HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA Compact light with tail switch and dual output. This must be doable right guys?

Default Re: AA Compact light with tail switch and dual output. This must be doable right guys

Well, after much wait and delay (due to the German customs office ), I have finally received my very first Malkoff. A MDC HA 1CR123 in NW.

Obviously, I have just received this light, so I am just going to make some initial observations, which I think is fair enough.

I am sadly a little disappointed.
    - The light cannot be locked out as the threading is not anodized (on purpose). It doesnít really make a practical difference as the switch is shrouded, but I do not know why they left this feature out.

- This was no surprise to me (because it is clearly stated on their site), but the light cannot take rechargeable Li-ion batteries. The maximum input voltage claimed safe is 3.3V. Malkoff sells a head for this light which can run on Li-ions (sadly not currently available), but why in heavens name they decided NOT to make ALL of them accept rechargeables in the first place remains a mystery to me. This is sadly an oversight. It is also not sized to accept 18mm cells (why?). All this is no deal-breaker because the light runs on but a single cell, but still. Come on.

- The switch on this light is very disappointing, not to say outright bad. It is by far the worst clicky switch I have recently used on a flashlight. When compared to my SureFires it does not hold a candle. It is quite scratchy, has almost no travel before activation (and it takes almost no force) and there is a lot of air between the switch boot and the switch, which leads to an akward momentary press. I do not know if this is a forward Mcclicky like Malkoff uses on some of their other lights, but whatever it is, it is not great. Or maybe itís just mine, who knows. EDIT: It is a Mcclicky.

- The interface is very different than expected. When Malkoff states that "OFF-Time has no relation to mode switching in this light", they mean it. When last left on Medium (for example), the light will turn ON high even days later. Meaning you will have to make sure to activate this light for at least 1 second before switching it off, otherwise it will advance mode the next time you turn it on. As many of us like to fidget with their lights, this is a bit inconvenient. Also, I find the ON-Time Mode switching to be quite unintuitive compared to the more traditional OFF-Time switching (like SF uses). However that might change with time. I unfortunately misunderstood how this interface was supposed to work when I initially placed the order. Would I have known, I might not have done so.

Positives: Fantastic build quality and surface finish (coating). Very nice ergonomically and a nice size for EDC. Good beam (not fantastic, slight halo on outer edge of beam), with good throw and spill as well as fantastic tint (4000k NW). The shrouded Button is comfortable to access and provides secure tail standing. The clip is great, best I have had on a flashlight yet (durable and very functional). Modes are well chosen (well-spaced).

Overall, I am a bit let-down. I donít know if it is possible to replace the switch with something else. If it is, it might make this light a whole lot better. As it is, the crappy switch really keeps me from enjoying this light. Maybe I am just too used to my SFs.

EDIT: Yes the switch can be replaced, I am however unsure what I would replace it with, since Mcclickys are already considered among the best. Would a SureFire switch fit? Which one?
    Last edited by Olumin; 10-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Default Re: AA Compact light with tail switch and dual output. This must be doable right guys

Quote Originally Posted by Olumin View Post
    ...but the light cannot take rechargeable Li-ion batteries. The maximum input voltage claimed safe is 3.3V.
    So it can't take 3.6/3.7/4.2V Li-ion ICR/IMR/INR 16340, but most RCR123A are actually IFR aka LFP aka LiFePO4, which charges to 3.7V but will rest within minutes to 3.4V and soon as it sees a load it drops to 3.2V and rides that output (depending on load) until it is empty. Someone will know if LiFePO4 cells are safe for that head.

The switch on this light is very disappointing, not to say outright bad. It is by far the worst clicky switch I have recently used on a flashlight. When compared to my SureFires it does not hold a candle. It is quite scratchy, has almost no travel before activation (and it takes almost no force) and there is a lot of air between the switch boot and the switch, which leads to an akward momentary press. I do not know if this is a forward Mcclicky like Malkoff uses on some of their other lights, but whatever it is, it is not great. Or maybe itís just mine, who knows. EDIT: It is a Mcclicky.
    Unless I am mistaken there are 2 kinds of McClicky, soft press, which that must be, and hard press, which is the same size but, you guessed it, takes a harder press to activate.

