, she admired how nice it looks. This is partly due to the beautiful bronze bezel that lock mentions, which is right in her preferred color pallet, but also because of the nice machining and the attractive reflector. It's really quite a good looking flashlight for the money, and I've been a fan of Fenix quality for a long time.

I've been intermittently looking for a high quality, affordable, simple AA flashlight for years for non-flashlight people, and Fenix has hit it out of the park on this one, at least for me. YMMV, as always.

Thanks to lock for the great review!

The "non-flashlight people" flashlight is exactly why I purchased this light to try. My wants for this category go as:
- Simple UI
- Common easily found/ purchased batteries
- Reliable
- small enough for pocket, purse, etc

The Convoy T2 is what I had gotten a few family members, but it is hard to find and I like the Fenix E12 v2 better

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened

The fenix E12 was one of my favorite single AA lights. It was also the first of many AA lights that I lost. I just lost my Olight I5t at work tonight, so I may get this one as a replacement. Im not overly impressed with the specs (considering the competition), but I always liked the simple UI. Thank you Fenix for adding a clip to the updated version.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sipher3 - I have the orig. E12, like it, and still use it for some applications. The new one seems to be an improvement to me, too. All my heavy use work lights, however (must) have 'momentary on'. I think your I5t had that (I don't have one), but as you know, E12s don't. I know you're aware since you've used both, and it may not matter to you - just reminding you of that difference because if you use lights near continuously at work as I do, and you've become highly accustomed to the momentary-on of the I5t, you may miss that a LOT if you switch back to an E12. If you didn't use it much on the I5t, then of course you won't care.

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened

Sipher3 - I have the orig. E12, like it, and still use it for some applications. The new one seems to be an improvement to me, too. All my heavy use work lights, however (must) have 'momentary on'. I think your I5t had that (I don't have one), but as you know, E12s don't. I know you're aware since you've used both, and it may not matter to you - just reminding you of that difference because if you use lights near continuously at work as I do, and you've become highly accustomed to the momentary-on of the I5t, you may miss that a LOT if you switch back to an E12. If you didn't use it much on the I5t, then of course you won't care.

Your right. I just picked up the Fenix E12 V 2.0 yesterday and immediately missed the momentary on switch. I do still have a Olight i3T, so i will most likely use that as my work light. I really wanted a medium mode for extended use, so the new E12 should work out fine for everything else.

Jaxon

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, I am getting mine on Thursday,hopefully it willl be a good edc light.
i plan to grind the protusion on the clip with a belt sander,so it won't snag things.