---Unusual Use---

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
I imagine most can relate to resorting to a cell phone, lighter or some other quirky or less than ideal contraption for illumination. Or simply using lights in unusual ways.

Last night I was flashing the faces of mannequins along a spooky wagon ride through a pumpkin patch, to freak out my kids of course. The other day I was able to get situated by using the glow from my wrist watch, about as bright as a nearly dead glow stick. Sometimes the source can be at a distance, like using a street light to silhouette what I need to see.

Seeing through murky water is also good fun, especially with a light strong enough to punch through to spot a few monsters trolling the shallows. Which reminds me of how awesome glow-bobbers are. Nothing beats a hard strike making a glow-bobber dart all over like chartreuse lightning under the water.

Plenty of times I have used lights as pointers or to more easily reference what it is I am talking about. At other times a flashlight is as good and entertaining as a fidget spinner. I suppose the list is endless.

What about you? Any odd sources or interesting uses?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My diabetic insulin pump!

I use the light on that all the time as a sorta moonlight mode. Each of my pumps has had the ability for a sorta back-light and I have used all of them for many mid-night jaunts to the bathroom to avoid stubbing my toes.

Most expensive flashlight I own......

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not going to sound all that innovative, but I use my flashlights to bounce off the ceiling as room lamps all night, especially the tail standers, but not always the tail standers. I save empty OTC medicine bottles to hold little lights that don't tail stand pointed at the ceiling (e.g. Lumintop Tool AAA Nichia tail clicky). When I walk out of a room it goes dark, no installed lights are on, and I don't have to switch any lights off. This was easier living alone. Mom is always leaving lights on. :/ But after she sleeps, the flashlight room lamp party begins.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I work with HVAF and HVOF systems. They are extremely loud and we all wear hearing protection at my job. Very often the only way I can get my coworkers attention when there half a floor away is by using my light to get them to see me. Saves a lot of walking.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tail stand my old HDS Clicky on the lowest setting during a hot shower before bed. I've struggled with falling asleep in the past and I try to avoid exposure to bright light at night now.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with HVAF and HVOF systems. They are extremely loud and we all wear hearing protection at my job. Very often the only way I can get my coworkers attention when there half a floor away is by using my light to get them to see me. Saves a lot of walking.

I use my light(s) for such signalling fairly often - especially when I'd prefer to not (or can't) use my radio. It's very handy indeed! I don't even think of it as an 'unusual' use any more, but many probably would.

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Same Here---

dotCPF, I have a friend with a pump. Never saw it glow but it certainly beeps and hums a lot. "Most expensive flashlight..." lol.

Greenpond, all though recharging does get me loose with the lumens it also has me constantly topping off lights when I know they are still at 99%.

Chilinn, I do the exact when I go to bed. Much easier to switch off a flashlight on my head board then walk across the room and turn off lamps. Also stops me from breaking my toes on furniture in the dark.

Slumber, I have done the same but with glow sticks. Even those can be too bright though. I have to admit I do love to sit down in a steamy shower for a half hour or so. Whether it's to fight a head cold or just soak the bones it's the best feeling.

Thermal and aznsx, I can relate. I used a lot of hand and light signals in the Army since Uncle Sugar was not up for providing my unit with radios. The upside was that people had to pay closer attention to each other but radios would have been nice.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mouth Lamp.
Too lazy to spend two minutes to go get a proper light.
98% of the time the EDC light or Bed stand light are articulately aimed while held in my mouth :(.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long ago, I used a Maglite Solitaire body as a pill container and a cut down Minimag as a larger container. Tried using a more powerful light as a mammogram tool but didn't know how to interpret the results.

pill-holder2.jpg

minimag-cut.jpg

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used my Convoy M2 to set the phone camera's exposure waaaaaaay down so I could take a picture of the sun. It was a beautiful orange ball and I couldn't pass up on the photo op, but on regular exposure it was white, and pointing at a lightbulb on the hall wasn't enough, so I thought of my torch.

It sorta worked - on the picture, the sun is visible as it was, at the cost of everything else but the sky being pitch black.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes when watching a spooky video or stream at night, I like to turn off all the lights in my room and illuminate it just using a flashlight on a low setting (5 - 15lm), either by holding it in my hand or using it as a candle.

Yea, yea. Laugh all you want, but when the void laughs back at you don't come running back to me.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Sometimes when watching a spooky video or stream at night, I like to turn off all the lights in my room and illuminate it just using a flashlight on a low setting (5 - 15lm), either by holding it in my hand or using it as a candle.

Yea, yea. Laugh all you want, but when the void laughs back at you don't come running back to me.

I like doing that while playing creepy games. The atmosphere would only be better if I had an Anduril light that I could set on candle mode. :candle:

Last edited:

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Lights Out !!!
I have driven at night using a Flashlight in place of the OEM integrated headlamps :)

On a side note I did the same thing except I used a night vision monocular.
Just to see what It was like..don't recommend It.