UK eLED or SL 4AA

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All,

I've seen the favorable reviews for both of these lights. I like the regulation of the eLED but I hear the SL is brighter. I'd like to get one of these for my 82 year old mother. Which one has the easier operating switch? Any other recomendations. Thanks in advance.

-jim

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a UK eLED and two SL 4AA LEDs (one black, and one yellow). I assume you are talking about the SL LED model?

I think that the switch is easier to operate on the SL, but the switch is located at the tail of the light. Your mom may prefer a switch towards the front of the light.

Both lights are basically as bright as the other...I wouldn't worry about brightness when comparing the two.

The UK is fully regulated, and has a very long output. Have a look at Roy's runtime test here.

The SL definitely feels better in your hand. It is shaped for your hand, more than the UK, which is basically molded to the batteries.

There is no right answer. Perhaps you should buy both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif, and let your mother try them out and see what she likes. Then, whichever one she doesn't like, is yours! They both make for excellent glovebox lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights and I'd definitely recommend the SL for someone who doesn't need to light an area much more than 30 feet in front of them. It has a much smoother and wider beam and lights up the area in front very well. The UK throws a longer beam but its spill light is not as good. The SL starts out brighter and stays that way for a reasonably long time. The switch on the SL is much easier to operate, especially for someone whose fingers may not be as strong as they once were.

symes

Enlightened
Noting the 82 y/o - it's the SL 4AA 7LED everytime.

Much wider (seems more useful i.e. lights all of the room, not just what you point it at) beam. Easier to grip. Larger head to grip when changing batteries. Switch is 'easier to find' - it's always on the end i.e. you don't have to twist it around looking for the black knob...

Only thing I'd favor with the UK eLED in this scenario is that the alignment of the batteries is easier. On the SL you have to peer inside and look at the diagram. On the UK you can drop two AAs face down into the well then the other two go face up - easier to handle.

Hope that helps...

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Got both. Agree with folks above. The SL has a much more user friendly switch and a broader beam for around the house.

Be sure and take a look at the SL when you visit your grandmother. She may not notice over time that the light has become dimmer.