Thread: HDS Systems #23

Default HDS Systems #23

Continuation from here.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default Re: HDS Systems #23

Fresh start.

On the topic of lowest modes, I can't remember, are the lowest modes calibrated too, so we can compare HDS within themselves?

Lowest modes are one of the point that originally drew me toward HDS, and I remember being disappointed by my first one and it's 0,08lm mode, that was too high! Compared to the somewhat variable lowest low of Zebralights of that era. Fun memories.

Any update on the headlamp?
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

Great idea on the fresh start...Im looking forward to see what those HDS guys come up with next to drain more of my monetary resources...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Any update on the headlamp?
    I wish. Henry and I discussed a couple different models. One, his dream headlamp, and is cool as hell, I'm hoping to see sometime before I die, but I'm losing hope on that. The second, which would come to market sooner... I still may not live long enough to see. I did start an exercise program... but if things moved any slower, the sun will burn out and we will all be in the dark.
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    Fresh start.

On the topic of lowest modes, I can't remember, are the lowest modes calibrated too, so we can compare HDS within themselves?

Lowest modes are one of the point that originally drew me toward HDS, and I remember being disappointed by my first one and it's 0,08lm mode, that was too high! Compared to the somewhat variable lowest low of Zebralights of that era. Fun memories.
    Yep. They are all calibrated but the trained monkey working the calibrator has been known to make a mistake or two (NLT anyone?) so don't compare it to one of those early NLT lights. They got a super-duper low. The monkey has had a stern talking to and was retrained.

Something important to consider that is much more pronounced on the lows is the hot spot and color temp. Cooler temps will appear brighter as will a a more focused hot spot even when both are at the same lumen level.

Note: I am that monkey.
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Yep. They are all calibrated but the trained monkey working the calibrator has been known to make a mistake or two (NLT anyone?) so don't compare it to one of those early NLT lights. They got a super-duper low. The monkey has had a stern talking to and was retrained.

Something important to consider that is much more pronounced on the lows is the hot spot and color temp. Cooler temps will appear brighter as will a a more focused hot spot even when both are at the same lumen level.

Note: I am that monkey.
    I always wondered why my XPG2 always send brighter that my XPL at the lowest level.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Please give us a rotary headlamp, I need one so bad! Wearing a caving helmet with a HDS strapped to it, just isnt my style!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    Please give us a rotary headlamp, I need one so bad! Wearing a caving helmet with a HDS strapped to it, just isnt my style!
    Here you go...
    https://i.imgur.com/2xN3G3w.jpg

Just messing with you Hogo.
    2700k 219C HDS Rotary 3900k HDS Clicky 4500k 219B HDS (Bare Al) Rotary
    5700k (High Noon) HDS Clicky 6200k XP-G2 Orange HDS Rotary Ra-85-Tr
    UV 365nm HDS Rotary FreLux Synergy2 4500k XPL RD BOSS

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
    Here you go...
    https://i.imgur.com/2xN3G3w.jpg

Just messing with you Hogo.
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! LOL!
    I made Henry throw that away.

We don't need no stinkin' headlamps.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 09-19-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    I play with dead things

I, cherish my two ultra ultra low nlt lights, appreciate the monkey.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! LOL!
    I made Henry throw that away.

We don't need no stinkin' headlamps.
    Since its probably not being used, can I have the white reflector out of that?
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Flashaholic*

That little feller has to have that for his night walks
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

The Rotary dial on a headlamp makes sooo much sense! Come on Henry!! Make it happen!

Proud owner of a super low NLT. Perfect with sleep adapted eyes.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic

I LOVE that bug, the super-super-low and gradual turn-on is friggin' awesome when waking up in the dark.

In other news, did you ever smoke that 'baccy I sent you? Don't put another 30 years on it...

Here are some photos of this morning's hike with the SDR50. That is what I have been using for the past couple of weeks.
    I get out at 0430 so it is pretty dark on the goat trail (no goats but there are big horn sheep... at least the ones the mountain lions don't eat).
    I use one of the HDS rechargeable 123s, and haven't changed the battery since the 5th. It should be noted that when I get up, I don't turn any lights on in the house, and use a High Noon in the house on the lowest setting .02, in order to preserve my night vision before the hike.
    Camera is an iPhone 11 as my iPhone 10 is till at the bottom of Canyon Lake.
    I will also say that there is a small delay on the SDR50 right now as the trained monkey at HDS didn't get the rest of them to the shop we use to robotically mount them in a timely manner. The monkey will be spoken to sternly and some of his toys temporarily taken away... maybe the tire swing.

I play with dead things

Wow! Im jealous and angry. You live in an amazing area. Regardless, Im trying my hardest to avoid the Samsung. Pictures like this are making it hard on me. How far out is the hill in the first picture?

