Lens of old gen Surefire Z46 (M3)

msrider

Newly Enlightened
Hi, lately I came across a surefire old generation M3, the Z46 light head on it I think is the 1st or 2nd generation one

50362800183_1b2c06954b_b.jpg
[/URL]837408865878451-01 by qw c, 於 Flickr[/IMG]

Unfortunately its lens was overheated and distorted make me a bit hesitated to take it home.

50363493621_e3772137ca_b.jpg
[/URL]837488497253422-01 by qw c, 於 Flickr[/IMG]

I am considering to have the distorted lens to change to a new one, but understand that it's very difficult to take out the lens of some old generation Surefire light heads says D3's. Anyone knows that if this case applies to this M3 Z46 mentioned above? And, if those new third party glass lens for current version of Z46 (says Lumens Factory's) fits the above mentioned Z46?

Thank you!

Last edited:

msrider

Newly Enlightened
Thx for feedback.

It should be another version of Z46 (Laser Products era). Z32 doesn't fit M3.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the serial on that light? I have some early M3's like that. I'm not sure when they switched from lexan to pyrex/borofloat lenses. Mine all have a removable lens ring. I have heard some early Z46's are lexan, but I had always thought that wasn't true.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not your bad. This version of Z46 is quite rare I think, I was also confused at the beginning 😅

My understanding is that some bezels that look like that are lexan windows, and some are heat resistant glass windows. But that's just old knowledge I may be remembering wrong. Yours being a very early serial, lexan shouldn't be a surprise if they transitioned during that time. I don't want to take any of my vintage heads apart to try and figure out the mystery.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very early M3 bezel with the Z32 style snap-in Lexan lens. The light has the crosshair logo on it, so it is a very early example!

I would say a replacement glass or borofloat lens would NOT fit. They're pretty thick if you ever take one apart.

I don't know that you can get the inside pieces out to access the lens without destroying it. The M3 reflector doesn't fit going back through the body.
You'd have to destroy the lens and pull everything out the front, then put it all back and snap a new lens in. Not saying it's impossible. If you got your hands on
a Lexan lens the right dimensions you could probably pull it off.

For a light that age, I'd think it's more valuable leaving it all original. If you want to use it, put the original bezel aside, and get a replacement Z46 with an updated glass lens.

Or instead of a new bezel, I'd suggest the Lumensfactory D36 Mini-Turbohead. It's a pretty good plug and play replacement with great output.
Don't bother trying to match the finish, the black one looks awesome on an M3.