AA Compact light with tail switch and dual output. This must be doable right guys?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right I'm just gonna post this here, seems about right.

This is my first post. I have been into lights for a while but only posted on German forums, since that's where I'm from. So, hello there.

I'm currently EDCing a Surefire Titan plus, and love it for what it is. However, I was never really in love with the twisty interface and am looking for a light in the AA format with a traditional rear clicky to replace it. I was hoping for years Surefire might release a fitting AA option themselves, but for now that stays a dream, I guess.

My conversion to the rear clicky, dual output interface was ignited predominantly by my Surefire G2X MV, which I have used as a daily driver around the house and property for a few years now, and which I absolutely love.

So, I'm very much looking for something similar to that interface, just in an AA format. That means:

- PROUD rear clicky (rubber for metal I don't care) with momentary on.
- Dual output (Low - High), which can be switched by press (or momentary press) of the rear switch.
- Takes 1X AA battery.
- Small size format. I want to carry the light in my Jeans "Watch pocket", or 5th pocket (whatever you wanna call it).
- Pocket clip (obviously)
- In terms of output it needs to at least match the Titan plus. I would like about 15 Lm on low, and 300+ on high. Ideally more than 300 if possible, but not more than 600.
- Colour temperature should be at least a neutral white, however I personally prefer warm white LEDs.
- Beam should be very smooth and floody. I have become very much used to the MaxVision reflector on my Surefires, and would like something equivalent to that.
- Colour: I like silver lights, as they are easier to find in the dark. But black or grey will be fine. I guess.
- In terms of durability it should of cause not disappoint. Would be nice if it could match a Surefire.
- Price: IDK, less than 200€. I'm willing to pay for quality, I'm a watchmaker.

please no custom makers or limited runs, that makes my head hurt. Just off-the-shelf OK? Would also be nice if it could be gotten in Europe.

I'm really looking for nothing fancy with lots if modes, strobe, SOS, Beacon, Secondary LED or whatever nonsense you people can come up with. Just a simple, Dual output LED flashlight. This must be doable right guys?

Whoever finds typos is invited to keep them.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging those requirements (1xAA, 2 levels, tail switch, no tailstand, with clip) into my database finds 5 matches. I think the best of those for you would be the Olight i5T. Its modes are 15 lumens and 300 lumens. Costs about $30.

There is also a copper version for $40 if you want something that looks nicer.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right I'm just gonna post this here, seems about right.

This is my first post. I have been into lights for a while but only posted on German forums, since that's where I'm from. So, hello there.

I'm currently EDCing a Surefire Titan plus, and love it for what it is. However, I was never really in love with the twisty interface and am looking for a light in the AA format with a traditional rear clicky to replace it. I was hoping for years Surefire might release a fitting AA option themselves, but for now that stays a dream, I guess.

My conversion to the rear clicky, dual output interface was ignited predominantly by my Surefire G2X MV, which I have used as a daily driver around the house and property for a few years now, and which I absolutely love.

So, I'm very much looking for something similar to that interface, just in an AA format. That means:

- PROUND rear clicky (rubber for metal I don't care) with momentary on.
- Dual output (Low - High), which can be switched by press (or momentary press) of the rear switch.
- Takes 1X AA battery.
- Small size format. I want to carry the light in my Jeans "Watch pocket", or 5th pocket (whatever you wanna call it).
- Pocket clip (obviously)
- In terms of output it needs to at least match the Titan plus. I would like about 15 Lm on low, and 300+ on high. Ideally more than 300 if possible, but not more than 600.
- Colour temperature should be at least a neutral white, however I personally prefer warm white LEDs.
- Beam should be very smooth and floody. I have become very much used to the MaxVision reflector on my Surefires, and would like something equivalent to that.
- Colour: I like silver lights, as they are easier to find in the dark. But black or grey will be fine. I guess.
- In terms of durability it should of cause not disappoint. Would be nice if it could match a Surefire.
- Price: IDK, less than 200€. I'm willing to pay for quality, I'm a watchmaker.

please no custom makers or limited runs, that makes my head hurt. Just off-the-shelf OK? Would also be nice if it could be gotten in Europe.

I'm really looking for nothing fancy with lots if modes, strobe, SOS, Beacon, Secondary LED or whatever nonsense you people can come up with. Just a simple, Dual output LED flashlight. This must be doable right guys?

Whoever finds typos is invited to keep them.