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Wow! Im jealous and angry. You live in an amazing area. Regardless, Im trying my hardest to avoid the Samsung. Pictures like this are making it hard on me. How far out is the hill in the first picture?
    That is about 100 yards +/- 10.
    I really like the bigger hot spot on it.
    I do like where I live, but there are some nuisances...

but those critters make some beautiful inlays!

My hiking companion this morning...
    I play with dead things

Im not a fan of either Of those critters. Actually I dont think I can decide which one l like less. I guess like anywhere you take the good with the bad. If I could spot them at 100 yards with an HDS Id steer clear of them.

I think tarantulas are fascinating but if I saw that up close I would have a heart attack!
    2700k 219C HDS Rotary 3900k HDS Clicky 4500k 219B HDS (Bare Al) Rotary
    5700k (High Noon) HDS Clicky 6200k XP-G2 Orange HDS Rotary Ra-85-Tr
    UV 365nm HDS Rotary FreLux Synergy2 4500k XPL RD BOSS

Stone: Me too

Hogo: Are there still plenty of the Samsung 5000k left?

Im not a fan of either Of those critters. Actually I dont think I can decide which one l like less. I guess like anywhere you take the good with the bad. If I could spot them at 100 yards with an HDS Id steer clear of them.
    Well, the rattlers eat the pack-rats, and the pack-rats eat the wiring in your vehicles... so... The reality is, a rattler just wants nothing to do with you. You are too big to eat. They will either lay still hoping you just pass by or try to slither off. If they coil and shake their tail, well, that's your warning he didn't have his coffee that morning. Tarantulas are great. They eat the other bugs. Don't really want one in my home, but when I find them in the yard, I let them be. Scorpions are another matter. I have a kill on sight order for those little jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
    I think tarantulas are fascinating but if I saw that up close I would have a heart attack!
    That is why I'm hiking. Trying to avoid that heart attack thing. I'm overdue.

Stone: Me too

Hogo: Are there still plenty of the Samsung 5000k left?
    Yes. We have quite a few they just won't be mounted for a couple weeks. Blame the monkey.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

I used to eat the rattlesnakes. Then i realized they had no flavor besides the seasoning in the cornmeal and the way I was cooking them would help lead me to one Of those heart attack things as well. Now they get to just slither away
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

@Hogo, the 3 outdoor beamshots are quite cool. For me not bad for a small light like a HDS. Also the light color seems to be nice. Even if you always say you can not make Beamshots, I find this beamshots really very useful!

--
    Currently I no not have the "Samsung High Noon". I got a Ti Clicky High Noon this week, therefore currently no additional HDS at this time, at least for now. But the Samsung High Noon is tempting.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Im thinking on getting a Samsung 18650 for the longer periods during the darker winter months.

Im also thinking about getting a stainless steel HDS when the rest of them become available for sale. Since I have sold my Ti and it was quite an expensive piece for a flashlight, I think the ss can be the perfect replacement. Robust and comparable to titanium, but more affordable and with a new emitter.

The Samsung emitter seems to be the new hype, 300 lumen and high cri, and since it produces a floodier beam, it should be really convenient for edc usage. Hogos beamshots have become quite helpful in my decision making.

Recently I started carrying my ss40 more and more again (imo the best tint since my beloved high noon). I decided to sell my new Oveready Boss since I cant really see that much difference on Afterburner and maximum on my HDS. I also greatly prefer the button and the UI of the Rotary to the McClicky of the Boss. The Rotary was my first high end light since 2017 and I keep getting drawn back to it.

Those beam shots are an anomaly for me. Normally, my beam shots suck on toast.
    Apparently, if I am to get get good beam shots, I need to be sweating like a whore in church, wheezing like a broken steam engine, and my knees more torn up than the previously mentioned lady in church, all while dodging venomous critters and skunks on the trail. Well, I guess that is a small price to pay for good photos.
    I play with dead things

We appreciate the efforts Hogo! Really nice beam shots you got there!

Flashaholic*

Since getting it, my HDS SS40 Tactical has been in my pocket every. single. day.

Normally I add another light that would be my more typical user in day-to-day tasks, but I feel like my SS40 has a place in my EDC more similar to my Sig P938. I can walk out of my house without a Zebralight or some P-60 whizz-bang special and be fine leaving without it, but I forget the HDS (or the Sig) you bet your donkey I'm running back inside to grab it! I really don't feel good leaving the house without it. Maybe this is just because of the craziness of some people right now and I'm just being a little extra, but there is a not-insignificant portion of my mind that feels so much better having my HDS on me. But I'm kinda in an odd spot right now mentally, my parent's house was targeted by some degenerate who spread chocolate along the ground inside the dog-fence.

Now that I'm using my HDS lights a bit more than in the past, I find that when I use other lights I find myself thinking "darn, really wish I could knock <selected output> down one notch a-la-HDS."

So yeah Hogo and Henry thanks very much for the work you have done, it can go beyond just providing light but comfort too. Cheers!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast