Panasonic BQ-CC65 - charger ticking and zzzzz type of noise

emhava

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]I just bought this beauty of a Panasonic BQ-CC65 'Smart' charger as new. One question please :): Is it normal for a charger to make a tiny ticking sound to start with? With time it starts going into a zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz type of intermittent, regular sounds. This is irrespective of the battery AA or AAA, charged or not, new or old.

Is the sound normal or a sign of a poor quality model? I also noticed that the older and poorer quality batteries can get heated to almost 60 degrees C but then the charger showed the 'wrench' and started cooling off soon after and I think this is more reflective of the poor battery quality and a plus for the charger. Otherwise the charger works perfectly fine. Many thanks for the advice on the sounds :whistle:[/h]

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, but sounds like a bad PSU... or rectifier... (do those have rectifiers?). That could describe arcing. I'd get a replacement from the seller or manufacturer.

:welcome:

emhava

Newly Enlightened
I don't know, but sounds like a bad PSU... or rectifier... (do those have rectifiers?). That could describe arcing. I'd get a replacement from the seller or manufacturer.

:welcome:

Thank you both for the reply :thumbsup:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends how loud it is. I have crap hearing, but I can still hear most single-channel multi-slot chargers switch the charging slot on regular intervals. This is because the electronics have to cycle through each slot while charging, or sometimes just turn on and off a single slot. It does create a bit of noise. But if it's loud, then something is probably off. It might just be loose joint that magnifies the vibration at just the right frequency.

It the charger works okay, I'd continue to use it. Just make sure the noise isn't getting worse over time.

emhava

Newly Enlightened
It depends how loud it is. I have crap hearing, but I can still hear most single-channel multi-slot chargers switch the charging slot on regular intervals. This is because the electronics have to cycle through each slot while charging, or sometimes just turn on and off a single slot. It does create a bit of noise. But if it's loud, then something is probably off. It might just be loose joint that magnifies the vibration at just the right frequency.

It the charger works okay, I'd continue to use it. Just make sure the noise isn't getting worse over time.

Thank you, it is a very interesting point and this is why I like this forum. :thumbsup:

The sound is faint. However, a similar intelligent charger from Amazon did not have this sound. What is even more interesting is that the Panasonic does do the sound even on a single battery charge.

I have already returned the unit back as per previous advice, I will let you know, hope the replacement will not do the same.

I did hear horror stories of chargers catching fire so I did this for safety.