HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

Default 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

This is the plan, pretty straight forward, hope to start soon to complete by early next year,
    • Lumens Factory Seraph M Series Modular Turbo Head,
    • Tad Customs Halogen G4 bipin socket,
    • Leef 3x18650 from fivemega and
    • 4xFM1909, also from fivemega (and many ubercheap 20W 12V G4 halogen bipins from eBay),
    • 2x 3xKeepPower IMR18650 20A 3500mAh (for about ~38 minutes runtime), and
    • z41 in Seraph tail cap

Thinking about the tail switch is giving me issues.

What is more ideal for the lamp?

1) stock Surefire z41 twisty
    2) McClicky
    3) zero resistance twisty
    4) Judco 10A clicky
    5) something else?

I am assuming two things about other switches; first, that there is no way I could acquire an AW softstart, and that a LightSaver Miser can't handle that many amps (though I will probably sacrifice one to find out).

What tail switch should I use?
    Please help me understand what is important for the tail switch in a high amp (5.5A) flashlight.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

A twisty tailcap like the Z41 is nearly indestructible. It can handle very large currents. The Seraph switches are rated for 3 Amps if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    This is the plan, pretty straight forward, hope to start soon to complete by early next year,

Lumens Factory Seraph M Series Modular Turbo Head,
    Tad Customs Halogen G4 bipin socket,
    Leef 3x18650 from fivemega and
    4xFM1909, also from fivemega (and many ubercheap 20W 12V G4 halogen bipins from eBay),
    2x 3xKeepPower IMR18650 20A 3500mAh (for about ~38 minutes runtime), and
    z41 or Seraph tail cap

2) McClicky
    4) Judco 10A clicky
    5) something else?

I am assuming two things about other switches; first, that there is no way I could acquire an AW softstart, and that a LightSaver Miser can't handle that many amps (though I will probably sacrifice one to find out).

Please help me understand what is important for the tail switch in a high amp (5.5A) flashlight.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    A twisty tailcap like the Z41 is nearly indestructible. It can handle very large currents. The Seraph switches are rated for 3 Amps if I remember correctly.
    Thank you! FWIW, I never intended to use a Seraph switch, just the tail cap. But now knowing the stock z41 twisty will be fine, leaning towards that for simplicity, might swap guts into Seraph tail cap eventually... just for aesthetics. z41 were once relatively easily to find, painless to acquire. I need to start watching for a better price than what I'm currently seeing.

Edit: just took another look. I can get the internals of a z41 and an empty Seraph tail cap together for about half the price of a z41. That is so weird. But works for me.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-20-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Ooooh i lime your plan.
    I have also 3x18650 body paired with M6 head and SW02 switch, TadCustoms G4 holder and WA1331
    Need to find one AW so i can use FM1909

Sent from Tapatalk

You got the sweet tail cap. AW SoftStart do change hands from time to time... not sure I really care. I do not know how long the FM1909 will last, but eBay is full of really inexpensive Chinese G4 halogen bipins. Those not expected to last, but fistfuls are still available for almost nothing. I'm sure they won't have much run-life... but at that price, who cares? I just want to run G4 halogen.

Been reading old Lumens Factory threads. Wow the complaints about the BK anodizing on the LF turbo head. Poor Mark. I just want something that works, and I am pretty pleased the parts are still available. Generally, when in use, you can't really see the flashlight itself, just its beam.

I run a McClicky in a FM tailcap,
    Was told good for up to 5A.

Running WA1185 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    I run a McClicky in a FM tailcap,
    Was told good for up to 5A.

Running WA1185 though.
    That is my understanding, also. 5A should be fine. McClicky's are nice also because they are easily found and don't cost a fortune. But something inside says to go as low resistance as possible, that would mean twisty zero rez, but I don't know I can find a ZRT. I don't understand why makers such as Oveready will only do limited runs, sell out, make profit, then leave money on the table by not producing more for the demand to have in stock available for sale. I just don't get it.

I can't remember the specs of WA1185. Does it run on two or three cells?

I bought some of those ubercheap G4 bulbs.

Compared to the Philips I had on my only G4 light, theywere utter crap.
    Very yellow, some filaments broken, bent filament posts and so on.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    I bought some of those ubercheap G4 bulbs.

Compared to the Philips I had on my only G4 light, theywere utter crap.
    Very yellow, some filaments broken, bent filament posts and so on.
    For about 14¢ each, that is what I am expecting. LOL
    I don't mind yellow incan... esp. if that simply means "warm."

