NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

You should take ONE thing into consideration when overdriving bulbs: their life @ spec. There's NO WAY of overdriving the WA1166 (11.6V / 1.97A) much as these are rated for only 20 hours, on the other hand, the WA1164 (6V / 3.28A) has 2500h(!) life @spec and can be massively overdriven.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    I was planning on getting 4 of those FM1909, but had no idea they were that bright! They're not cheap, and overdriving must take a toll on them. Some of the other cheaper lamps I listed were higher amp, but the advertised lumens is a lot less.

That is still surprisingly bright. I think it is super fantastic that new Welch Allyn lamps can still be found.

I am going to get and dedicate a tackle box to this build, fill the drawer sections with something soft, label everything, and have a pair of lint free antistatic inspection gloves, a small bottle of alcohol, and lint free disposable wipes kept in there. I ordered Tad's halogen socket, but I also want to find fivemega's halogen socket... one for low beam, one for high, so there will be easy swapping in the dark between the two.

Just found the product page and bookmarked it into my halogen lamps folder. Not cheap, but I am sure it is worth it, potted, and in my experience, LF lamps last.

I'll need an 18650 dummy cell for this.

That's a different flashlight, but Mark is practically giving them away. It is not on any physical list of mine, but has always been on my virtual list. Very attractive P60 flashlight, and SP9 will run 2x AA with a 3V R30 lamp assembly (if they can be found).

Thanks 325addict... this is good stuff. But I was hoping for a way to find unknown lamps, hopefully bargains. I want to explore, discover something, and enthusiastically inform the board, "hey, guess what I found?! A 12V 500W 20,000Lm G4!!! Only lasts 2 minutes, but it's just 10˘" Unlikely, but you get the idea. Most of the lamps I linked above have higher amp specs than FM1909, but the advertised brightnesses are not nearly as impressive.

What makes a lamp bright if not amps? What idea could I have, just looking at advertised 12V G4 bipin halogen specs on product pages, of what that lamp will do? I thought just looking for higher watts, thus higher amps, would get me there, though at 50W+ that tends to get into GY6.35 sizes.

There is something elusive to me about what lamps are going to be impressively bright. Is it that one must over drive just enough, but not too much? FM1909 at 11.5V seems odd in that... I challenge anyone to find another 11.5V G4 lamp. In that range, they're all listed as 12V. I think fivemega gets his own custom lamps. That must be how he got FM1909, thus the FM in the name. I never thought it was a radio tuned to 190.9Mhz.

Been reading old Lumens Factory threads. Wow the complaints about the BK anodizing on the LF turbo head. Poor Mark. I just want something that works, and I am pretty pleased the parts are still available. Generally, when in use, you can't really see the flashlight itself, just its beam.
    I read this thread, and I ordered this turbo head, and I am going to return it.
    There are a few problems I do not like:

1. The beam does not focus, I guess you need to use washers
    2. Sharp edges - very sharp and that may cut your fingers
    3. Uncoated lens

If you have a Surefire KT4 there is no reason to buy this one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yKJ...ew?usp=sharing

It is 2020 and for super bright incandescent I still think that this one is the solution of everything, if you accept that it is made in China (just same as Lumens Factory). However it is discontinued and very hard to find one these days.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mers-(12V-50W)

Quote Originally Posted by konifans View Post
    If you have a Surefire KT4 there is no reason to buy this one.
    I did not have a hope, but Greenbean offered me a Leef KT4 build and I jumped on it. The only reason I'd get the LF Turbo head is because it is very reasonably priced... to test out cheaper unknown lamps before using in the KT4. If a lamp is going to explode, I'd rather it be in the less expensive head I can easily replace.

Quote Originally Posted by konifans View Post
    That flashlight really great, G6.35 ready! thx for posting.
    Magic Scorpion Transformers 12V/50W noted.

Apparently there is a "Fancier Version" in 24V/250W !!

Last edited by chillinn; 10-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.

I don't see how I can take any beam shots. I can't hold the "camera" steady while holding the light. But Greenbean's Leef/KT4 build arrived, and I took a couple snaps before the sun went down... next to what were previously my largest lights.

The build is just immaculate, and Greenbean included all kinds of things, lamps, cells, shims, extra tail cap, I am overwhelmed. From here on, I am going to call it, "The Greenbean" in his honor. I'll need to get a Pelican for it, and I can't get that for a month or two. I need to get one of RPM's smooth Ti bezels when I can afford to, and then find someone who can get the crenellated bezel off and install it (no vice's or strap wrenches here). More importantly, I need to learn how to focus lamps. This thing is incredible, and my face is in pain from smiling for the last hour and a half. I have surely been blessed.

