Simple 3D and 4D Mag mods?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was given a 3d and a 4d mag

Anything simple with aa to d series adapters or 18650s? Where do I even get adapters anymore?

T-Steve

Newly Enlightened
Hi GB,
I put one of Adventure Sport's firefly maglite upgrades (with reflector) and it is fantastic. Later I put one of his Firefly bulb upgrades in a 2D Maglite and it works fine as well.

And he's a good guy. Good luck.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was given a 3d and a 4d mag

Anything simple with aa to d series adapters or 18650s? Where do I even get adapters anymore?

For better result let us know what you prefere:
1- LED or incandescent?
2- Rechargeable or primary?
3- What kind of brightness?
4- Run time?
5- Budget?
6- Which is priority? 3 cell or 4 cell?

325addict

Enlightened
The first very simple "mod" is to replace that stock krypton bulb by one of their new MagNum star II bulbs. You'll be amazed HOW much brighter that new bulb is!

Then, you could go all the way to a full mod, if you can still get the parts: take a 9AA to 3D adapter, a metal reflector, a glass lens and a PR-to bi-pin adapter and put a WA1185 or WA1166 bulb in it. Now THAT will give an amount of light you've never seen before from a Maglite. Such a setup SMOKES a MagCharger :)

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Then, you could go all the way to a full mod, if you can still get the parts: take a 9AA to 3D adapter, a metal reflector, a glass lens and a PR-to bi-pin adapter and put a WA1185 or WA1166 bulb in it. Now THAT will give an amount of light you've never seen before from a Maglite. Such a setup SMOKES a MagCharger :)

Sourcing the parts is the difficult part. A sticky with the whole recipe for various mods would be nice.
And would that be 9x 1.5 alkaline, or 9x 1.2 NiMH, to meet the voltage requirements?

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Fivemega knows what is current. He's just waiting on OP to be more specific.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the incandescent forum, so I'm looking for incandescent mods right now, I guess. I used to have a wa1185, bipin and a fivemega battery adapter. I'm okay with either NiMH AA or 18650 - this is more of a, "I have the light, what can I do with it for cheap" kinda project

I know the WA bulbs are long out of production, and the fivemega battery adapter thread is closed

325addict

Enlightened
Absolutely NO alkaline here. The WA1185 bulb draws in excess of 3 Amps, which would severely overload an alkaline AA. It wouldn't be any bright too, due to the voltage sag. The only possible power source here is the best quality NiMH AA you can get. Think Eneloop.

Sourcing the parts is the difficult part. A sticky with the whole recipe for various mods would be nice.
And would that be 9x 1.5 alkaline, or 9x 1.2 NiMH, to meet the voltage requirements?

light-modder

Enlightened
Battery adapters can be found on amazon. I don't know the quality as I haven't bought any yet but was looking at some 3AA to D parallel adapters. As was mentioned you'll need series adapters most likely. Anyway try amazon they may have some.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of making a 3D printed adapter to run 2 protected 26650's in a 3 D cell light if anyone is interested, send me a PM.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw some EEMB brand 3 volt aa batteries at Amazon for $8 each. Using a series of those in eneloop adapters in a 3D flashlight with a 9volt bulb could work. A dummy D in a 4 cell light could too.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some EEMB brand 3 volt aa batteries at Amazon for $8 each. Using a series of those in eneloop adapters in a 3D flashlight with a 9volt bulb could work. A dummy D in a 4 cell light could too.

A couple of 3 AA to D cell Series adapters would work with a dummy cell for a 3D light for that, with an extra dummy for a 4D, though run time might be a bit short. I think that 2X 26650's would probably give the best run time with a 6 cell bulb.

325addict

Enlightened
Fully agree with the 2X 26650 option. The only thing you need is a 3D Mag, and a rod of brass or so, to complete the length of 3D cells together, so the spring makes good contact. Just 2 pieces of 26650 are too short, I bought a "2.5D" from Fivemega years ago, where two of these cells fit without anything to add.
2X 26650 are more like 70mm per pieces, so 140mm in total
3X D-cell is 3X 61.5mm = roughly 185mm in total
What misses is 185 - 140 = 45mm or brass rod, 33mm in diameter.
Once you found someone who can make this for you, the fun can begin. Already much better than the standard bulb is the 6D MagNum star II. Even better is the Tad Customs special Maglite bulb that fits the adapter you get with every Magnum star II, and if you like the simplicity of a better PR-bulb, then Tad Customs also got you covered with his PR7212 bulbs: 7.2V / 1.2A with a life of 50(!) hours. These are VERY nice, I have 15 pieces of these! This is about the utmost you can use in a standard Mag: anything above this power will melt the reflector and/or the standard Lexan lens!!

If you could invest roughly $15,- in this 3D, you can get a metal cammed reflector plus glass lens from Kaidomain. THEN you could use the Tad Customs PR7218, wich draws 1.8A and is TWICE as bright as the PR7212. You don't have to worry about melting reflectors, lenses or breaking down of the stock switch. It can handle the heat and this current.

If you want a REAL hot setup, you could try if Tad Customs still has some of the PR to G4 bi-pin adapters and his excellent 7.2V / 2.5A bulbs, originally meant for the Surefire M6 adapters. But I can tell you.... they also fit this PR to bi-pin adapter and it will be VERY, VERY bright indeed! I have a metal reflector and glass lens installed in my 2.5D and let it run for over 60 minutes. Although the head was simply TOO HOT to touch, there was nothing wrong after that hour. No smoke, no ugly smell, no molten reflectors, lenses or switches (and no exploded batteries!)

A couple of 3 AA to D cell Series adapters would work with a dummy cell for a 3D light for that, with an extra dummy for a 4D, though run time might be a bit short. I think that 2X 26650's would probably give the best run time with a 6 cell bulb.