HDS Systems #23

Lithium466

Enlightened
Fresh start.

On the topic of lowest modes, I can't remember, are the lowest modes calibrated too, so we can compare HDS within themselves?

Lowest modes are one of the point that originally drew me toward HDS, and I remember being disappointed by my first one and it's 0,08lm mode, that was too high! Compared to the somewhat variable lowest low of Zebralights of that era. Fun memories.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Great idea on the fresh start...I'm looking forward to see what those HDS guys come up with next to drain more of my monetary resources...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any update on the headlamp? :grin2:

I wish. Henry and I discussed a couple different models. One, his dream headlamp, and is cool as hell, I'm hoping to see sometime before I die, but I'm losing hope on that. The second, which would come to market sooner... I still may not live long enough to see. I did start an exercise program... but if things moved any slower, the sun will burn out and we will all be in the dark.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fresh start.

On the topic of lowest modes, I can't remember, are the lowest modes calibrated too, so we can compare HDS within themselves?

Lowest modes are one of the point that originally drew me toward HDS, and I remember being disappointed by my first one and it's 0,08lm mode, that was too high! Compared to the somewhat variable lowest low of Zebralights of that era. Fun memories.

Yep. They are all calibrated but the trained monkey working the calibrator has been known to make a mistake or two (NLT anyone?) so don't compare it to one of those early NLT lights. They got a super-duper low. The monkey has had a stern talking to and was retrained.

Something important to consider that is much more pronounced on the lows is the hot spot and color temp. Cooler temps will appear brighter as will a a more focused hot spot even when both are at the same lumen level.

Note: I am that monkey.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. They are all calibrated but the trained monkey working the calibrator has been known to make a mistake or two (NLT anyone?) so don't compare it to one of those early NLT lights. They got a super-duper low. The monkey has had a stern talking to and was retrained.

Something important to consider that is much more pronounced on the lows is the hot spot and color temp. Cooler temps will appear brighter as will a a more focused hot spot even when both are at the same lumen level.

Note: I am that monkey.
I always wondered why my XPG2 always send brighter that my XPL at the lowest level.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please give us a rotary headlamp, I need one so bad! Wearing a caving helmet with a HDS strapped to it, just isn't my style!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go...
https://i.imgur.com/2xN3G3w.jpg

Just messing with you Hogo.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! LOL!
I made Henry throw that away.

We don't need no stinkin' headlamps.
img-0337.jpg

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
I LOVE that bug, the super-super-low and gradual turn-on is friggin' awesome when waking up in the dark.

In other news, did you ever smoke that 'baccy I sent you? Don't put another 30 years on it...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some photos of this morning's hike with the SDR50. That is what I have been using for the past couple of weeks.
I get out at 0430 so it is pretty dark on the goat trail (no goats but there are big horn sheep... at least the ones the mountain lions don't eat).
I use one of the HDS rechargeable 123s, and haven't changed the battery since the 5th. It should be noted that when I get up, I don't turn any lights on in the house, and use a High Noon in the house on the lowest setting .02, in order to preserve my night vision before the hike.
Camera is an iPhone 11 as my iPhone 10 is till at the bottom of Canyon Lake.
I will also say that there is a small delay on the SDR50 right now as the trained monkey at HDS didn't get the rest of them to the shop we use to robotically mount them in a timely manner. The monkey will be spoken to sternly and some of his toys temporarily taken away... maybe the tire swing.
img-0693.jpg

img-0694.jpg

img-0695.jpg

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I'm jealous and angry. You live in an amazing area. Regardless, I'm trying my hardest to avoid the Samsung. Pictures like this are making it hard on me. How far out is the hill in the first picture?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I'm jealous and angry. You live in an amazing area. Regardless, I'm trying my hardest to avoid the Samsung. Pictures like this are making it hard on me. How far out is the hill in the first picture?

That is about 100 yards +/- 10.
I really like the bigger hot spot on it.
I do like where I live, but there are some nuisances...

img-0681.jpg

but those critters make some beautiful inlays!

My hiking companion this morning...

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of either Of those critters. Actually I don't think I can decide which one l like less. I guess like anywhere you take the good with the bad. If I could spot them at 100 yards with an HDS I'd steer clear of them.