I personally have an Olight i5T and can say it fills the role you described very well. It is literally the size of two AA cells stacked on end but uses a single AA cell for power. It CAN use a 14500 Li-Ion cell for power as well and will output around 6-700 lumens should you want it...but only the max output is available then. I use an Energizer NiMH in it for power.

Msf

Enlightened
I will also say the Olight i5T is they closest out there to what you are looking for, except for one thing. Color temperature of Olight is cool white and not what I would call a pure white, but with a tinge of green. I wish they offered it in a neutral or warm tint as those are my preferences as well. If you can live with that, the light certainly seems to meet all of your other requirements.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the momentary function, but other than that the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is a good choice. And if you should ever want more output, you can also use a 14500 LiIon cell instead of an AA cell.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your suggestions. For some reason I never even looked at the Olight. Seems to be quite spot-on. Even comes in colours other then black, so thats nice too. Guess I'll give it a shot. I will have to see in person whether or not I can live with the tint.

Only thing: I have one of the older S1R Batons from Olight, and after only a year or so it started not working properly. It will no longer stay in one of the two turbo modes, and will dial back to low after only a couple seconds. After that all modes but low and medium are inaccessible. Makes be worry a bit about long-term durability of olights. Chinesium and all. But I guess for ~25 bucks..

But please, if any of you still have other suggestions, keep it coming. I will be sure to look into all of them.

Msf

Enlightened
FWIW, sound like the battery, not flashlight, with your S1R. And the Olight batteries in their S series rechargeables are proprietary. You can get other 16340s to fit, but I have not found any that work reliably in any mode other than low and medium. If you have not tried another Olight battery specifically for the S1R, I recommend you try that.

Thanks for your suggestions. For some reason I never even looked at the Olight. Seems to be quite spot-on. Even comes in colours other then black, so thats nice too. Guess I'll give it a shot. I will have to see in person whether or not I can live with the tint.

Only thing: I have one of the older S1R Batons from Olight, and after only a year or so it started not working properly. It will no longer stay in one of the two turbo modes, and will dial back to low after only a couple seconds. After that all modes but low and medium are inaccessible. Makes be worry a bit about long-term durability of olights. Chinesium and all. But I guess for ~25 bucks..

But please, if any of you still have other suggestions, keep it coming. I will be sure to look into all of them.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the momentary function, but other than that the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is a good choice. And if you should ever want more output, you can also use a 14500 LiIon cell instead of an AA cell.

Seconded. Comes with either Cree XP-L HD Cool White or Nichia 219c Neutral White emitters, in Aluminum with black or white ano for $19-$22, in Titanium with gold-plated copper heatsink for $55-$65, and in Copper for $50-$60. I expect this is a reverse clicky just like the original Tool AAA I have.

The only forward clicky light I've seen with modes was the ThruNite Ti5T AAA, 3 modes, firefly, 10Lm, 160Lm, and a hidden strobe, so I would assume that the first version of the ThruNite T10T AA similarly probably had a forward clicky and 3 modes with a hidden strobe. The newer ThruNite T10T V2 is a side clicky.

The Malkoff MDC HA 1AA seems to be precisely what you are looking for, 2 modes, forward clicky. Out of stock, but page has a notify sign up for when they're back in stock. Don't like the modes? Get over custom and contact Gene and tell him what you want, and he'll make it for you. Or get the body only, a Valiant Concepts head, and choose your own M Series drop in, or, again, have Gene create one for you. Nothing else recommended on this thread could be as bulletproof as a Malkoff flashlight, if you need that sort of quality and durability. Malkoff's are weapon lights designed to withstand the shock of discharge and recoil over and over and over.

FWIW I don't know where you can get a single AA flashlight that does 300Lm, let alone 600Lm, except for the Zebralight SC5w II, current regulated (unlike others suggested here and above, this means constant brightness!), 550Lm steps down after 3 minutes to 407Lm, AA only, but it has an electronic side clicky, no momentary. SC5c II has HighCRI, but 475Lm max. Both on backorder, takes two weeks to arrive after order.