Flashaholic*

WA1185 is a 9.6V bulb and can be run on 3 cells.

That is my understanding, also. 5A should be fine. McClicky's are nice also because they are easily found and don't cost a fortune. But something inside says to go as low resistance as possible, that would mean twisty zero rez, but I don't know I can find a ZRT. I don't understand why makers such as Oveready will only do limited runs, sell out, make profit, then leave money on the table by not producing more for the demand to have in stock available for sale. I just don't get it.

I can't remember the specs of WA1185. Does it run on two or three cells?

Flashaholic*

HURRY! HURRY!

The Tad Customs site will be offline at the end of this month, so you don't even have 10 days to order your parts... Tad has not so many parts left and when they're gone, they're gone. I just ordered for over $400,- on bulbs and adapters, also the ones for the SF M3 and M6!

Lumens Factory Seraph M Series Modular Turbo Head,
    Tad Customs Halogen G4 bipin socket,
    Leef 3x18650 from fivemega and
    4xFM1909, also from fivemega (and many ubercheap 20W 12V G4 halogen bipins from eBay),
    2x 3xKeepPower IMR18650 20A 3500mAh (for about ~38 minutes runtime), and
    z41 or Seraph tail cap

2) McClicky
    4) Judco 10A clicky
    5) something else?

Thanks all.

Flashaholic*

HURRY! HURRY!

The Tad Customs site will be offline at the end of this month, so you don't even have 10 days to order your parts... Tad has not so many parts left and when they're gone, they're gone. I just ordered for over $400,- on bulbs and adapters, also the ones for the SF M3 and M6!
    where did you see that info? to me the site just says “dont order due to covid”

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    where did you see that info? to me the site just says “dont order due to covid”
    Confirmed,

Quote Originally Posted by Tad Customs
    Due to Covid-19 the postal services have been suspended.

Please do not place order and please come back in a few weeks.
    Been like that for some time.

325addict, spill it. What are you talking about?
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.

In the meantime, what does the board think of these

A = W/V

So really I want amps, not watts, right? So the higher wattages are not as impressive as the lower wattages at 12V? No, that's not right. The higher the watts at 12V, the higher the amps.

I don't understand the T numbers, T3.5, T4... I thought G4 was G4...? What are these T numbers I see listed in lamp specs? Also seeing GY numbers, GY6.35, etc., I don't understand.

Edit: I take it that GY6.35 is not G4

Nope. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-pin_lamp_base

G4 has 0.65mm-0.75mm diameter pins 4mm apart.
    G6.35 has 0.95mm-1.05mm diameter pins 6.35mm apart.
    GY6.35 has 1.2mm–1.3mm diameter pins 6.35mm apart.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Flashaholic*

I had extensive email conversations with Tad and he told me he would shut down his site at the end of THIS month, but he was able to send to a limited number of countries, including the USA, UK and... the Netherlands!

A part of his email:

"I no longer make bi pin adapters for Surefire or Maglite, so once the stock has been sold out I will close the business. I made these adapters since 2016, and since early this year the business has been shut down due to Covid-19. Until now I am able to ship to the USA, UK or a small number of countries.
    Please visit my website for the details of bi-pin adapters and bulbs:
    http://tadcustoms.com/flashlight.htm

This website will be closed by the end of this month (September). In the future I will only sell on my Ebay store (with higher price and shipping cost):

https://www.ebay.com/usr/t.customs
    And once those adapters and bulbs in my stock are sold out I am not selling any more. It is too time consuming making these and it is getting difficult to source Xenon bulbs.

So sadly, this may again be your last chance to buy these. I hope someone else in the future can make these."

That is more than clear enough to me, I just ordered for $400,- + on goodies from him. Dozens of bulbs and a LOT of adapters for my M3, M6 and PR to bi-pin adapters... this is my LAST CHANCE!

Confirmed,

Been like that for some time.

325addict, spill it. What are you talking about?

I had extensive email conversations with Tad and he told me he would shut down his site at the end of THIS month, but he was able to send to a limited number of countries, including the USA, UK and... the Netherlands!

