Replacement for Energizer Micro headlamp with both white and red LEDs?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CPF,

I am Googled out. After a few nights of searching, I have pretty much determined that I will not be able to find a suitable replacement for my trusty old Energizer headlamp.

MB3uFvI.jpg

I have an old 1AA Energizer Micro LED headlamp that I upgraded with a 4000K Samsung LH351D LED. Despite it's age, it is still an awesome headlamp. Unfortunately, the strain reliefs on the wires are deteriorating, and the strap is starting to lose it's elasticity. It has a fantastic diffused white beam, and secondary red LEDs. While I never use the red, my son has really taken a liking to the headlamp and the red LEDs. The rear mounted battery is a plus, as it makes the headlamp almost unnoticeable.

Is there a modern 1AA headlamp with both white and red LEDs? I have found a few cheaper options, but they don't have the tilt feature which is really useful when working on something up close. Also, most of the white/red LED headlamps that I can find are 3x AAA junk.

Worst case, I could let my son have the old Energizer (with it's flaws), and let my wife buy my a floody 1AA headlamp for Christmas. Probably a ZebraLight H503c AA LH351D 4000K.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a modern 1AA headlamp with both white and red LEDs?

Armytek Wizard WR, sold out at Armytek, but available on Amazon. Not really a new model. I have no idea if this model is any good, but it does do white and red and is 1AA sized, but likely has a 14500 or 16340 built in, with built in charger. It is priced to be a decent light, and there is a following of Armytek owners. If you bite, I would immediately have the white emitters swapped out for something sw45 4500K HighCRI Nichia... maybe 219c if the 219b can't handle the amps, and this at a loss of top brightness, but worth it. YMMV

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sea your WTB. Check your in box.
PM replied. Thank you!

Armytek Wizard WR, sold out at Armytek, but available on Amazon. Not really a new model. I have no idea if this model is any good, but it does do white and red and is 1AA sized, but likely has a 14500 or 16340 built in, with built in charger. It is priced to be a decent light, and there is a following of Armytek owners. If you bite, I would immediately have the white emitters swapped out for something sw45 4500K HighCRI Nichia... maybe 219c if the 219b can't handle the amps, and this at a loss of top brightness, but worth it. YMMV
Thank you for the reply. I am not a fan of ArmyTek headlamps. They are unusually big and heavy for their small battery size. I purchased a C1 Tiara and sold it before even using it once. For a 16340 cell light it was much too bulky, and I would expect the AA version to be the same. I have a nice ZebraLight headlamp, and will likely get the pure flood model. However, I am looking for a compact AA powered headlamp that is in the 70 - 120 lumen range for simple tasks. A secondary red light would be a bonus for my son, but not on my wish list.

distrbd

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF,

Is there a modern 1AA headlamp with both white and red LEDs? I have found a few cheaper options, but they don't have the tilt feature which is really useful when working on something up close. Also, most of the white/red LED headlamps that I can find are 3x AAA junk.
I have an older model Energizer headlamp that's 6-7 years old, it was a good headlamp when it was new but the last couple of years the strap has stretched way too far to be wearable so I know what you mean about these older headlamps, the older designs had one simple ON/OFF button so you didn't need to fiddle with them just to get to the right setting.

If you end up considering to upgrade to a slightly more modern but simpler headlamp, you might want to try something like FenixHM23, the price you see in my link is Canadian $ ,it does take a AA battery but that's it ,there's no red lights ,at least it's inexpensive, well made ,and a reliable brand in my humble opinion.

I ended up ordering a Sofrin SP-40 because it has a magnet on the end and takes one 18650 that I have plenty, and most of all it wasn't expensive. I only need to use a headlamp once or twice a year but when I do , I want a simple and reliable light. this seems to fit the bill.
Good luck with your search.
Ken.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
3L3M3NT, Thank you!

The Fenix HL16 is exactly the type of headlamp I was looking for! I found a like new Energizer Micro for my son, but will be picking up at few of the Fenix HL16s. I may even get a pink one for my wife.

You're welcome! Glad I could help you out. I actually bought 2 of the HL16s for my 2 nephews and they really enjoy using them while they're camping. I also purchased 2 of the HL30s for my sister and her husband, since they have a little bit more output than the HL16s do, so they have the extra light if they need it.

If you've never purchased from https://www.fenix-store.com/ you could order from them and get 20% off your first order. Here's the Fenix headlamps that run on just AA https://www.fenix-store.com/headlamps/?_bc_fsnf=1&Battery+Type=AA

Hope you enjoy your headlamps.:twothumbs

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are on track with the Zebralight...

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are on track with the Zebralight...

I love my ZebraLight headlamps. I will definitely be getting more! I am probably going to get the ZebraLight flood headlamp for Christmas. I prefer an all flood light when working on things up close. Especially electricity and plumbing.