You have not mentioned 14500 Li-ion... but those lights will do 600Lm, and the Tool AA 2.0 will accept both AA and 14500 Li-ion secondaries.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, I'm sure what you said about the Malkoff is correct, but I already added the disclaimer of no customs in my original post, as I barely understood a single thing of what you said. The stock light you linked is too dim for what I'm looking for, and seems to have 3 modes, not 2. That's about the only thing I can say. Don't care about 14500 as I use Eneloop Pros in these lights. Regarding the Tool, forward clicky is absolutely a must have for me. TruNite AA is not Dual output and has no proud rear switch. And not bright enough. I actually own a ThruNite Ti5T AAA and cant say I like it very much. Too fiddly interface (with that strobe), bad color temp. and beam pattern and just overall not very nice to use for my taste.

Unless you can walk a complete Electronics and programming illiterate like me through exactly what I have to do to that Malkoff to make it do what I want (Alternating 5 to 15 Lm low mode, and 300+ high), I'm just gonna have to consider this one a loss. Sorry, seems to be a watchmaker trade disease.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies for the Greek, I just assumed English was your native tongue.

Meet the breaks. You'll never find a 300Lm AA light, definitely never find a 600Lm AA light, unless it be Zebralight SC5w II or SC5c II sideclicky. Sorry, they simply do not exist otherwise, unless you go to 14500, or unless you get over no custom.

Forward clickys are generally not seen on lights with modes. The ThruNite examples I listed were freaks. The reason is it is impossible to change modes with a forward clicky while the light is on, and generally users just want to grab a light and turn it on, not choose the mode first, and then turn it on. You'll always forget to do that.

So go custom, or go 2xAA, or go 14500, or just forget about it. And btw, I feel your pain. Many want this, even with abysmal runtime. Only Zebralight has achieved it, and they are fantastic excellent quality lights if you can forgo momentary and forward tailclicky. Everyone compromises, and trust me, everyone is happy with their lights.

Modes
Forward clicky
Single AA

Chose any two.

:welcome:

Last edited:

amtaham

Newly Enlightened
Olight i5T EOS or Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 (or the newest Lumintop EDC AA) are may be the best one for you. They are also available in different colors.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies for the Greek, I just assumed English was your native tongue.

Meet the breaks. You'll never find a 300Lm AA light, definitely never find a 600Lm AA light, unless it be Zebralight SC5w II or SC5c II sideclicky. Sorry, they simply do not exist otherwise, unless you go to 14500, or unless you get over no custom.

Forward clickys are generally not seen on lights with modes. The ThruNite examples I listed were freaks. The reason is it is impossible to change modes with a forward clicky while the light is on, and generally users just want to grab a light and turn it on, not choose the mode first, and then turn it on. You'll always forget to do that.

So go custom, or go 2xAA, or go 14500, or just forget about it. And btw, I feel your pain. Many want this, even with abysmal runtime. Only Zebralight has achieved it, and they are fantastic excellent quality lights if you can forgo momentary and forward tailclicky. Everyone compromises, and trust me, everyone is happy with their lights.

Modes
Forward clicky
Single AA

Chose any two.

:welcome:

So you just ignore everything in the posts before yours?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you just ignore everything in the posts before yours?

Oh, my sincere apologies! Where did I miss the AA forward clicky w/ 2 modes and 300Lm? I would never recommend a light burdened with PWM and a plastic TIR, even if no one cares. So, yes, of course, I just ignore the posts above mine. Nice catch! I didn't think anyone would notice.

I admit, I have bias against Olight due to the notoriously poor quality Li-ion cells that they labeled with their brand. Granted, it shouldn't make any difference with an AA light, but there it is.

Thank you, lightfooted, for getting me to go back and find this:

I will also say the Olight i5T is they closest out there to what you are looking for, except for one thing. Color temperature of Olight is cool white and not what I would call a pure white, but with a tinge of green. I wish they offered it in a neutral or warm tint as those are my preferences as well. If you can live with that, the light certainly seems to meet all of your other requirements.

Only thing: I have one of the older S1R Batons from Olight, and after only a year or so it started not working properly. It will no longer stay in one of the two turbo modes, and will dial back to low after only a couple seconds. After that all modes but low and medium are inaccessible. Makes be worry a bit about long-term durability of olights.

Olumin, you should probably listen to lightfooted, he makes a very good point... that I tend to ignore what comes before. The Olight is so cheap, you can get 4 of them, in case there are problems with the other 3, which it is not clear you should not expect.

Just do me a favor and stay away from any Olight branded cells.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much appreciate every suggestion. I have noticed problems with PWM on other lights before, and noticed flickering on low modes and/or on low battery. Very much not a "feature" I am looking for. Since I already had a bad experience with Olight batteries, I will be sure to take your word for it.