Your to kind,

Lol....

I’m just thankful someone who appreciates it for what it is has it now and can use it and enjoy it.

You were right. Shoots forever... lights up everything away over there and everything on the way, across either side of the creek here. I tried to take some beam shots, but nothing comes out.

Flashaholic*

At least you were able to upload pictures ;-)
    I could take nice pictures of such things as beamshots, as I know how to operate a camera in manual, but... then I have nice pics which I cannot upload here :-(

You were right. Shoots forever... lights up everything away over there and everything on the way, across either side of the creek here. I tried to take some beam shots, but nothing comes out.

What is the focus theory with G4 bipins? What is the object in setting the lamp in the socket to have the lamp focused for the reflector?

Flashaholic*

Default 2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

What is the focus theory with G4 bipins? What is the object in setting the lamp in the socket to have the lamp focused for the reflector?
    There is a certain point within a reflector, on the axis. If you place a tiny source of light to this point, all the rays will be reflected so that they leave the flashlight as a tight beam, all parallel.

If you move the source out of this point, the beam would get not tight.

You can find this point by trial and error setting the bulb more or less deep into the socket

I would say find somebody who can hopefully send you an MN20 or 21 bulb even if it’s blown it gives you the point of reference of the filament.

That’s what I did to focus the WA1185 bulb,

Another attempt at a beam shot. The iPad Mini camera is pretty decent for auto snaps, but not for trying to show a beam in the dark. There may be exposure control I haven't discovered yet. I monkied with the image a little afterwards, so the colors are not accurate.

I have left the WA1185 in the fivemega socket because it is perfectly focused (no shim, sits up in the socket a little), and installed a FM1909 in the Tad socket deep as it will go, and I am trying to focus the thing. I held the sockets next to each other so the filaments line up, and I can see the amount I need to shim / / <--- about that much. I thought I shimmed it pretty close that amount, but the beam against the wall looks like a cat's eye. Pulled the shims and looked again, and beam profile is more round, but not focused. Put all the shims on and more cat's eye. Been trial and erring with different combinations of thinest shim, slowing adding thin shims and checking, for over an hour, and I'm no closer... and I am getting tired from all the concentration. The problem is... I can't tell from checking if I am getting warmer or colder, if I need to lower the filament or raise the filament... I can only see that it is wrong. But I suppose I have learned that if the filament is too low in the reflector, there is a cat's eye or football shape effect to the hotspot against a wall, and if the filament is too high in the reflector, the hotspot is rounder, but blurry. Taking a break.

What I have figured is that lamps they put the gas in on top and leave a pointy tip do not focus as well as lamps filled from the pin side. As best I can, I got the FM1909 focused, and it is damn bright. The beam is tight but not as precisely collimated as with the WA1185. Early this morning i was swapping sockets, walking out to the dock, scanning the shore of the creek and walking back in to swap the socket and start back out again. This flashlight is incredible.

I was thinking also... a Leef 3x18650 can holld 6x18350 cells. Are there any really really bright 24V G4 lamps? I see 24V G4 lamps, but at half an amp.

Hmm,

Can you remove the FM holder from the KT4 and NOT move the bulb but us it as a “reference”

Well maybe not as the reflectors aren’t the same.

Do you have an already Lumens Factory bulb with the filament intact, (not that it matters)

I would use it as a reference, heck even send an email to Mark and ask if he would let you pay for postage and send you a blown bulb so you could use the element location as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Hmm,

Can you remove the FM holder from the KT4 and NOT move the bulb but us it as a “reference”
    That is what I have done. The WA1185 is still in the socket. I am swapping the fivemega socket with WA1185 intact with a Tad Customs socket with FM1909, and back again. I'm not sure what other reflector there is, and I do not (yet) have a Lumens Factory turbohead lamp, but I will probably get an IMR-M6. Outside I can tell how close the focus is, because the moisture in the air reveals the beam. I got the FM1909 is pretty close... I was being picky with the wall profile, but the choice with FM1909 is between a tight cat's eye, a round star with a hole in the middle, or a blurry broken circle. I choose cat's eye, which spreads out to oblong oval at distance. Drop in the fivemega socket with WA1185, back to a perfectly tight beam.
    Last edited by chillinn; 10-30-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12