Imalent        
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems #23

Default Re: HDS Systems #23

I will probably receive an answer that seems downright obvious once Iíve read it but:

How do these things handle encounters with sand, mud, and silt? I am ashamed to say I have never taken a Rotary into such conditions because the Clicky comes instead every time.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I will probably receive an answer that seems downright obvious once Iíve read it but:

How do these things handle encounters with sand, mud, and silt? I am ashamed to say I have never taken a Rotary into such conditions because the Clicky comes instead every time.
    Keep taking the Clicky...
    It won't hurt the Rotary, but you can get grit in there which would be annoying... unless you want it be like a pepper mill.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Agree if you plan on getting the light muddy clicky is the way to go.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post

The only way that would ever happen to me would be if I stepped in quicksand.
    I have to say that I treat my HDS lights like royalty.
    I have actually dropped a couple and my heart stopped as I check my baby for and dents or scratches.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    I have actually dropped a couple and my heart stopped as I check my baby for and dents or scratches.
    Henry just felt a disturbance in the force.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

When I drop an HDS I check the floor/pavement/ground or whatever I dropped it on for dents, scratches or damage[emoji3]

Not such a good metaphor if you treat it like French or Russian royalty... I believe HDS actually shot one at point blank on purpose.

From my experience which I do not wish to repeat, the HDS Rotary deals pretty well with muddy silt, but it was just a brief swim. I was using it up in the rafters of a shelter. It fell about 8-10ft, bounced off the concrete flooring and landed nicely in a muddy mess. It was still on when it landed. Once I cleaned off the mud, the only damage was some new dings in the ano that just add character.

It has only been to the beach a couple of times, and on those it remained in the pocket or hand, so it hasnít had to experience the grittiness.

Default HDS Systems #23

Someone here posted a picture about a few years ago of his HDS which he kept in his toolbox drawer for a long time rattling around with heavy tools. It was an impressive image of wear and ding. I think it was tolkaze - in 2015.
    Last edited by wweiss; 01-24-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Slight shift in topic... however when I do drop my HDS I really am more concerned about what it landed on then another ding / scratch. I use my lights... not abuse .. but really use them.

So, I love, love the rotary. however lately I have been taking my new gen clickly out and about as I feel it is more robust to the sand/ mud rocks/ I now find myself in. That said I have noticed the tail is getting chewed up and was wondering if the clickly is going to get the stainless steel upgrade for the tail as the rotary recently had? Any guesses? Hoping we could buy that part independently someday.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    ...when I do drop my HDS I really am more concerned about what it landed on then another ding / scratch.
    Indoors, yes. Outdoors, depends. It would cost me more to repair certain areas of flooring around the home than to replace an HDS outright.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Indoors, yes. Outdoors, depends. It would cost me more to repair certain areas of flooring around the home than to replace an HDS outright.
    Than it is time to think about a BeCu Rotary
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

lol...Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    was wondering if the clickly is going to get the stainless steel upgrade for the tail as the rotary recently had? Any guesses? Hoping we could buy that part independently someday.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

If your HDS doesn't have a few good dings on it, then you're not using it correctly.
    Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 01-28-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    If your HDS doesn't have a few good dings on it, then you're not using it correctly.
    Hear hear

I dropped mine a couple of months ago when walking my dog, it bounced on the sidewalk a couple of times. When I got home, i checked it for damage and couldnít find any.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    I dropped mine a couple of months ago when walking my dog, it bounced on the sidewalk a couple of times. When I got home, i checked it for damage and couldnít find any.
    It's comforting. Losing one's grip on most any electronic device usually brings terror. How many of us have damaged smartphones that way? I'm puzzled by the 1 meter or 1.5 meter drop ratings of many flashlight brands. I am about 1.85 meters tall. This means that if I were to drop such a light from eye level, it would be outside of its impact resistance rating.

I don't drop my HDSes very often because the narrowing of the tube between the waist and the tail cap provides a secure grip. Still, once in a while, it hits the ground. On those occasions, I smile thinking of that steel bezel, the lens cushioned between O-rings, and those electronic bits nestled securely in epoxy.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    This is what my 7-year old Rotary looks like:

It has been dropped a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    It's comforting. Losing one's grip on most any electronic device usually brings terror. How many of us have damaged smartphones that way? I'm puzzled by the 1 meter or 1.5 meter drop ratings of many flashlight brands. I am about 1.85 meters tall. This means that if I were to drop such a light from eye level, it would be outside of its impact resistance rating.

I don't drop my HDSes very often because the narrowing of the tube between the waist and the tail cap provides a secure grip. Still, once in a while, it hits the ground. On those occasions, I smile thinking of that steel bezel, the lens cushioned between O-rings, and those electronic bits nestled securely in epoxy.
    Exactly frames why these fantastic lights make it into my EDC often. Itís not often you get to enjoy a beautifully over engineered little thing that fits in your pocket.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

This is what my 7-year old Rotary looks like:

It has been dropped a few times.
    Now that is a properly used illumination tool. Well done!
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I think if your HDS gets that beat up it means you donít have enough HDS. Gotta spread the love around. [emoji38]

Wonderful patina! Is that the original button or has it been replaced? Seems annoyingly fresh[emoji3]

Quote Originally Posted by JKolmo View Post
    Wonderful patina! Is that the original button or has it been replaced? Seems annoyingly fresh[emoji3]
    Recent repair because the old button had developed a split. The new button feels more robust, so I expect it will last longer.
    Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 01-31-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I think if your HDS gets that beat up it means you donít have enough HDS. Gotta spread the love around. [emoji38]
    Every once in a while, I go to the HDS site and put together a custom flashlight order, but I just can't convince myself to pull the trigger. It was easier back when Henry's lights were selling for less than $200. If I remember correctly, the light pictured was in the $170 range at the time I purchased it.

I definitely get that. Iíve had a lot of HDS, and I do feel the ones coming out now really are the best ever. The LED options are fantastic, the newer reflectors are great, and the stainless tailcaps are beautiful! Youíll be hard pressed to ding those up. If you ever feel the itch to add a second to your rotation you will defintely be pleased.

I definitely wanted another rotary for quite some time. I regretted selling my last one. My current clicky ,200 Fanta orange, gets almost no pocket time. And now....my Fraz labs tiny nugget has won the battle for my pocket. Iím sure Iíll get another rotary eventually.

Iíd love to see a picture of your Fraz next to an HDS, if itís nit to much trouble and not too off topic, please.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I definitely get that. Iíve had a lot of HDS, and I do feel the ones coming out now really are the best ever. The LED options are fantastic, the newer reflectors are great, and the stainless tailcaps are beautiful! Youíll be hard pressed to ding those up. If you ever feel the itch to add a second to your rotation you will defintely be pleased.
    Oh, I don't doubt I would be immensely pleased with a new HDS. I actually do have two Rotaries in my possession, a cool white and a high CRI, but the the cool white is strictly a backup and rarely gets any use simply because I don't like the tint (I bought it before the first run of high CRI Rotary lights were available). If I did get a new light today, it would be a high CRI Clicky which is almost tempting at $296 before shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    My current clicky ,200 Fanta orange, gets almost no pocket time.
    I think my old orange Clicky went to Australia where I'll never see it again, but I'd really like to see the color come back so I could get an orange Rotary.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast