best aa one cell light for alkilines?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
> it seems to dim fast like it wasnt regulated

maybe your expectation for a "regulated" light is not realistic

have you measured the voltage when the light dims?
what brightness are you using, that dims "too" fast?

maybe below a certain voltage the light level you are requesting is too high,

so the light steps down to the next level it can maintain.

a quick google found these:
jDMS1Xq.png

IPqTS46.png

they look quite well regulated to me

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
ZebraLights are indeed nicely regulated.

If you're expecting long runtimes on High output,
with one measely ALKALINE AA cell . . . . . . .

:rolleyes:
_

raggie33

*the raggedier*
perhaps i used a used cell im so cheap i dont throw my old batts away lol

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems to dim fast like it wasnt regulated

An alkaline is only good up to about 500mA of current. Beyond that, it dies really quickly, so your zebralight will fall out of regulation fairly quickly. 500mA will easily give you the brightest medium mode on a AA zebralight (around 50 lumens). You might also be able to run the lowest high mode (around 100 lumens) for a decent amount of time. But that's about all you can do, and expect regulation, from an alkaline.

Go for an Eneloop to get the full benefit out of your zebralight.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Most likely you are trying to operate at a higher output level than alkaleaks can sustain. A regulated boosted light can eat alkaleaks big time if the output is more than the light can sustain for long periods of time when the battery is new is does ok but after the voltage of the battery starts dropping the current draw from the battery is increased to keep the power level constant and this increased current drain can lead to again drop in voltage which has the circuit to draw more current. The only way to get around this process is to either drop the output level to the LED or drop the regulation and let the output drop follow the battery voltage. You have to decide what lumen output you desire and then check graphs to see if that level is manageable using alkaleaks.

Burgess

Flashaholic
is eneloop just a brand of nimh?

Eneloop is the Original "Low Self Discharge" NiMH battery

Originally developed by Sanyo,
and now owned by Panasonic.

I've been using them more than 12 YEARS now,
and they are Truly a MIRACLE advancement !

:twothumbs
_

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
is eneloop just a brand of nimh?

yes eneloop is a name brand of Nimh batteries, one of the highest end batteries.
you can find what ever suits your budget, but alkalines leak and we don't like losing our favourite light to that.

Don't leave alkaline batteries in a light, it's one thing to use them in an emergency but at the end of each night or shift, take the batteries out.
a lot of us just don't use alkalines anymore, paying a little more for lithium primaries or nimh rechargeables so we never have to look down into the light and see that it's been ruined. It's peace of mind.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloop is the Original "Low Self Discharge" NiMH battery

Originally developed by Sanyo,
and now owned by Panasonic.

I've been using them more than 12 YEARS now,
and they are Truly a MIRACLE advancement !

:twothumbs
_

Eneloop made batteries when they were owned by sanyo. Now they make wrappers and the cells are made either by FDK/fujitsu in Japan or someplace in China.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
the AAA version (E02II) is just like the E03II only smaller and a few less lumens (I have both, including the original E02).
but again, beware of alkaleaks, they don`t really work well in All flashlights, I saw another thread on another forum with someone asking pretty much the same thing because they got crap results from using alkaleaks, it`s hard to steady a failing or under-rated a cell.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the AAA version (E02II) is just like the E03II only smaller and a few less lumens (I have both, including the original E02).
but again, beware of alkaleaks, they don`t really work well in All flashlights, I saw another thread on another forum with someone asking pretty much the same thing because they got crap results from using alkaleaks, even using Direct Drive it`s hard to steady a failing or under-rated a cell.
yeah i hate alkaleaks i just want a light that runs on them incase the world gets more insane and batteries are hard to find