A part of his email:

"[FONT="]I no longer make bi pin adapters for Surefire or Maglite, so once the stock has been sold out I will close the business. I made these adapters since 2016, and since early this year the business has been shut down due to Covid-19. Until now I am able to ship to the USA, UK or a small number of countries. [/FONT][FONT="]
    Please visit my website for the details of bi-pin adapters and bulbs:
    http://tadcustoms.com/flashlight.htm

This website will be closed by the end of this month (September). In the future I will only sell on my Ebay store (with higher price and shipping cost):[/FONT]

[FONT="]https://www.ebay.com/usr/t.customs
    And once those adapters and bulbs in my stock are sold out I am not selling any more. It is too time consuming making these and it is getting difficult to source Xenon bulbs. [/FONT]

So sadly, this may again be your last chance to buy these. I hope someone else in the future can make these."

That is more than clear enough to me, I just ordered for $400,- + on goodies from him. Dozens of bulbs and a LOT of adapters for my M3, M6 and PR to bi-pin adapters... this is my LAST CHANCE!

Well, I have had about enough of the bad news. I can only hope for better news soon, and that we may look forward to the beginning of the end of incompetence, subterfuge, deception, xenophobia, intolerance, and death. (better? ok.)

Tad's product I call matchless, and the convenience and decent prices will be sorely missed. Let us hope, regardless, that Tad remains safe and healthy, and let's show our gratitude by cleaning out his remaining stock quickly, and continue to support him at his eBay store so that future incan explorers will have the necessary tools to run great lights.

Thank you, Tad, for being a bright spark in the darkness when nearly all other incan lights have been extinguished.

Long live fivemega and Lumens Factory!
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-22-2020 at 07:46 AM.

A reminder, no political discussion in the open forum, thanks.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

@325addict thanks for the info. the ebay store you referred to has now zero items for sale, too bad

Default 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

Tad’s webpage is still active for a few days. Order what you need/can!

Sent from Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Tad’s webpage is still active for a few days. Order what you need/can!

Sent from Tapatalk
    Is he shipping to Croatia? Dont see the list of available countries on the website

It’s available in Paypal when checkout. .
    Or even better send him an email and he will sorted for you.

Flashaholic*

YES, just send him an email! He will answer quickly.

Is he shipping to Croatia? Dont see the list of available countries on the website

Flashaholic*

I noticed that too. I think Tad will only move to his ebay-store after he closed his website.

@325addict thanks for the info. the ebay store you referred to has now zero items for sale, too bad

A moment of silence, please, for Tad Customs website.

Thank you.

May we get back to it?

I want to hear about lamps. Tell me what I am I looking for. What are the tell tale specs of what goes in the G4 socket (fivemega's and Tad's)? A couple different fivemega super lamps, of course... but what can we do on the cheap? Is there no point in searching for lamps?

Can I get to high lumens? Is 2000+Lm out of the question?

Also just want to add, but not detail reasons quite yet... probably not until December... Greenbean is a bloody saint, and I am not worthy.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Flashaholic*

2000+ Lumen is not out of the question: just look at FM's FM09, with his brilliant FM1909 bulb (11.5V / 5.5Amps if I remember correctly). Now THAT is raw power :-)
    2200 Lumens according to FiveMega.

But: I'll tell you a secret: less incan Lumens are also more than worthwile... I personally love the WA1274 and WA1166 bulbs!! These have around 700 Lumens or a bit more. And what about the IMR M6 from Lumens Factory? 1000 Lumens! I can tell you from experience: bloody brilliant! But also their HO-M3T (for a 2-cell li-ion setup) that just draws 2 Amps is a FIRM favorite of mine. This way, you will easily have over an hour of incan goodness per charge in a SF M6.
    But don't forget their simple Seraph SP-9 with an ES-9 "energy saving" reflector module in it. Unbelievable how much light a 7.6V / 0.85A bulb generates...

A moment of silence, please, for Tad Customs website.

Thank you.

May we get back to it?

I want to hear about lamps. Tell me what I am I looking for. What are the tell tale specs of what goes in the G4 socket (fivemega's and Tad's)? A couple different fivemega super lamps, of course... but what can we do on the cheap? Is there no point in searching for lamps?

Can I get to high lumens? Is 2000+Lm out of the question?

Also just want to add, but not detail reasons quite yet... probably not until December... Greenbean is a bloody saint, and I am not worthy.

2000+ Lumen is not out of the question: just look at FM's FM09, with his brilliant FM1909 bulb (11.5V / 5.5Amps if I remember correctly). Now THAT is raw power :-)
    2200 Lumens according to FiveMega.
    I was planning on getting 4 of those FM1909, but had no idea they were that bright! They're not cheap, and overdriving must take a toll on them. Some of the other cheaper lamps I listed were higher amp, but the advertised lumens is a lot less.