I must admit, going from a Surefire to a Olight does seem like a downgrade. Even if my requitements are technically fulfilled, I cannot but wonder if there is a nicer option out there.

What 14500 options are there? Since you mentioned that before.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 14500 options are there? Since you mentioned that before.

There are a lot of 14500 lights now, and they are very popular here. But off the top of my head, I cannot produce any with 2 modes and a forward clicky. Others that know will suggest some... in the meantime I'll go see if I can find those that are just like that. I want to know, too.

Up first, the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA! ~$40. Momentary. As far as I can tell, no one has detected PWM. Uses either AA, 14500, CR123A, or 16340. Dual springs, that's nice. I think it might have 2 modes, but sadly also appears to have a strobe. Someone here knows about this light. I can't find any review at CPF, just this thread exploring the desire and features (IMO most non-CPF reviews are usually effusive and not objective, often leave out the information we want).

Default interface is weird, H S L, but may be programmable to hide the weirdness, and get it to do L H S, and then just ignore the strobe (don't activate it). We have a winner. The 3rd programmable mode is L H no strobe. Press twice for high and hold or click to turn on.

Max on Li-ion is 350Lm, which is luke warm afa Li-ion brightness goes. The light is not new, and newer lights are more efficient and will see 700-900Lm. On AA, it might be 160Lm.

Depending on how strobe is activated, this light will go on my own list. Even as unattractive as it is, I can live with it, it will work the way we want, plus extras. But I'll probably have the emitter swapped for something neutral or warm and HighCRI.

Lunch time.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interface of that Streamlight is not at all what I'm looking for. Also seems quite big, probably due to it also taking Cr123s. I don't think I could comfortably carry that in my 5th pocket, I tried quite a few Cr123 sized lights over the years. It's also missing the proud rear switch. I'm gonna pass on this one.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interface of that Streamlight is not at all what I'm looking for.

I must have misunderstood? Mode group 3 is L-H & Momentary. What was the interface you wanted again?

Also seems quite big, probably due to it also taking Cr123s. I don't think I could comfortably carry that in my 5th pocket, I tried quite a few Cr123 sized lights over the years. It's also missing the proud rear switch. I'm gonna pass on this one.

Fair enough.

Coast has a number of momentary 2 mode lights, but none single AA that I can find. Their single AA lights are momentary single mode. I believe Klarus has something in AA momentary and 2 modes. Pelican has something H L S in single AA and momentary, but no avoiding the strobe.

Not single AA, but 2xAA or CR123A/16340, emitter options, not two modes, many many modes on easy one handed rotary, stout momentary. Small. Tough. Have you looked at HDS?

If neither the AA Malkoff or AA Streamlight interest you, just get the Olight, maybe you won't notice the PWM. It is cheap enough you can gift it if you don't like it.

But if you're a snitch... then you have very skilled hands and fine tools, and you can probably make your own tools. Build this light, make it available, we'll buy it.

I'm beat. Good luck.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a dual-output light that switches back and fourth from low, and then high at the press (or momentary) of the rear switch, just like my Surefire G2X. The Streamlight requires a double Tap to get into high. That might seem small to some but for me it's a big difference. I suppose I'm quite specific about that, maybe a bit too much so.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a dual-output light that switches back and fourth from low, and then high at the press (or momentary) of the rear switch, just like my Surefire G2X. The Streamlight requires a double Tap to get into high. That might seem small to some but for me it's a big difference. I suppose I'm quite specific about that, maybe a bit too much so.

On the G2X, if you hold but not press, and it is low... and you know it is going to be low, how do you get to high? A double press. I am reasonably sure the Streamlight simply goes back and forth, once programmed for mode group 3. Right? If in high, one press to low, double press to high. I don't see how the G2X could be any different, what was confusing is how the video reviewer described it. Press low, release, press high is the same as double press high. In high, release, one press low, release, one press high. I can't imagine from low you have to release and press fast twice for high. Check out some other video reviews. Unless it is too big. It certainly isn't attractive.

You're familiar with Surefire. The EDCL1-T is a CR123A light, but it has a much better interface than what you're looking for... they call it a gas pedal here (don't watch for more than 30 seconds, just demonstrative), press lightly, low, press harder, high, just like the original A2... then twist for constant on.

Latest posts