Seems to me you may be overlooking something, and that is that you didn't just buy a flashlight, you bought an E Series. That means there are a bunch of different heads (LED 1 or multiple modes or incan and different lamps, or a McGizmo head, or Oveready) and/or a bunch of different bodies you can use (including all of Surefire E Series but also Lumens Factory plain copies, and a few McGizmo paks, as well as some fivemega bodies, and RPM bodies... and others... as well as various tail caps for bodies that accept them... and E to C adapters that allow you to use a z44 head and run P60 dropins). Start with a search at Lumens Factory for "E Series"

And congratulations.
    Last edited by chillinn; 10-19-2020 at 04:20 PM.

LiFePO4 will work in this light. The runntimes of those 3.2V cells are however abysmal (like 400mAh), and not really an alternative to a regular 16340 or 18350, which can have more then double the capacity.

I did know of the compatabillity with other E series parts, I did however not know of the two different kinds of Mcclicky switches. If I can find a hard press one somwhere that ships to germany I will definitely try one of those out.

i5t EOS revisited. It was suggested above, and I helped blow it off for Olight's poor reputation in their cells, but mostly for the specter of PWM.

stolen from a ZeroAir review:

I don't know what this is, but it isn't PWM. Maybe it is current regulation? The excellent ZeroAir review has helped me soften my opinion, and I think maybe Olumin and I should both get one to see for ourselves. It is very close to what Olumin asked for in the first place, AA, tail switch forward clicky with two modes. I still don't like the Osram P9 emitter or tint, but that is an easy fix with either filter or emitter swap. I don't like the TIR either, unless there is a lens on top of it to prevent it from being scratched, but I suppose I could live with it. But I can't really tell for certain about i5t until I see the low mode myself.

This action shot below, however, is obviously complete marketing BS... the TIR beam profile is reported to be mostly spot and have hardly any spill. You can see the beam in the shot... it could not be making all that bright spill on the ground if it is pointed up! Come on! Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Thanks for posting that, vadimax.
    Last edited by chillinn; 10-20-2020 at 06:40 PM.

If I can find the titanium version for
    a good price in germany IĎll pick one up. The german Olight store does not list them yet, but the UK store does.
    Last edited by Olumin; 10-21-2020 at 01:38 AM.

As others have said, the malkoff is the way to go. Truest top of the line quality and performance. The neutral xpg versions are about the perfect tint.

Three modes, not two. And like others have said you wonít find that type of output in a single cell format. That said, malkoff lumens somehow seem to be much brighter than the numbers indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    That said, malkoff lumens somehow seem to be much brighter than the numbers indicate.
    I can certainly concur with that. the "185 Lumen" on my MDC certainly seem much brighter then what I expected, even compared to other lights with similar outputs. And the 4000k tint is great, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    Oh, my sincere apologies! Where did I miss the AA forward clicky w/ 2 modes and 300Lm? I would never recommend a light burdened with PWM and a plastic TIR, even if no one cares. So, yes, of course, I just ignore the posts above mine. Nice catch! I didn't think anyone would notice.

I admit, I have bias against Olight due to the notoriously poor quality Li-ion cells that they labeled with their brand. Granted, it shouldn't make any difference with an AA light, but there it is.

Thank you, lightfooted, for getting me to go back and find this:

Olumin, you should probably listen to lightfooted, he makes a very good point... that I tend to ignore what comes before. The Olight is so cheap, you can get 4 of them, in case there are problems with the other 3, which it is not clear you should not expect.