But: I'll tell you a secret: less incan Lumens are also more than worthwile... I personally love the WA1274 and WA1166 bulbs!! These have around 700 Lumens or a bit more.
    That is still surprisingly bright. I think it is super fantastic that new Welch Allyn lamps can still be found.

I am going to get and dedicate a tackle box to this build, fill the drawer sections with something soft, label everything, and have a pair of lint free antistatic inspection gloves, a small bottle of alcohol, and lint free disposable wipes kept in there. I ordered Tad's halogen socket, but I also want to find fivemega's halogen socket... one for low beam, one for high, so there will be easy swapping in the dark between the two.

And what about the IMR M6 from Lumens Factory? 1000 Lumens! I can tell you from experience: bloody brilliant!
    Just found the product page and bookmarked it into my halogen lamps folder. Not cheap, but I am sure it is worth it, potted, and in my experience, LF lamps last.

But also their HO-M3T (for a 2-cell li-ion setup) that just draws 2 Amps is a FIRM favorite of mine. This way, you will easily have over an hour of incan goodness per charge in a SF M6.
    I'll need an 18650 dummy cell for this.

But don't forget their simple Seraph SP-9 with an ES-9 "energy saving" reflector module in it. Unbelievable how much light a 7.6V / 0.85A bulb generates...
    That's a different flashlight, but Mark is practically giving them away. It is not on any physical list of mine, but has always been on my virtual list. Very attractive P60 flashlight, and SP9 will run 2x AA with a 3V R30 lamp assembly (if they can be found).

Thanks 325addict... this is good stuff. But I was hoping for a way to find unknown lamps, hopefully bargains. I want to explore, discover something, and enthusiastically inform the board, "hey, guess what I found?! A 12V 500W 20,000Lm G4!!! Only lasts 2 minutes, but it's just 10¢" Unlikely, but you get the idea. Most of the lamps I linked above have higher amp specs than FM1909, but the advertised brightnesses are not nearly as impressive.

What makes a lamp bright if not amps? What idea could I have, just looking at advertised 12V G4 bipin halogen specs on product pages, of what that lamp will do? I thought just looking for higher watts, thus higher amps, would get me there, though at 50W+ that tends to get into GY6.35 sizes.

There is something elusive to me about what lamps are going to be impressively bright. Is it that one must over drive just enough, but not too much? FM1909 at 11.5V seems odd in that... I challenge anyone to find another 11.5V G4 lamp. In that range, they're all listed as 12V. I think fivemega gets his own custom lamps. That must be how he got FM1909, thus the FM in the name. I never thought it was a radio tuned to 190.9Mhz.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Flashaholic*

I have found, by trial and error, that the minimum incand “search light” config for me is a 50mm reflector with at least 20W bulb in it. which is between 600 and 800lm, I guess. I would prefer twice than that, so I am looking forward to having a 1909 setup one day.

But the cost of such a setup would probably exceed $200 which is not that much less than a FF05 ($299) which is a massively more powerful AND power efficient light. And the happy owners say that the tint is fantastic.

So I am torn at the moment

But the cost of such a setup would probably exceed $200...
    I priced it out with all new parts with what is available (and I love that all parts are available to complete the thing... see my thread starter to see the part list) at $253 pre shipping with 4 FM1909 lamps.... but that price is without the cells, and with a Seraph tail cap and z41 twisty switch only costing total about $20. I assume everyone else wants to spend a lot more on the tail cap and switch.

which is not that much less than a FF05 ($299) which is a massively more powerful AND power efficient light. And the happy owners say that the tint is fantastic.
    There is a pink 500Lm LED zoomie called FF05, and that just can't be it, so you're going to have to spell it out longhand, please, to let me know what you are referring to. I assume it is LED? See no practical difference between LED and incan lumens?

Noticed fivemega sells G6.35 lamps. So there is a G6.35 bipin socket? I bet that is only for Mag or a fivemega special host, and won't fit in M size turbo heads.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Flashaholic*

FF5 is a 10000lm HID made by firefoxes(?)

Thank you, I was drooling over that in a new thread that led me to older threads for the FF4 & FF3. Still incan. I approve.

I think the practical difference, beyond lumens and runtime, is durability. You could beat a bison to death with an M (please don't do that!), and it should still fire without issue. I don't think an FF5 will withstand being dropped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast