NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: best aa one cell light for alkilines?

Default best aa one cell light for alkilines?

id love something that has a rock steady regulation
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: best aa one cell light for alkilines?

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    best aa one cell light for alkilines?
    got a Zebralight H53w AA
    Is there a problem with the Zebra?

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Is there a problem with the Zebra?
    it seems to dim fast like it wasnt regulated
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

> it seems to dim fast like it wasnt regulated

maybe your expectation for a "regulated" light is not realistic

have you measured the voltage when the light dims?
    what brightness are you using, that dims "too" fast?

maybe below a certain voltage the light level you are requesting is too high,

so the light steps down to the next level it can maintain.

a quick google found these:
    Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post

they look quite well regulated to me
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.

ZebraLights are indeed nicely regulated.

If you're expecting long runtimes on High output,
    with one measely ALKALINE AA cell . . . . . . .

_

the Manker E03II would probably suit you

perhaps i used a used cell im so cheap i dont throw my old batts away lol

perhaps i used a used cell
    test the voltage

Eneloops are a total game changer,
    never leave the house with a partly depleted primary again...

perhaps i used a used cell im so cheap i dont throw my old batts away lol
    Don't throw away the partially depleted ones, make (or buy a kit) a joule thief and run them down to 0.40vdc.

Flashaholic*

it seems to dim fast like it wasnt regulated
    An alkaline is only good up to about 500mA of current. Beyond that, it dies really quickly, so your zebralight will fall out of regulation fairly quickly. 500mA will easily give you the brightest medium mode on a AA zebralight (around 50 lumens). You might also be able to run the lowest high mode (around 100 lumens) for a decent amount of time. But that's about all you can do, and expect regulation, from an alkaline.

Go for an Eneloop to get the full benefit out of your zebralight.

is eneloop just a brand of nimh?

Most likely you are trying to operate at a higher output level than alkaleaks can sustain. A regulated boosted light can eat alkaleaks big time if the output is more than the light can sustain for long periods of time when the battery is new is does ok but after the voltage of the battery starts dropping the current draw from the battery is increased to keep the power level constant and this increased current drain can lead to again drop in voltage which has the circuit to draw more current. The only way to get around this process is to either drop the output level to the LED or drop the regulation and let the output drop follow the battery voltage. You have to decide what lumen output you desire and then check graphs to see if that level is manageable using alkaleaks.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Eneloop is the Original "Low Self Discharge" NiMH battery

Originally developed by Sanyo,
    and now owned by Panasonic.

I've been using them more than 12 YEARS now,
    and they are Truly a MIRACLE advancement !

_

yes eneloop is a name brand of Nimh batteries, one of the highest end batteries.
    you can find what ever suits your budget, but alkalines leak and we donít like losing our favourite light to that.

Donít leave alkaline batteries in a light, itís one thing to use them in an emergency but at the end of each night or shift, take the batteries out.
    a lot of us just donít use alkalines anymore, paying a little more for lithium primaries or nimh rechargeables so we never have to look down into the light and see that itís been ruined. Itís peace of mind.
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Petzl Strix VL

Very reliable thing

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Eneloop is the Original "Low Self Discharge" NiMH battery

Originally developed by Sanyo,
    and now owned by Panasonic.

I've been using them more than 12 YEARS now,
    and they are Truly a MIRACLE advancement !

_
    Eneloop made batteries when they were owned by sanyo. Now they make wrappers and the cells are made either by FDK/fujitsu in Japan or someplace in China.