Just do me a favor and stay away from any Olight branded cells.
    So I left this alone for a while because of other things but I see you ignored the Olight due to the thought that they use PWM? I own them and I don't see any PWM not even on camera so I have to assume that you must have tested it with some sort of electronic measuring device. Fair enough but if it IS there it is not detectable by the usual means. Also the beam profile in that picture is actually very close to what you get in person. At least mine are. The pic might be over exposed as it seems brighter...but maybe not. Anyway, obviously it doesn't matter now.
    Last edited by lightfooted; 10-21-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    So I left this alone for a while because of other things but I see you ignored the Olight due to the thought that they use PWM? I own them and I don't see any PWM not even on camera so I have to assume that you must have tested it with some sort of electronic measuring device. Fair enough but if it IS there it is not detectable by the usual means. Also the beam profile in that picture is actually very close to what you get in person. At least mine are. The pic might be over exposed as it seems brighter...but maybe not. Anyway, obviously it doesn't matter now.
    Hey lightfooted, I just want to point out that whether or not something can be detected is rather irrelevant, it is whether it is there or not that matters. You're not alone, many CPF members have in the past assumed if PWM is there but can't be seen, then it doesn't matter, but this is clearly a mistake. PWM might actually be harmful, and whether you can neither see nor detect something that is harmful has no bearing on its ability to harm. Consider carbon monoxide, my favorite counter-example. You will never see or smell carbon dioxide, but if enough of it is there, you're dead. To use this example with you're own words to underscore the point: I don't see any carbon monoxide not even on camera so I have to assume that you must have tested it with some sort of electronic measuring device. Fair enough but if it IS there it is not detectable by the usual means.

But I think you're right that it doesn't matter now as a reviewer has given us evidence that the i5t does not utilize PWM, so whomever suggested this (that I repeated) was mistaken (and so was I), but maybe whatever that saw wave is in the lower mode can be seen. I'm not sure I care, so long as it is not PWM nor harmful.

btw, I came across another flashlight model that may match the OP's original request, though it is not a recent release. There is a quick review of it here, Klarus P1A quick review.
    Last edited by chillinn; 10-21-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Do you have any information/source regarding the whole PWM being harmful thing? Harmful in what way?

Many find it associated with eyestrain, nausea, and / or headache ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...so-Undesirable
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Olight does not specify emitter type, except CW?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Olight does not specify emitter type, except CW?
    No, but a review of the aluminum version does.

a ZeroAir review.... Osram P9 emitter

Flashaholic*

Thanks Chillinn, agreed with Zeroair conclusions..
    IMO best part of this Olight is the Ti and body spiral machining

I like that it is single AA, forward clicky and two mode. Worst thing about it is that it is an Olight... but maybe this light will eliminate my bias.

Iíve read that Olight pots many of their lights. Does anyone know if the i5T is potted? I assume it is not?

Well, that i5T Ti was an exciting purchase. Nice to see they limited the i5T Ti quantity to 2 per customer. Rather than getting 2, I padded my order with an i3T I don't need just for the free shipping. I get the feeling Olight's website is not getting swamped, and anyone that wants an i5T Ti at this discount will be able to get one. There is a countdown clock on the page, counting down the sale period, but they should have thought to have an inventory count down from 9999.

Thanks again for the heads up, vadimax.

If I can find the titanium version for
    a good price in germany IĎll pick one up. The german Olight store does not list them yet, but the UK store does.
    And what stops you from buying from UK? There is no import tax yet I guess.

I like that it is single AA, forward clicky and two mode. Worst thing about it is that it is an Olight... but maybe this light will eliminate my bias.
    You should clean your karma I guess Just kiddin

I have purchased some 6 lights from them and only one was dud. Olight readily replaced it with a newer and better version for free. But it was years ago.

Not available yet. Have to wait 6 more days...

It is bad marketing getting to me. "Olight" is a dumb name, no better than "Bright Flashlight" brand. From now on I will pronounce "Olight" like "Ol' ite."

Flashaholic*

O' Might Lite

I tried to order one of those Titanium i5ts just now on the German Olight store. I placed my order right at 8PM when they started the sale. I was about to pay just to get a notification from the website that the item is SOLD OUT. Sold out in less than a minute? How the hell is that even possible? Did they only have 10 in stock? Bots? Jesus, guess I wonít be getting one of those then.

I donít think I can actually order on the UK store outside the UK. The site states UK and Ireland only, and nowhere on their site do they list their shipping prices.
    Last edited by Olumin; 10-29-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Looks like all the stock was sold out at the original sale. Were you not able to access olightstore.com for that sale?

How can the stock of the german store have been sold out during the US sale? I dont think I understand the question. The German olight store ships from germany, not the US. They have seperate stock, just like the UK store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12