Acebeam X80-GT battery problems?

-Falk-

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. I recently bought a new Acebeam X80-GT flashlight, and the light is amazing and is working great. The battery that comes with it is 4 pieces of Acebeam 18650 batteries 3100mAh capacity. I needed an extra set of batteries to this flashlight and searched some and found 4 brand new Fenix 18650 batteries (with 3500mAh capacity) from a local dealer. I charged them with an
yy3qP48
and everything seems to be good (as shown in the picture). When I click on the light from the lowes mode, it works good, and every level works expect max turbo. This light has 5 levels of normal light, and 2 levels of turbo mode. When I click on the turbo mode, it works, but when I click on the second and highest turbo mode, the flashlight turns off, and the button does not work anymore. I have the turn the tail cap some off and back for it to turn on again.

Does anyone here have a clue what the problem could be? For me, the protected 18650 batteries seem identical except for the Fenix batteries having some higher mAh(Acebeam 3100mAh vs Fenix 3500mAh) Please see the provided pictures and video that show the batteries and the flashlight with both battery types.

(Batteries and charger)
https://imgur.com/a/yy3qP48
(The flashlight with Acebeam batteries)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srFAVrGr8Qo
(The flashlight with Fenix batteries)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e294yyzJxU

-Falk-

Newly Enlightened
Found some additional info here that is new to me. After looking closely at the battery holder and the yellow label (which is pretty difficult to read due to how it was placed) it says on this label "Must use high draining unprotected 18650 cells, or protected 18650 cells which PCB including 4 Mosfets" What on earth is 4 mosfets? (Yes, I am kind of newbie on this :()

Someone suggested that this light does require 18650 unprotected cells, but the batteries that comes with the light from Acebeam are protected cells. So clearly it is also meant for protected cells. But what is Mosfets on a battery cell such as proteced 18650 cells, and how does one tell which cells has PCB including 4 Mosfets?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is tripping the over current circutry of the Fenix cells. It is likely the Acebeam cells have a higher limit before the protection circuit trips.

-Falk-

Newly Enlightened
That seems like a logical explanation. So Acebeam has done something to their protective batteries that make them run this very demanding flashlight on the highest setting? How do I know what type of other protective batteries to use except for the Acebeam batteries? Or are one stuck with Acebeam batteries, or having to run unprotective cells? (And what on earth is a PCB including 4 Mosfets???😄)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is tripping the over current circutry of the Fenix cells. It is likely the Acebeam cells have a higher limit before the protection circuit trips.

This is what is going on. The Acebeam batteries are high drain and the Fenix are not. I think the Acebeam is a 20 amp rated battery draw. The Fenix is probably less that half that. Who knows if you need a 20 amp draw for the light but you probably need over 10 amp. Not all places sell high amperage protected batteries.
So the PCB Moffset verbiage is talking about the protection circuits in the battery. Not many protected batteries are that hi of an amperage rating.

Last edited:

-Falk-

Newly Enlightened
This is what is going on. The Acebeam batteries are high drain and the Fenix are not. I think the Acebeam is a 20 amp rated battery draw. The Fenix is probably less that half that. Who knows if you need a 20 amp draw for the light but you probably need over 10 amp. Not all places sell high amperage protected batteries.
So the PCB Moffset verbiage is talking about the protection circuits in the battery. Not many protected batteries are that hi of an amperage rating.
Would these protective cells work? https://www.illumn.com/18650-keeppo...igh-discharge-button-top-p1831r-r-series.html

-Falk-

Newly Enlightened
I just got this from in an email from acebeam.com about the Acebeam batteries https://imgur.com/a/6JRaJb0
(Please check the PDF file attached about the acebeam battery, then you will find why only acebeam battery can power for Turbo max of X80 GT)

"The red ring marked means the MOS set from the PCB circuit; One MOS can support/control 3A current; Acebeam flashlight needs at least 10A current from the high drain cells, so Acebeam battery built-in 4 MOS in PCB to make sure be released 12A current.

PS: The metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET, MOS-FET, or MOS FET) is a type of field-effect transistor (FET). It has an insulated gate, whose voltage determines the conductivity of the device. This ability to change conductivity with the amount of applied voltage can be used for amplifying or switching electronic signals."

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info you posted Falk. Looks like your pick of battery at Illumin should work.
You could always buy the Acebeam batteries to be extra sure.

Tranc3r

Newly Enlightened
18650 flashlights and batteries are a pain in the ***. Unprotected/protected/max current (Amps)/fysical size of batteries/buttonttoop or flat. Everything have to match to get alot of flashlights to work

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 flashlights and batteries are a pain in the ***. Unprotected/protected/max current (Amps)/fysical size of batteries/buttonttoop or flat. Everything have to match to get alot of flashlights to work

Your second post in 13 years: Re-Welcome to CPF!