Sorry about that post. I don't think it fit so I deleted it.
    Last edited by greenpondmike; 09-20-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    the Manker E03II would probably suit you
    are the aaa version of that light well regulated? i have the 420 lumen version but have not used it yet

the AAA version (E02II) is just like the E03II only smaller and a few less lumens (I have both, including the original E02).
    but again, beware of alkaleaks, they don`t really work well in All flashlights, I saw another thread on another forum with someone asking pretty much the same thing because they got crap results from using alkaleaks, it`s hard to steady a failing or under-rated a cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    the AAA version (E02II) is just like the E03II only smaller and a few less lumens (I have both, including the original E02).
    but again, beware of alkaleaks, they don`t really work well in All flashlights, I saw another thread on another forum with someone asking pretty much the same thing because they got crap results from using alkaleaks, even using Direct Drive it`s hard to steady a failing or under-rated a cell.
    yeah i hate alkaleaks i just want a light that runs on them incase the world gets more insane and batteries are hard to find

it would run on them just fine, but using it on High or Turbo may draw more power than they can handle, so stay low.

think of it this way, using what we talked about a couple of days ago, imagine an LED uses 1 Watt to make 200 lumens, you have a 1.5v battery, so you`ll need to draw .66 Amps, an alkaleak would be hard pushed to maintain that, but an Eneloop would enjoy it! LOL

cool info i have a few eneloops 16 of the new 10 year batts and 8 of the blacks. i also have 16 ebl 2800 mahs which aee great for the low cost im not sure about storage

the eneloops you can just charge and forget really, the others you`re best just leaving until you need them and charge them up then.

the other thing to remember with the alkaleaks is that they spend most of their working lives at about 1.2 volts, so when you factor that into our calculation you`re looking at even More current being drawn just to produce 1 watt! so you`re better off drawing half that and using 100 Lumens.
    But, when you think about it, 100 lumens is still 4x as bright as the flashlights we grew up with, so I guess alkaleaks don`t do Too bad using modern emitters and driver tech, shame they suck for everything else though! LOL

Flashaholic*

DollarTree has a 1xAA flashlight with a 2-inch or so reflector. It throws extremely well even though the output is maybe 15L (probably less). It has a long run time and the contacts are easy to clean if your cell leaks inside it.

Also, even if a cell ruins the flashlight, it only cost you $1.

I keep one next to the bed since the switch doesn't make any noise to activate and it's not bright enough to wake my wife if I turn it on. I've run several half dead cells through it and have been extremely pleased with it (all things considered...an EDC light it is not!).

--flatline
    Last edited by flatline; 09-21-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Sounds like buying 5 would ok FL.
    John 3:16

Enlightened

Wait are you looking for a flashlight or a battery? If it's battery, go with enloop or ikea which are enloop pros for $10 a pack. To fully drain or finish off an alkaline cell the flashlight wouldn't be able to maintain max output no matter how stable it is if voltage is too low. I recently purchased a Thrunite T10T for collection purposes, and this thing does a great job at pushing out light as long as the cell can support it. On very low to dead and dying batteries was still able to get low mode going.

I too realized how good it is to have something running off AA batteries in case of extended emergencies or power outages. Not going to lie, all my powerful lithium cell flashlights would be depleted after a week if I ran them near peak with no way to juice them up.

I mainly went with thrunite because it was the only economical Titanium AA light that came in neutral white. The lumintop AA tool was brighter off AA, but unavailable in neutral white for the price I wanted to pay. Overall I found both these to perform very well off alkalines and NiMH. They also take 14500 li cells for peak performance which is very nice to have. If you do end up with lumintop, 14500 batteries make this light have a constant on blue tail cap light that would parasitically drain the battery in a week or two.
    Last edited by Optiblue; 09-21-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Flashaholic*

Alkalines are risky but work good at low current draw. Some year ago I just out of curiosity tested a fresh alkaline on my SC5W at highest level of ~500lm(slightly less with warm tint). Actually it managed full output for roughly 2 seconds or so, and then started to drop. Within a minute the output was halvened.
    In opposite to that 2 alkalines with Malkoff M31LL at ~60lm is stable for around 5 hours, I don't recall exactly.
    Alkalines are hated and that has its reason, but still they are a strong contributing factor I get AA lights at all. Even if I have Eneloops or IKEA Ladda(according to tests the same battery) and Lithium primaries the very opportunity to use alkalines is an advantage.